Receiver choice advice

Gedwal

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I apologise in advance if I'm posting this to the incorrect area of the site.
I am Gerard Walden and hoping to gain some experienced advice from the members of this forum.
I have just cancelled sky broadband and sky q after many years. I have found the cost of Q is getting
out of proportion. There is seldom any thing on the site that warrants the cost and having just purchased
a Hisense smart TV most of the available apps cover any thing I may be missing.
I will soon be left with a Sky Q dish and decided that rather rely on terrestrial TV I would exploit the dish
and look into Freesat. After a bit of investigation I soon realised the only deedicated 4K devise was the Freesat
box but reviews are terrible. I was surprised to see how little equipment there was out there until it dawned upon
me that all my ebay searches always related to Freesat. Upon changing my search to Satellite Receiver I soon became
aware that there is a world of satellite technology out there beyond Freesat, Humax, Manhattan etc.
The problem I have now is a new learning curve. As a retired person I have time on my side and spent the last
couple of weeks on my laptop learning what I can and probably need if I'm going to go down the route of Technomate,
Eddison Zgemma and all the other makes out there. Back in the mid eighties I started playing with computers and that interest
led to me building and repairing PC's and laptops and more recently installing alternative versions of Android on phones
so I'm perfectly happy to get involved with which ever receiver I eventually purchase, indeed I look forward to it as a new venture.
And this is where hopefully you experienced people will lend a hand and point me in the right direction.
The Freesat box I had been looking at cost £260 and I would like to keep to that budget or lower. I would like
a 4k device that can record up to three programs at once and with internal HDD, SDD or even USB memory stick support.
I have just discovered the Technomate TM-Twin-4K which looks promising but I would like a bit of advise where it points
out in the description that it can record up to 7 channels with 2 transponders. I feel there is a But there somewhere. Hopefully
I'm wrong but this is still part of my learning curve.
That's it for now, I hope I'm not going to get ticked off ranting, as the rules say, and look fro to receiving advice from those
that are happy to offer it and many thanks to those who do.

Having now spent some time reading about various receivers and gaining some understanding of what I think need, I feel my requirements
will be a receiver with 4k and fbc tuner or tuners. My question now is, do fbc tuners only work with a unicable LNB.

Having now spent some time reading about various receivers and gaining some understanding of what I think need, I feel my requirements
will be a receiver with 4k and fbc tuner or tuners. My question now is, do fbc tuners only work with a unicable LNB.
No FBC Tuners can work with most LNB types Universal etc . Unicable LNB's will also work with none FBC tuner receivers.

But you get the most out of a FBC tuner with a Unicable lnb.

Basically you will have 2 hardware tuners and 6 virtual tuners, you can also use splitters to branch off to other receivers if you had any. With that setup as a test i have recorded over 20 programs at the same time all down 1 coax cable.

FBC tuners will work with universal LNBs too. But to get most of FBC tuners, i.e have 8 independent tuners, you would need a unicable LNB/switch.

I don't think you need an FBC tuner based on your description. But if that is what you want, the only brands that are available are Vu+ and Gigablue. How many channels are you planning to record?

The Technomate Twin 4K has a limited number of images for it, so may be better for you to get a Zgemma or Octagon.

The recording question comes up pretty often. You can access as many transponders as you have tuners with signal. So if you have 2 tuners with signal, you can record all the channels on two transponders subject encryption etc. I did 12 recordings with a TM Twin about 10years ago

Hi all, firstly I must how say grateful I am to those responding to my questions. I think I would have been hard pushed to have found a more helpful forum than DigitalWorldz. Did try another but found it impossible to register and gave up.
So here we go back to pestering again. My intention to go with fbc tuners was only based on what limited information I've picked up so far. Help from Ferret and Abu Baniaz inform me I don't need fbc tuners for my needs. During the time I've used the Sky Q box I've probably never recordered more than 4 programs at once. I had previously looked at the Octagon SF8008. Is this capable of recording up to 4 shows can somebody tell how it's done. Further advice on receivers that can be recommended will welcome. What ever receiver I purchase I am trying to future proof myself as best I can.
I have a lot more technical questions I would like help on but shall leave that for another time.

After earlier advice from Ferret and Abu Baniaz regarding whether fbc tuners are necessary for my requirements I have since taken a
look at the Zgemma H7S. From the knowledge I'm slowly gaining with help from Digitalworldz members and reading online reviews this
piece of equipment certainly seems as if it will meet my needs.
I need to know if there is a way that I can record up to four programs at the same time. I have to say I have probably only recorded four programs once and three on a few occasions but it would still be nice just in case. It seems as though a Universal or Hybrid LNB will work with the Zgemma. I don't know if that will have any impact on my requirements.
And secondly does anyone know If having changed to one of the above LNB's if my Sky Q box will still work. My contract with Sky finishes 17th May and I would like to get an alternative receiver up and running before then. However the Zgemma H7S from World of Satellite does come Freesat ready so initial setup may not be too bad for someone with my lack of experience.
One again shall bow to the advice any members care to offer. If there's a means of recording three or four shows with a standard tuner my only priority will be 4K and preferably internal hard drive or usb recordiing.

Hi all, firstly I must how say grateful I am to those responding to my questions. I think I would have been hard pushed to have found a more helpful forum than DigitalWorldz. Did try another but found it impossible to register and gave up.
So here we go back to pestering again. My intention to go with fbc tuners was only based on what limited information I've picked up so far. Help from Ferret and Abu Baniaz inform me I don't need fbc tuners for my needs. During the time I've used the Sky Q box I've probably never recordered more than 4 programs at once. I had previously looked at the Octagon SF8008. Is this capable of recording up to 4 shows can somebody tell how it's done. Further advice on receivers that can be recommended will welcome. What ever receiver I purchase I am trying to future proof myself as best I can.
I have a lot more technical questions I would like help on but shall leave that for another time.
If your Dish was used for Sky Q you'll most likely need to replace that LNB on as it probably won't work with any receiver other than a Sky Q box unless its a highbrid LNB sky fitted to the dish.

After earlier advice from Ferret and Abu Baniaz regarding whether fbc tuners are necessary for my requirements I have since taken a
look at the Zgemma H7S. From the knowledge I'm slowly gaining with help from Digitalworldz members and reading online reviews this
piece of equipment certainly seems as if it will meet my needs.
I need to know if there is a way that I can record up to four programs at the same time. I have to say I have probably only recorded four programs once and three on a few occasions but it would still be nice just in case. It seems as though a Universal or Hybrid LNB will work with the Zgemma. I don't know if that will have any impact on my requirements.
And secondly does anyone know If having changed to one of the above LNB's if my Sky Q box will still work. My contract with Sky finishes 17th May and I would like to get an alternative receiver up and running before then. However the Zgemma H7S from World of Satellite does come Freesat ready so initial setup may not be too bad for someone with my lack of experience.
One again shall bow to the advice any members care to offer. If there's a means of recording three or four shows with a standard tuner my only priority will be 4K and preferably internal hard drive or usb recordiing.
Freesat ready lol

Id have the Octagon before the Zgemma H7 any day of the week ive had both.

You won't record 4 program seamlessly without a Unicable LNB and even then on a box without FBC tuners you'll run into limitations.

With a hybrid LNB you could use a skyQ box and any of the other receivers you have mentioned here. You may have a Hybrid LNB already fitted, its a long shot though and we won't be able to tell you without a picture of it. Again recording limitations will apply.

If you dont need the skyq box any more and you dont have a Hybrid LNB then just fit a Universal LNB to your dish. But your not recording 4 programs, unless they happen to be on say two TP's and then you will need a twin iniversal LNB with 2 cables one to each tuner of the H7 or Octagon.

Obliged for that Ferret, the Octagon SF8008 was the first I encountered that others recommended but I would be interested to hear why you would go for the Octagon. World of Satellite have a Hybrid LNB that has 2 wideband outputs and four universal. I've no idea if this is normal but it says able to connect to Sky Q box and regular satellite box. Will connecting to both tuners give me more than 2 channels of recording.
Thanks for the help you're giving me and look forward to further advice you can offer. Have looked on the Forum for any for sale items but they seem to be a bit thin on the ground.

Back again ferret, just had a good about the Octagon SF8008, the version that has been revised this year and I can see your appreciation
for this receiver. Only slightly better but seems to have better specs more future proof and it's encouraging to find a receiver that's not so dated it still has Scart connectors. Would still appreciate you advice on this recording lark, that is one thing I'm still struggling with.

Back again ferret, just had a good about the Octagon SF8008, the version that has been revised this year and I can see your appreciation
for this receiver. Only slightly better but seems to have better specs more future proof and it's encouraging to find a receiver that's not so dated it still has Scart connectors. Would still appreciate you advice on this recording lark, that is one thing I'm still struggling with.
There very close in spec.

The octagon in use feels quicker, gave me less trouble in terms of reliability and stability. Had a psu go down on the H7 no biggie but its there and the H7 used to slow down from time to time requiring a reboot to bring its zip back.

I sold the H7 and kept the octagon.

Seeing as you are going to need to change the LNB, then you might as well go for Unicable. (Make sure its Unicable II)

With regards to recording 4 channels at the same time, it is possible and impossible without FBC tuners, depending on which channels you are watching. Basically the way it works channels are arranged into groups called transponders each tuner you have on your receiver can record multiple channels from the same transponder. Therefore if the channels you want are on 4 different transponder you will only be able to record 2 of them as you have 2 tuners, if they all happen to be on 1 or 2 transponders you can record them all.

So yes in your case it might be worth looking at FBC.

Also on satellite 4k is a bit pointless in the UK as nothing is transmitted in 4k and i dont see that changing, that being sain the 4k boxes are faster etc.

Thanks for that jonMMM, that's a great help. Looks like my best choice will be fbc. The extra cost isn't really a deal breaker and I feel a bit more future proofed. Once I've settled on a receiver it's unlikely I shall change it often or connect another to it, my wife, not being very adventurous, likes to get a handle on something and leave it like that.
I would still appreciate comments from members for the best choice of fbc receiver. Looks as though at can only be a Gigablue option or Vu+, perhaps a solo or duo.

I have the Gigablue UHD UE 4K just because it was cheaper than the VU, its a great bit of kit. One advantage of the Enigma 2 receivers that no one has commented on is that use kodi on any android box etc and view live TV, recordings etc in any room on your network, this may be another reason to have extra tuners (isa bit like sky multiroom but free

I was hoping someone would come back with a positive on Gigablue UHD UE 4K. When I first started looking at the prospect of Satellite TV I was looking at a Freesat box but they get such terrible reviews I wrote off that idea and I'm glad I did. It seems there might be one two issues with regular type receivers but they also appear to be more controllable.
I notice the Unicable LNB only has one output, does this make the Gigablue's second tuner redundant.

I was hoping someone would come back with a positive on Gigablue UHD UE 4K. When I first started looking at the prospect of Satellite TV I was looking at a Freesat box but they get such terrible reviews I wrote off that idea and I'm glad I did. It seems there might be one two issues with regular type receivers but they also appear to be more controllable.
I notice the Unicable LNB only has one output, does this make the Gigablue's second tuner redundant.
The single feed to tuner b is then bridged internally via the tuner setup menu.

You will then have 2 Hardware tuners and 6 virtual tuners with a Unicable LNB and will be able to record channels into the double figures with ease and no restrictions.

Great, thank you all so much for your contributions, it looks like FBC here I come.

the idea of the 2 physical tuners is that you can have 2 different satellite dishes aided at different satellites, you can then split the 6 virtual tuners between the 2 satellites any way you wish.

If you are just using one satellite and have unicable, you will only need the one feed into the receiver to get 8 tuners

That's handy to know jonMM. I shall carry do a bit more learning about these devices before I get too carried away but I'm glad you've mentioned that because even though I shall stick with the Astra 28.2 I have noticed there's another satellite at around 19e. Also during the course of trying to straighten my learning curve I noticed there are LNB mounts that configure two LNB towards different satellites. Once I've purchased a receiver and become reasonably confident with it's setup I may well start having a play with alternative options. As, I think, I've already mention I've spent years building and repairing computers as a hobby and install various alternatives of Android software on phones so I shall look forward to this new venture and finding my around the world of Satellite receiver. What I've managed to pick up so far has been done with the help of members of this forum without whose help I would be struggling a bit.

This forum is fantastic.

That being said there are various flavours of Enigma2 firmware. I use OpenVix as its sponsored by the company that I tend to buy my hardware from, but also because i find it has everything built in to get you up and running in minutes.

Each of the enigma2 flavours will have there own forums and maybe able to give better support especially if you encounter a bug.

This forum is amazing and you will get info that that the more official forums are not allowed to give.

So I tend to use a few, same as others here that I recognize from those other forums

Back