Is a motorised dish worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a fixed dish for a couple of years. I've never need to move it, and I get all the channels I want, so I'm not convinced the extra money is worth it.

I got my dish and motor off that auction site
Was a great bargain and has worked flawlessly

Sent from my F9S using Tapatalk HD

just found this on the bay:motorised satellite dish | eBay

is it worth looking at, or is new equipment always better ?

The dish face looks a bit scuffed & while that on it's own wouldn't be a problem, what other damage it may have suffered would, but if that's OK & it's only cosmetic, it's probably worth a bid or 2, in the right location a good 90 with a black ultra will get some of the best weak stuff if installed well.

The dish face looks a bit scuffed & while that on it's own wouldn't be a problem, what other damage it may have suffered would, but if that's OK & it's only cosmetic, it's probably worth a bid or 2, in the right location a good 90 with a black ultra will get some of the best weak stuff if installed well.

Yup, its the "other damage" that im thinking of, me being mr paranoid lol, why is he selling ? is the motor shagged ? is the dish bent ? etc....

been looking around for those dishes, not 100% coz I havent asked him, but it might be a fiberglass dish, don't know if that's a bad thing or not, I suppose if I got it for 20-30 quid lol it wouldn't be a bad thing.

25 pages in and still not installed that must be a record LOL. you might as well wait now till the new season starts which should bring us nicely to 50 pages and a will it / wont it have been installed thread.

Dont buy secondhand think about it in a word Guarantee you have none on any of the items, At least new you have 12 months on all the products which if you have to call the installer back he may charge a nominal fee but to replace the item will cost you nothing within the 12 months, Buy used and not only have you got a call out fee but also the cost of replacing the faulty item.

The box and cabling is installed :)

Had 4 site surveys done, only one of them I am happy with, a couple of them just turned up and said "about £180" didn't ask what I wanted, didn't ask or give advice on equipment or offer advice on what could cause interference or obstruction, one told me there was only 4-5 sats worth looking at, then asked me if I wanted a sealion :D

Reading a load of stuff, googling the crap out of "motorized" LOL

I had made up my mind on the equipment I was going for, only to be told that the motor was "iffy" where others say its very good, I figured that if I could source most of the gear needed myself, I could lower the price of the actual install and then I know I have the best stuff for it, rather than relying on the installer saying he is using "good stuff"

Trying to find some decent T&K's but most of the ones I keep finding look like cheap tat, even from "proper sat shops" 2-3 mm of steel to me doesn't seem strong enough.

visiosat are excellent dishes and if you can get the dish motor and lnb for £20 quid or so its definately worth a gamble. if you want a brand new visiosat dish theres a well known viewing card supplier that sells them. just because someone is selling something doesnt mean theres anything wrong with it but as stated if it fails after a few months you have no comeback,regards mdt

Why not just get a supply and fit price from an installer. Installers get components at wholesale rates and add a margin to the part prices then add install margin making the job worthwhile. If you source all the parts and just pay to install, the install only cost will be higher as the job still has to be worthwhile for the instsaller. I charge £250 for a motorised install which includes brackets, pole, tm2600 motor, inverto black ultra, either 1m orbital or 1.1m triax dish and webro wf100 cabling. I do not charge for callouts in first year. if a part fails in warranty period there is no charge not even a callouts. There are decent honest Installers out there, not many but we do exist!

Can't believe how long this post has run. lol.

Last edited:
if i may chip in,, 10 years back , i phoned a local sat firm...
they fitted my 1m motor dish,, put in a techo sat receiver.. tuned the sat birds up and stuck in a v box to drive the dish,,
since then its being perfect , apart from 1 lnb/arm and cost was reasonable at the time...

Why not just get a supply and fit price from an installer. Installers get components at wholesale rates and add a margin to the part prices then add install margin making the job worthwhile. If you source all the parts and just pay to install, the install only cost will be higher as the job still has to be worthwhile for the instsaller. I charge £250 for a motorised install which includes brackets, pole, tm2600 motor, inverto black ultra, either 1m orbital or 1.1m triax dish and webro wf100 cabling. I do not charge for callouts in first year. if a part fails in warranty period there is no charge not even a callouts. There are decent honest Installers out there, not many but we do exist!

Can't believe how long this post has run. lol.

Your probably the only one that does that and how your still in business is anyone's guess, Most offer a 30 day period with no charge.

Look at it this way if you buy a TV from a shop and pick it up and install yourself if it goes wrong you have to pack it up and take it back at your own cost, even most online retailers do the same and by this i mean the smaller ones if your product fails you return by postage at your own cost most have this written in the T&C's in fact 3 or 4 of the more popular satellite receiver suppliers who i wont mention have this policy.

Good for you if you can afford to make a round trip to a job for free but in an area of around 30 square miles and there's 150 installers that sort of service makes it very hard work, I know Sparkies, Plumbers etc... that cannot offer a no callout fee even under warranty.

Good luck to you man

I wish there was 150 installers up here lol, according to the CAI website theres only 11 within 50 miles of my house. :(

Check the RDI website as well just in case getmedigital.com

Thank you for that link digi, it shows 11 too lol, got a few new ones now :)

dont like the idea of some of these guys being mobile phone only, a well put together website is also a good sign of a decent company IMO.

Lol, tried checkatrade and found none.

Last edited:
Thank you for that link digi, it shows 11 too lol, got a few new ones now :)

dont like the idea of some of these guys being mobile phone only, a well put together website is also a good sign of a decent company IMO.

Just to put your mind at rest i am an RDI member which as part of registration we have to be CRB checked every 2 years and hold Public Liability insurance to a minimum of 2 million and this has to be kept up to date or you have your membership revoked so at least you know you wont be letting in some masked killer in your home by having someone that is RDI registered, Most also have to have Cit & Guilds in Electronic servicing along with there NVQ level2 this only applies to the Aerial side of installation though and not the Satellite side although i had mine taken doing both.

I also know that of the Last couple of years the CAI have also requested that members have a similar setup they never use to but have followed suit to what the RDI do, so whichever person you get from either you should be OK.

I must stress though before anyone else says this a Qualification and CRB check does not amount to years of experience and knowing what they are doing but hopefully you might get someone with both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back