dreambox help

Hi abp1873

I hope you sort it out as I am in exactly the same boat , I bought a DM800hd off bobalot and I was ready to chuck it in the bin until someone said it might be salvageable by begging for help on this site. However after reading a tonne of stuff on here, my brain went into meltdown ,( felt like Johnny Mnemonic!)..and I semi gave up..I keep looking every so often hoping i wasn't the only one!
I have another problem though to battle against when I have downloaded all those required flash files etc..I use a mac and not a pc...so I m pretty confused my self..good luck mate!!

High guys I'm new to all this but back in June / July I bought a dreambox hd from topboxes.biz with a years subs, worked for a while then it went belly up I contacted the guy ( Bob Bobalot ) who consistently said be patient etc etc but I'm now in October with a £390 box only fit for free view and now no answer from bob @ topboxes.
Sadly, it looks like you've been stiffed. The website has gone and presumably the guy has now set up elsewhere and is scamming more people with a different name/company.
Although a quick whois topboxes.biz does give a name (bob bobalot), address (presumably false) and phone number for the site ...

If you paid by credit card, it's worth getting in touch with their internet fraud department, it's unlikely you were this guy's only victim and even if they won't refund what's been taken from you, it might just be possible to cause the guy some grief.
If you used paypal, the same may apply. It's a long shot but it may give you some satisfaction.

Are you familiar with this thread (Locked DM800) from one of his other victims?

Last edited by a moderator:
Highly dubious to contact your credit card company and internet fraud department...saying you purchased a reciver preconfigured for illegally viewing premium content which then stopped working...

If you paid by credit card, it's worth getting in touch with their internet fraud department, it's unlikely you were this guy's only victim and even if they won't refund what's been taken from you, it might just be possible to cause the guy some grief.
If you used paypal, the same may apply. It's a long shot but it may give you some satisfaction.

Are you familiar with this thread (Locked DM800) from one of his other victims?

Could be an idea..never thought of that however as gsmtech pointed out i might be chancing having knock on my own door ...think Ill cut my losses and see if I can sort out something from reading a few more posts on here

Until a few months ago didn't even realise anything like Dreambox and all the other "sort-of-free"related stuff existed ...

Cheers

I think Bob's victims need to understand that his boxes are password locked. Putting a new c-line onto it will open up channels. This is not possible without knowing the password. The only way to open it up to allow it to be setup is re-flashing it and optionally putting a password you know. Think of it as having a computer which you cannot log onto, (leaving aside hacking into it).

It's well and good saying that I'll pay someone to flash it, what happens when you next want to flash it.

It's a learning curve that is not very hard. This site is full of people who will help others learn. In my opinion, if anyone insists on paying, he should pay for the education rather than configuring. At the end of the course, you should be able to flash your own image and ftp before you hand over the money.

You really need to flash the box. If you get stuck, others will help.

Had a similar problem with box from Topboxes. Needed to get access to insert new c/line. Found this tut which allowed me access and got box up and running again:-

You can reset your dreambox password using dreambox remote:

1.install tuxbox commander using addons button
2. Start tuxboxcomander
3.go to in /var/etc/ and open the file passwd
4.press 4 on remote to go into edit mode.
The first line is root:*****:0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh
where the ****** delete it (by using remote arrows to move cursor right and then pressing volume minus)
delete *** until upto :0:0:root

and press ok and exit -> save

the first line should look like this after the edit

root::0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh

then login with user root and password leave empty

you could telnet and change the empty password with your own so no-one can easily hack into your dm box.

Great !! and this worked?

So I don't need to have a pc as I only use a mac??

I ll have a go later and see what happens

Sorry for being a bit dense but there are few terms I am not familiar with though, ...What is a tut? and "you could telnet"- What does this mean?

Thanks

tut is short for tutorial and telnet is a network protocol there is one built in to DCC (dreambox control centre) that you could use.

think once in telnet you type passwd then add your new password twice.

Had a similar problem with box from Topboxes. Needed to get access to insert new c/line. Found this tut which allowed me access and got box up and running again:-

You can reset your dreambox password using dreambox remote:

1.install tuxbox commander using addons button
2. Start tuxboxcomander
3.go to in /var/etc/ and open the file passwd
4.press 4 on remote to go into edit mode.
The first line is root:*****:0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh
where the ****** delete it (by using remote arrows to move cursor right and then pressing volume minus)
delete *** until upto :0:0:root

and press ok and exit -> save

the first line should look like this after the edit

root::0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh

then login with user root and password leave empty

you could telnet and change the empty password with your own so no-one can easily hack into your dm box.

I just tried the above but when I got to the stage 4 where : "The first line is root:*****:0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh"

I had : root::0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh which already looked like the finished line

I found telnet but all i could do was enable to make it go into 'running' mode or disable to 'stop' it. I could not find anything anywhere to do with a password

I am confused

Have you tried to log into it?

Filezilla is available for macs too. FileZilla - Client Download

Well there a good question but i'm afraid I do not have an answer as I am clueless as to where I would go to log in. It must be in some type of settings menu

When I got the Dreambox it didn't come with a manual and as I was totally new to all this and finishing off an extension on my house that has taken 3 years I did not really have time to figure out how everything worked etc ...and after a hard days work...well y'know how it is...but now I've got a bit more time..but don't tell the missus!

So where do I go to log in?? (Daft question number 4)

Thanks

This is how I managed to do it. It did take me a length of time as I'm fairly new to all this.

1. Save your cline in a cfg file

2. Open up windows explorer.

3. In the browser bar type in the ftp followed by box ip (i.e. ftp://192.168.1.2)

4. Then you will be prompted for the name and password (e.g. root and dreambox). If you have actioned the the previous tutorial, as you said you have, all you need to do is type in 'root' for the name and leave 'password' BLANK.

5. Folders will now appear - click on var, then same again on etc.

6. Now copy and paste your cccam.cfg file that you saved complete with cline and overwrite the file thats there.

7. Reboot box - job done.

That's basically it. Best of luck !

This is how I managed to do it. It did take me a length of time as I'm fairly new to all this.

1. Save your cline in a cfg file

2. Open up windows explorer.

3. In the browser bar type in the ftp followed by box ip (i.e. ftp://192.168.1.2)

4. Then you will be prompted for the name and password (e.g. root and dreambox). If you have actioned the the previous tutorial, as you said you have, all you need to do is type in 'root' for the name and leave 'password' BLANK.

5. Folders will now appear - click on var, then same again on etc.

6. Now copy and paste your cccam.cfg file that you saved complete with cline and overwrite the file thats there.

7. Reboot box - job done.

That's basically it. Best of luck !

Thanks for that... but think it is all over my head ...I'll try and sort it out or get someone else to, it's all a bit too much for my brain to take in at the moment ..clines, cfg's cam's crikey!

Thanks folks anyway

what are you trying to do ?
the cline is no good now is it ? Im a little unsure what you are trying to do now to help you ?

what are you trying to do ?
the cline is no good now is it ? Im a little unsure what you are trying to do now to help you ?

Im probably wasting everyone's time but.. I have a Dreambox800HD that was from Topboxes and now it doesn't work ..I just want to see if I can get it to work again...
One thing I want to point out is that up until about 4 months I was just watching Freesat ..that was it..I wasn't even aware of other satellite stuff and digitalworldz come to that!
This is why I am appearing quite slow at the take-up..hacking my daughters wii and ds, psp,three years ago are the only hacking type things i have done ever,
so, all this talk about clines cfg etc etc is totally bewildering...I was hoping for a quick easy fix and it appears to me it isn't that at all. I was hoping to get the
payskysat stuff on the cheap (that will teach me). I can't figure out if everyone on here is doing that or paying or what..so when you say you're unsure...same here mate same here!
I wish I could just sort it out Cheers

we are all willing to help

what I was trying to get at is you no longer need that cline as it is no use now

so you maya s well reflash the box with a new image (DBUK) as it has most stuff installed and this will free you of all passwords :)
then you will need to find a new server :)

It is there a tutorial on digitalworldz for reflashing the box?
by 'reflashing' does that means putting new software on it?
What is DBUK?

Server...dare i ask or not ask?

I did link you to some files in a previous thread I think mate
but I see you have the HD not the SE
:)
the files you need are here DM800HD
images and bootloaders, I would imagine you flash the same way as SE though

here is a tut but remember you flash twice with a clone box :)
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/208583/

Power Off From Rear

press And Hold In Standby Button

Power On (still holding standby button in)

Until You See STOP in front dispaly and release standby

see IP in front display

enter this IP into your web browser scroll to bottom and browse for image that you stored on your mac

flash image

DO NOT REBOOT AFTER FLASH

now open another web page and enter IP again

repeat above and flash the second file

when finished you can now reboot the box

Im sure if the HD is different to SE in flashing in any way someone will put me right

:)
hope that helps a little mate

i never flashed twice with my dm800hd . i downloaded blackhole image .then Power Off From Rear

press And Hold In Standby Button

Power On (still holding standby button in)

Until You See STOP in front dispaly and release standby

see IP in front display

enter this IP into your web browser scroll to bottom and browse for image that you stored on your mac

flash image

when 100% i rebooted box and job was done.

Back