chookey's Motorised Install

He denies it wasn't plumb. He must have checked just the one side of the mast.
"If your receiver had been a Technomate there would have been no problems. Your receiver is hookey".
"I've got a customer base going back over 30 years who would testify to my proficiency with motorised installs". His website say's 20 years.

I was shaking with anger after the call and fortunately he isn't local so wasn't paid a visit. He's not interested in any form of refund as he offered twice to come back and put it right. How would he do that?? The box is hookey remember and isn't communicating properly with the motor. I have absolutely zero confidence in his ability anyway. What would he do differently?? He refuses to accept that he never had it properly aligned in the 1st instance.

When I questioned him as to how my signal quality from a small Sky dish was 77% yet only 59-60% with the large dish he said it's because the wall is in the way. When I asked him why it's still only 59-60% on 19.2 and 13°E which is well away from the wall he had no answer.

I'll prepare a stinging review with pictures in the next couple of days, complete with pictures and post it in a number of places. I will be sure to portray myself as an elderly, disabled and vulnerable person who knows nothing. Bloody hell, almost brought a tear to my eye already. 😂

Any news?
I went up the ladder today and reinstalled the brackets after fashioning some wood blocks so the dish can turn a little more. I inserted some fairly long rawlbolts as well and it's really sturdy but I'm not really happy with it. The person I used to be would have planned every last detail out before buying let alone starting the job out.
Considering the satellites I want to get I think I would be far better installing it over my workshop.
I will be able to get clear view of the satellites plus access to the dish would be far easier for fine tuning. I'm really undecided tbh. I don't really require an install that will last for years and years.

IMG_20230831_194501.jpg

I went up the ladder today and reinstalled the brackets after fashioning some wood blocks so the dish can turn a little more. I inserted some fairly long rawlbolts as well and it's really sturdy but I'm not really happy with it. The person I used to be would have planned every last detail out before buying let alone starting the job out.
Considering the satellites I want to get I think I would be far better installing it over my workshop.
I will be able to get clear view of the satellites plus access to the dish would be far easier for fine tuning. I'm really undecided tbh. I don't really require an install that will last for years and years.

View attachment 159630
Looks tidy @chookey 👍

View attachment 159630
You are doing spot on @chookey, to do what you are doing after what you have been through is admirable and I'm not being patronising 👍

View attachment 159630
Willing to bet you pole is 100% plumb now.

Smart job your doing mate, keep at it a reap the rewards. 👍

Last edited:
It really brings meaning to the saying “ if you want something doing right, do it yourself”.
You need to send the pics of your work to them cowboys that need naming and shaming.

I always thought the K bracket was just to support the downward weight.
Neither offer much support from twisting in strong winds.

Any update?
I had started to change it all a few weeks ago. I got a longer scaffold pole from a mate in order to get the dish to clear the ridge and get a better "view" of the satellites. I took the opportunity to change the K&T brackets to T&K brackets 😂
Unfortunately this coincided with a serious setback to my illness. I found it very difficult to get back on it.

I have a small bit of levelling left to do. I was a bit concerned with my ladder just resting against the pole. I secured my old leather work belt to the end of the ladder so it grips the pole but I still didn't feel secure. Yesterday I got a scaffold swivel coupler from a kind soul on my local Facebook page. I will be able to couple a small offcut to the pole to give my ladder a solid crossbar to lean on.

After yet more doubling of my medication I'm starting to perk up a little and I'm hoping to get back out on it. This picture is a few weeks old and I've actually dropped the pole some more to leave just enough clearance for the dish.

IMG_20231014_120311.jpg

I admire your courage @chookey .
But make sure your feeling better before carrying out any tasks at height.

Did you ever get a refund from the incompetent installers?

All i can say.. with your illness.. you have done a far better job. So shame on the tossers that have left you to do it yourself.

That is 1 long pole mate...is the dish on top? 😂

I admire your courage @chookey .
But make sure your feeling better before carrying out any tasks at height.

Did you ever get a refund from the incompetent installers?

All i can say.. with your illness.. you have done a far better job. So shame on the tossers that have left you to do it yourself.

That is 1 long pole mate...is the dish on top? 😂
One of them gave me a month's trial of iptv but mistakenly gave me a year so that's still going strong apart from just before the main bout last night. She also entered the wrong name by one letter so probably has been unable to find me on her panel to rectify her mistake. That maybe goes a short way to helping my loss.

I haven't re-installed the dish yet as the ladder just on the pole felt too dodgy for me. I was feeling up to making it safer this morning but a short shopping expedition put paid to that. Hopefully tomorrow I will attach a short piece of scaffold to make it safer for my ladder. I'm also contemplating putting another T bracket between the T&K's.

IMG_20231029_154333.jpg

I haven't re-installed the dish yet as the ladder just on the pole felt too dodgy for me. I was feeling up to making it safer this morning but a short shopping expedition put paid to that. Hopefully tomorrow I will attach a short piece of scaffold to make it safer for my ladder. I'm also contemplating putting another T bracket between the T&K's.

View attachment 160612
I'd definitely put another bracket on in the middle maybe a 'K', if it was me....
What size bolts are you using?
Looks quite high the pole, should get most of the sats there...

Back