Is a motorised dish worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

hls1973

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting a motorised dish so I can watch the football on a saturday, but my mate says he knows someone who had one and said that it was nothing but trouble. I was just wanting some advice from people who own one or have tried them in the past.

Motorised v Fixed = no contest the Motorised system if far more flexible also gives you 3x the amount of tv channels that a single fixed dish 3 Lnb set up can I have been using motorised systems for years.

Motorised systems using DiSEqC 1.2 & USALS are very reliable with most satellite receivers some Linux receivers can be a bit touchy with DiSEqC motors.

depends what you want from a satellite system but for me its motorised all day long... gives you ultimate flexability especially if you are relying on fta/feeds/softcams and biss keys. ive fit a few fixed dishes for people and when something has gone down,left ect had to go back. with motorised its just change bird with the remote,regards mdt

Hi hls1973,

I've had a motorised dish for nearly 20 years now... and as Merliin & mdt quite rightly say... there's no contest...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

I've been thinking of getting a motorised dish so I can watch the football on a saturday, but my mate says he knows someone who had one and said that it was nothing but trouble. I was just wanting some advice from people who own one or have tried them in the past.

Sounds like he's had a crap install. There's a world of difference between a quality install throughout and a pile of cheap crap, badly fitted with a duff survey, but there is a lot like that, worked on 2 in the last few days with all the usual faults.

The answer is to make sure you get decent gear properly installed and you'll love it.

I'm new to all this but if you obtain a motorised dish and are just on free to air channels, what's the benefits in terms of channels you receive? Or is it only worth it if you are using cccam etc?

I'm new to all this but if you obtain a motorised dish and are just on free to air channels, what's the benefits in terms of channels you receive? Or is it only worth it if you are using cccam etc?

If you get a decent 1m setup then you can use it free to air, it depends what you or your family want, you can get a lot of free English channels now including new box office films, formula one, some football & sports channels & some adult, lots of music channels, some documentaries. Some use keys to add a few more from the ones that still use the older encryption systems but if you want a lot of live premier league matches then you need to have an encryption service or two to chase the live matches round the arc.

A genuine card shouldn't really ever glitch but using cs can, usually if there's too many on and usually when a decent match is on as more are on then.

I've had the motorised system for 20 trouble free years but a couple of months ago the trusty T/M packed up and no one makes a 36v reciever any more but I got around it with an ***** gbox and it works well.

Definitely go for a well set up motorised dish. I have been using one for about 20 years and have never experienced any problems, My latest system only has an 80cm dish with a Technomate motor but I am able to receive a great selection of sats from 45E to 45W on a south facing wall. Using usals select any channel you want to view using your remote and the receiver will move the dish to the correct satellite and channel seamlessly.

I've had a dish with 4 fixed LNB's for years.
After some experimenting with a seperate dish I found that other satellite positions are really interesting too. But as there are only few FTA programs on them, I want a motorized dish for them. I think it is worth it.

A33

Last edited:
Hi his1973, I would definitely say Yes to motorised. It provides
a much greater range of channels, but with an equal number of
of languages to cope with. Still worth it though. Kel.

notyou;225013no one makes a 36v reciever any more [/QUOTE said:
there are still a few topfield recievers around that have a 36v positioner but these are not patchable and dont have lan so are only good for fta or using a cam with official card or dodgy cam/bdc card or whatever. regards mdt

I've had the motorised system for 20 trouble free years but a couple of months ago the trusty T/M packed up and no one makes a 36v reciever any more but I got around it with an ***** gbox and it works well.

Those GBoxes with the heavy linear psu's might be one of the best VBoxes around atm, Superjack & Moteck switch mode psu VBoxes seem underpowered unless you just use them on small dishes.

[another 20+ year motorised here too].

Thanks everyone, definately sounds like its worth investing in, any advice on which dish would be best, I've got a vu+ duo and live in northeast England.

Motorised for me and a twin tuner box that's also plugged into a fixed one that was kindly installed for me and locked to 28.2e :)

Thanks everyone, definately sounds like its worth investing in, any advice on which dish would be best, I've got a vu+ duo and live in northeast England.

In the NE a Triax 1.1if you can or even a touch bigger but you'll still get a lot on a 90 or 1m

i used to have a motorised dish a few years ago until strong winds blew it down after about 2 years of use :(

Biggest problem i had when it was up and running was, what to watch as there was so much choice from 30w to 28e!

I'll hopefully go motorised again in the future but for the time being i'm comfortable with 28 and 13e on two separate sky mini dishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back