Is a motorised dish worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only roughly quote from the prices i have seen on the website and with the journey dont expect much change between £500-£600

Well, I wouldnt go that extreme lol, I am supplying all the kit and cables already installed, minus T&K's, he advertises "install only" of 1m dishes from £160, just have to factor in the mileage, like I said, if I think he's too expensive, then I wont use him.

im not saying anything as regards pedro... installation god. your install isnt anything major from what i can see. scaff pole, 2 k,s and a t provided by the installer about £180 to £200. i think you a looking to much into it now your not having jodrel bank fitted on your house its a south facing above the gutter install. a couple of hours to put it up and 1 hour to set it up and show you how it all works,regards mdt

I hear you m8, I just want it done properly first time, nothing worse than having wifey chewing off your ears for not getting it done right if anything should happen. :)

Well, I wouldnt go that extreme lol, I am supplying all the kit and cables already installed, minus T&K's, he advertises "install only" of 1m dishes from £160, just have to factor in the mileage, like I said, if I think he's too expensive, then I wont use him.

I hear you m8, I just want it done properly first time, nothing worse than having wifey chewing off your ears for not getting it done right if anything should happen. :)

As you say if its too dear well Install From £160 then over the gutter mounting From £40-£80 then Brackets so called welded overkill £56 and then a Pole £???

the operative word here is 'From' looking at that so far for parts and a From labour price is touching £350 then you have a 350 mile fuel bill, I think you may find someone local cheaper or do it yourself

As you say if its too dear well Install From £160 then over the gutter mounting From £40-£80 then Brackets so called welded overkill £56 and then a Pole £???

the operative word here is 'From' looking at that so far for parts and a From labour price is touching £350 then you have a 350 mile fuel bill, I think you may find someone local cheaper or do it yourself

TBH he is pretty slow when it comes to returning messages lol, I know he is probably busy, but he is online most nights, I first asked him for a quote around 5 days ago, I dunno if he is avoiding the job or giving the price lol, need to get it done soon tho, so I wont be waiting for him for much longer

Digi i thought that m8 also... i remember paying abt £300.. that was ages ago...
but hey.. i have enjoyed every moment.. for me was worth every penny.....
the entertainment i have is fantastic....
yes i may upset some now... but was watching bull fighting last night in HD..

I sense you dislike Pedro digi, the £160 INCLUDES brackets and pole and coax and fittings, so that is a standard price IMO.
TBH I like those welded brackets, T&K brackets are not designed for satellites in any case, they do not provide lateral movement protection, but they are used coz they are all that we can use, but those welded brackets do give extra protection from lateral movement.

A pole is only a scaff pole, unless your using something like aircraft aluminium, £10 for a 10ft galvanized scaff pole is nothing really, I have already installed the cabling, so that can come off the bill too :)

I sense you dislike Pedro digi, the £160 INCLUDES brackets and pole and coax and fittings, so that is a standard price IMO.
TBH I like those welded brackets, T&K brackets are not designed for satellites in any case, they do not provide lateral movement protection, but they are used coz they are all that we can use, but those welded brackets do give extra protection from lateral movement.

A pole is only a scaff pole, unless your using something like aircraft aluminium, £10 for a 10ft galvanized scaff pole is nothing really, I have already installed the cabling, so that can come off the bill too :)

Nothing to dislike about anybody its your choice and the prices i quoted came from his website so i can only quote the From £160 install only which says to me that is Labour only cost, as for the Over welded T&K's i have been to service some jobs that have been up for over 20 years on standard T&K's without any problems.

As for the Lateral movement you have to have a little or else your hanging a 1m wind sail above your gutter that could potentially rip the bricks from the wall if your Mortar is Crap.

At the end of the day you get who you want in as long as your happy but surely for convenience a local installer would be better in case of any teething troubles a few days later. Personally i cant see why you have not done the install yourself as most competent DIY'ers would have done as you say the cable is done and the Tutorials on the site are straight forward and if you needed help the forum is always here.

P.S for Good solid Satellite brackets have a look at Satellite superstore Satellite Superstore UK. Ground Stands, Wall Mounts, heavy duty satellite dish wall mounts. High quality low prices

Nothing to dislike about anybody its your choice and the prices i quoted came from his website so i can only quote the From £160 install only which says to me that is Labour only cost, as for the Over welded T&K's i have been to service some jobs that have been up for over 20 years on standard T&K's without any problems.

As for the Lateral movement you have to have a little or else your hanging a 1m wind sail above your gutter that could potentially rip the bricks from the wall if your Mortar is Crap.

At the end of the day you get who you want in as long as your happy but surely for convenience a local installer would be better in case of any teething troubles a few days later. Personally i cant see why you have not done the install yourself as most competent DIY'ers would have done as you say the cable is done and the Tutorials on the site are straight forward and if you needed help the forum is always here.

P.S for Good solid Satellite brackets have a look at Satellite superstore Satellite Superstore UK. Ground Stands, Wall Mounts, heavy duty satellite dish wall mounts. High quality low prices

TBH digi, I think it would be pretty easy to do myself, Ive been rewiring houses and doing building work for over 20 years now, but as I stated in an earlier post, the accident I had with the circular saw basically reduced me to doing stuff one handed, thats the reason im a retired electrician :)

I didnt mean to accuse you of anything digi, your last two posts just sort of came over as being a bit, offish toward Pedro, no offence meant.

and yes, a local installer would be better if I did have any problems, it would be a long way for pedro to travel for a call out lol.

I just see him recommended by a LOT of people who have had good installs by him and have little or no problems with their install.

and thanks for the link, those brackets look a lot better IMO than T&K's.

hiya canal torres HD 19.2

canal torres 19.2
frq 10.817v
2/3 HD

Last edited:
"In the old days" talking about motorised dish was something like this.:Biggrin2:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some us us still do - getting harder to get the bigger gear though, go over a certain size and you are straight into broadcast stuff & prices now as the mid sized dish market in the US has moved more to small dishes so suppliers have had to change.

Nice motor that (big HH really) & not a 36v actuator in sight, doesn't look like it has a problem getting a big arc with that 3m PF on it.

in the old days i had to phone a guy in essex for the then film net keys..
it was a nightmare, one day he had a cold and couldnt understand a single word on the recorded message,,
coagh... coagh,,,

ITS DONE !!!! yay

now, just need to stop my TM twin crashing on me every f*&* time I select satfinder.

Should have got him to fix the gutter while he was there :D

That big dish looks to be pointed firmly at Redlight 3D-HD :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back