Move to a new house where satellite signal is present but couldn’t get it through the wall plate.

Polaris1980

New Member +
Reaction score
Hi all. I recently moved into a new home and bought a Panasonic TX-65MX650B tv, which has both LNB and aerial input.

First, I tried using a coax cable to plug into the aerial wall plate and tried scanning for channels using the antenna tuner. But it failed. As I couldn’t find any antenna outside my house, I assume that wall plate may not have any signal at all.

On the other hand, there is a satellite disk outside and the cable is running into my house, I tried plugging in the F type connector cable into the LNB port of my TV, it scanned channels successfully. However the cable is located at the opposite side of the current location of my TV. Connecting to this cable directly is not OK.

And then I find that there is another aerial wall plate located just next to the said cable. So I am thinking of using a f type to aerial adapter to plug the satellite cable into the wall plate. And I assume that the two wall plates should have been connected and in that case I could get the satellite signal through the wall plate in the opposite wall.

But I failed again.

So I would like to ask if there is any mistakes in the above assumptions or have I missed out anything?

I am new in UK and it caused me quite a few troubles in figuring out all the settings in this new home. Hope someone could help. Thanks.

The aerial may be in loft. Find out what distribution system is installed. Proof out the cables. Might even just that somebody has switched off the power supply to the switch.

The aerial may be in loft. Find out what distribution system is installed. Proof out the cables. Might even just that somebody has switched off the power supply to the switch.
Thanks Abu. Do you mean there should be a power supply for the aerial?
Anyway, you are probably right because I am yet to explore the loft.
I may also try to use a multimeter to find out if the two aerial wall plates are really connected to each others.

The usual setup where you have lots of outlets to different rooms is as follows:
  • There will be a multi-switch in the central location.
  • The multi-switch needs to be powered on.
  • An aerial is fed to the multi-switch
  • A quattro LNB is fed to multi-switch. Some switches will take universal or wideband LNBs too
  • Wires send a combined (Terrestrial and satellite) signals to all the rooms.
  • The faceplates separate the signal.
Follow the wires from dish, they will reveal what you have. Far better than opening faceplates because what is at central location is what is most important. Or ask your neighbours. Upload pictures of equipment if you find it. A closeup picture of lnb, especially where the wires connect to it will be handy.

Power supply will be to switch, not aerial.

The usual setup where you have lots of outlets to different rooms is as follows:
  • There will be a multi-switch in the central location.
  • The multi-switch needs to be powered on.
  • An aerial is fed to the multi-switch
  • A quattro LNB is fed to multi-switch. Some switches will take universal or wideband LNBs too
  • Wires send a combined (Terrestrial and satellite) signals to all the rooms.
  • The faceplates separate the signal.
Follow the wires from dish, they will reveal what you have. Far better than opening faceplates because what is at central location is what is most important. Or ask your neighbours. Upload pictures of equipment if you find it. A closeup picture of lnb, especially where the wires connect to it will be handy.

Power supply will be to switch, not aerial.
Thanks mate. It seems the secret will probably be hidden in the loft.

The wire from the satellite dish just go into the house from outside and hang in there without any wall plate. So it is not connected to any switch. But the cables before the two aerial wall sockets may be connected to a switch and not connected to each other directly.

When we moved into our present house I discovered the aerial amp/switch buried under the loft insulation.

If the wires from the satellite come direct into the house but are not working when you connect them to the satellite tuner of your TV, it could be the case that you have a Wideband LNB for SkyQ. Can you post a close-up picture of LNB please?

If the wires from the satellite come direct into the house but are not working when you connect them to the satellite tuner of your TV, it could be the case that you have a Wideband LNB for SkyQ. Can you post a close-up picture of LNB please?
When I plugged the wire directly into the LNB port of my tv, it works perfectly fine.
Just when I plugged the wire into the wall socket and connected to the tv through another wall socket, it failed.

Back