Is a motorised dish worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
yup, I have seen many sparkies that are fully trained to the same level as me, but still like to bodge things and rip peoples houses apart just to save time and earn a bonus, lol, I got a load of grief from my last company because I did things properly and took longer than the other guys that worked for the company, made a few of them sick too, as me and my mate got offered gifts by the residents houses we had rewired, kinda gives you a glow when you know your work is good and the people you have done work for tell their friends to "make sure you get those 3" lol.

Sorted a motorised out today, I knew the company who fitted it & were CIA & RDI - all the usual classics, the motor's elevation was set to the latitude & vice versa ( I kid you not, you do still see that old one lol) , the pole was the usual 2" crushed aerial pole, the brackets were good galvanised T & Ks but installed as though they were fitting an aerial pole, the standoff was too short causing the dish to hit the wall early & completely unnecessarily & installed to a bodged diseqc 1.2 fashion to make up for a bad install & certainly not a pro diseqc 1.2 install where you could swap between 1.2 & USALS & finally telling the customer he'd got 1w to 28e? plus it had another big problem that would cause completely unnecessary damage & shorten the life of the motor in certain circumstances causing unnecessary costs to the installer in call-outs & later the customer once the guarantee ran out. Good dish though - a steel 1m Gibi but with that daft older AZ/EL design)

Bit annoyed I wasn't allowed to move it to get a decent arc or swap the brackets for the right standoffs, still left with 39e to 37.5w, his own wall at 39w & his neighbour's roof at 39e- the one I did yesterday where I surveyed it got almost double that arc.

Sorted a motorised out today, I knew the company who fitted it & were CIA & RDI - all the usual classics, the motor's elevation was set to the latitude & vice versa ( I kid you not, you do still see that old one lol) , the pole was the usual 2" crushed aerial pole, the brackets were good galvanised T & Ks but installed as though they were fitting an aerial pole, the standoff was too short causing the dish to hit the wall early & completely unnecessarily & installed to a bodged diseqc 1.2 fashion to make up for a bad install & certainly not a pro diseqc 1.2 install where you could swap between 1.2 & USALS & finally telling the customer he'd got 1w to 28e? plus it had another big problem that would cause completely unnecessary damage & shorten the life of the motor in certain circumstances causing unnecessary costs to the installer in call-outs & later the customer once the guarantee ran out. Good dish though - a steel 1m Gibi but with that daft older AZ/EL design)

Bit annoyed I wasn't allowed to move it to get a decent arc or swap the brackets for the right standoffs, still left with 39e to 37.5w, his own wall at 39w & his neighbour's roof at 39e- the one I did yesterday where I surveyed it got almost double that arc.

You guys really know how to make me feel better LOL

I didn't see post above sorry .. but that's exactly how I just spend this afternoon.

As i said Qualifications and membership of either group does not qualify anyone to fit a Motorised or even a fixed dish, You also have to look at even most of these guys with years of experience probably could not do a 36v motor job either basically because they would not know where to start, And thats also probably why i see Gibby 1.25m stuck on a dark motor or a TM2600 because they dont have a clue how to do 36v with Actuator.

And to this
bodged diseqc 1.2 fashion to make up for a bad install & certainly not a pro diseqc 1.2 install where you could swap between 1.2 & USALS

Thats something i dont agree with either there is no pro Diseqc 1.2 install and by that i mean if the Install is done correctly on USALS then even if you switched to Diseqc 1.2 you should see Zero difference in the levels in other words they both cancel each other out due to the Install tracking the ARC correctly if you see a difference then its not been setup correctly

Just my opinion of course

As i said Qualifications and membership of either group does not qualify anyone to fit a Motorised or even a fixed dish, You also have to look at even most of these guys with years of experience probably could not do a 36v motor job either basically because they would not know where to start, And thats also probably why i see Gibby 1.25m stuck on a dark motor or a TM2600 because they dont have a clue how to do 36v with Actuator.

As I said I didn't see your post but after rereading it again & the above I think that says you agree anyway

And to this

Thats something i dont agree with either there is no pro Diseqc 1.2 install and by that i mean if the Install is done correctly on USALS then even if you switched to Diseqc 1.2 you should see Zero difference in the levels in other words they both cancel each other out due to the Install tracking the ARC correctly if you see a difference then its not been setup correctly

Just my opinion of course

A few top enthusiasts and sat pros do prefer diseqc 1.2 to USALS on a USALS motor.

USALS works to 0.1 degree resolution but at the latitude of the North West for example, in diseqc 1.2 mode, certain diseqc motor and receiver combinations can give a higher resolution of nearly 40 steps per degree and so they can be installed in diseqc 1,2 mode almost 4 times more accurately than USALS and obviously you can swap to USALS at any time and easily be within the lower 0.1 resolution of USALS but you couldn't consistently do it that accurately using USALS.

As I said I didn't see your post but after rereading it again & the above I think that says you agree anyway

A few top enthusiasts and sat pros do prefer diseqc 1.2 to USALS on a USALS motor.

USALS works to 0.1 degree resolution but at the latitude of the North West for example, in diseqc 1.2 mode, certain diseqc motor and receiver combinations can give a higher resolution of nearly 40 steps per degree and so they can be installed in diseqc 1,2 mode almost 4 times more accurately than USALS and obviously you can swap to USALS at any time and easily be within the lower 0.1 resolution of USALS but you couldn't consistently do it that accurately using USALS.

Thats good info to know, probably would have been a future question from me :D

I would say that depends on the motor being used and the software deployed onto said motor for it to calculate the positions as far as i am aware only STAB are allowed to use the official Eutelsat USALS system as they had some input with Eutelsat on the design and the calculation software that was implemented, Probably why STAB motors are the only Diseqc motor officially licensed to use the USALS software all other manufacturers had to alter theirs for copyright reasons. Which i would guess results in the exactness some of these brands of motors can actually pinpoint a satellite.

You will have seen it yourself in the Branding Diseqc 1.3, GotoX etc.. i find the STAB to be the most accurate out of all the ones i have tried including , TM2xxx, Superjack, Dark motor etc...

Thats good info to know, probably would have been a future question from me :D

You don't need to get into it at that level, that's just showing the difference between using diseqc 1.2 to fix a bad instyall or using it at the top level for diseqc motors, most are installed using USALS and if it's all to a good standard you can just enjoy using them for years & years unless you want to take it further.

It's surprising how good most motors are after seeing so many installed for so many years in some exposed places and the harsh weather they'll withstand and how well they can do long term, even old plastic geared early Moteck 2100As or the early TM plastic geared ones with 1m dishes on don't do bad after years.

install should be happening within the next 2 weeks now :D

Spoke to another couple of installers and had another 3 surveys, one suggested getting a Pent 85 dish instead of the orbital or TD110, he said it was better for separation, as if my choices weren't hard enough, I get a new dish thrown into my choices.
Anyone use one of these dishes ? are they better than an orbital, TD110 or Gibby ??
They do look interesting lol, only £25 more than the orbital I had priced up.

ok, went for the TD110 dish, dark motor and black ultra Lnb, just waiting for the dish to be delivered now :D

Sorted the box out, re-flashed with the latest image from WOS, box is working much, much better, now I just have to figure out why the EPG isnt showing now/next for all channels :(

should be motorized by this time next week :)

everyone book a holiday, theres gonna be more Q's LMAO

great news baggie... my vbox drives my dish not the sat receiver.
in all the time i had my 1m motor dish , i only ever needed 1 lnb arm..
best thing i ever bought... thousands of channels...
Fab

great news baggie... my vbox drives my dish not the sat receiver.
in all the time i had my 1m motor dish , i only ever needed 1 lnb arm..
best thing i ever bought... thousands of channels...
Fab

TY M8, cant wait to start scanning lol, in talks with Pedro at the moment, still trying to find a decent installer, Pedro is very highly recommended on a few other forums, so I am guaranteed a top install, just hope he can travel and it wont kill my bank balance lol, but if he can do it, I wont have to worry about it not being done properly.
The wait is killing me lol, wifey is already complaining about the "thats f&*%ing taking the ****, its bloody huge" dish in my hallway :D

TY M8, cant wait to start scanning lol, in talks with Pedro at the moment, still trying to find a decent installer, Pedro is very highly recommended on a few other forums, so I am guaranteed a top install, just hope he can travel and it wont kill my bank balance lol, but if he can do it, I wont have to worry about it not being done properly.
The wait is killing me lol, wifey is already complaining about the "thats f&*%ing taking the ****, its bloody huge" dish in my hallway :D

I cant see it being Cheap

I cant see it being Cheap

TBH digi I am expecting it to be more than most of the quotes I have had already, as long as I think its reasonable for a quality install then it will be worth it imo.

Had a load of surveys/quotes now lol, all ranging from £80 (I supply everything) to £175 (installer supplies everything)

I know Pedro uses braced T&K's too which he sells for £48, plus he will want to cover his 350 mile diesel bill lol, so we will see what his quote is, if its too extortionate then its back to "one I rang earlier" installers and hope they do a good job.

im not saying anything as regards pedro... installation god. your install isnt anything major from what i can see. scaff pole, 2 k,s and a t provided by the installer about £180 to £200. i think you a looking to much into it now your not having jodrel bank fitted on your house its a south facing above the gutter install. a couple of hours to put it up and 1 hour to set it up and show you how it all works,regards mdt

TBH digi I am expecting it to be more than most of the quotes I have had already, as long as I think its reasonable for a quality install then it will be worth it imo.

Had a load of surveys/quotes now lol, all ranging from £80 (I supply everything) to £175 (installer supplies everything)

I know Pedro uses braced T&K's too which he sells for £48, plus he will want to cover his 350 mile diesel bill lol, so we will see what his quote is, if its too extortionate then its back to "one I rang earlier" installers and hope they do a good job.

I can only roughly quote from the prices i have seen on the website and with the journey dont expect much change between £500-£600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back