chookey's Motorised Install

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been using Freesat from my Sky dish and get my premium channels through subs to Now, BT Sport and eyeptv. Weather has been a problem with my signal for quite a while and yesterday's thunderstorm seems to have killed it off. Have had to run a temporary extension from front room antenna cable to tv in middle room (main).
Been pondering getting a motorised setup installed but that has suddenly become a bit more urgent. I need to get up to speed on this subject fairly quickly. Could someone point me in the right direction for resources that will talk me through everything that is required??

I'm not really looking to install the dish myself.

In 2 minds whether or not to do it myself. Am looking at fiiting it on top of my workshop roof instead of the house. Would be on an apex roof but would have easy access to it.
I've downloaded your guide and will take a look shortly. Just came in from my gardening project and I ache all over as usual.
I would try your self, you are savvy enough to do it. Digidude wrote a guide on how to on here somewhere

Hered digidude tutorial
How to: Install a motorised satellite dish

Another discussion here
Motorised Satellite Dish Install

I would try your self, you are savvy enough to do it. Digidude wrote a guide on how to on here somewhere

Hered digidude tutorial
How to: Install a motorised satellite dish

Another discussion here
Motorised Satellite Dish Install
I can't see any of the images on DD's tutorial.
I need to sit down and have a good study of what's needed. In all honesty if I could find a good installer I'd rather slip some notes in his hand and get the job done in half the time. I've bit off a bit more than I can chew with my gardening project and it's taking all my attention but I want this sat system up and running yesterday.
I'm considering ordering my box now to try and force my hand a bit 😂

Lob this in google

Technomate 97cm Motorised Solid Satellite Dish Pack

£113 all you need.
I'll do some measuring up tomorrow before ordering. The solid £113 kit is out of stock but for an extra £13 I can get the mesh one. I need to measure up the RG6 run and would probably upgrade to at least a twin lnb.

Ground mount it and make the pride of place in your new garden feature :cool:
Already crossed my mind too. The space I'm opening up at the bottom of the garden is a little over 10 sq mtrs. I need to have a look anyway to see if the dish would get a clear view where I want to put it.

This picture shows my existing sky dish. Hopefully the dish doesn't need to be installed on the front of my property.

IMG_20230618_153749.jpg

Looks like you could at least around to 28e if you mounted it further down he garden you might get slightly more. Have a play with the dish pointer website.

Take a look on gumtree for some motorised set ups going cheap.
My Sky dish is transmitting signals again. When my receiver arrives I'll hook it up to that feed for the time being. That will allow me time to finish this nightmare from hell gardening job and think my satellite options through. I've always got my temporary antenna feed to fall back on if needed.
Because of various obstacles I've decided the best place for the motorised setup will be on the workshop.

My Sky dish is transmitting signals again. When my receiver arrives I'll hook it up to that feed for the time being. That will allow me time to finish this nightmare from hell gardening job and think my satellite options through. I've always got my temporary antenna feed to fall back on if needed.
Because of various obstacles I've decided the best place for the motorised setup will be on the workshop.
How far back from the house is the workshop and how high will the dish be on the workshop. You really need to take the advice of this thread and use dishpointer on your phone.

Maybe water ingress in cable?

How far back from the house is the workshop and how high will the dish be on the workshop. You really need to take the advice of this thread and use dishpointer on your phone.
I did take the advice given, always do. That's why I ask for it 😂
The motorised setup section of it was all green lined.

My workshop can be seen in the photo and the dish would be approximately 13' from the back of the house and 8'-9' high. I'm never going to get a plethora of channels living where I am but I know I can get the ones that matter to me.
I've never had any of the other satellites anyway so nothing lost.

Back