Is a motorised dish worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I consider myself to be pretty handy at DIY, do you think I'd be ok installing one myself or would a professional installer be better?

I consider myself to be pretty handy at DIY, do you think I'd be ok installing one myself or would a professional installer be better?

Depends really, if you know how to get a strong fixing into a wall whilst working at height then you should be fine. Your also going to need to install everything perfectly level and by perfectly level I mean perfect whilst dangling off a ladder at the same time lol.

View attachment 73053

Thats my dish to the left, not much room lol.

lol no tight squeeze indeed :)
Looks like your wall is pretty much south facing, you could squeeze the T and K brackets in between those dishes and just raise your dish above them. The brackets are available in differing lengths which will bring your dish further away from the wall and gutters as required so just make sure it will clear those as it turns.
Will work fine installed on that wall IMO

I think with a bracket below those 2 dishes with the pole in-between it would be possible, but, it would be half on my side and half on my neighbors side, our houses join right in the middle of those dishes, I don't think they are gonna like it too much :(

hmm, maybe drop the sly dish 2-3 foot then put the brackets above it ?

Could even get it on your wall to the left there and just poke the dish up above roof line. If you kept it close to the window you may be able to make dish adjustments through the window lol.

Could even get it on your wall to the left there and just poke the dish up above roof line. If you kept it close to the window you may be able to make dish adjustments through the window lol.

The above would be ok and not intefere with your neighbour. Leave at least 4 brick depth between roofline and top bracket for strength and forget about putting a large dish on a chimney unless the stack is substancial or your likely to bring the chimney down in high winds.

I have a 1m motor dish.. is more than large enough! have had it 17 yrs!!is truly fantastic.

lol no tight squeeze indeed :)
Looks like your wall is pretty much south facing, you could squeeze the T and K brackets in between those dishes and just raise your dish above them. The brackets are available in differing lengths which will bring your dish further away from the wall and gutters as required so just make sure it will clear those as it turns.
Will work fine installed on that wall IMO

remove the zone1 or drop it down/put it on t+k pole for motorised dish... get yourself a t+k arrangment to take the dish above the gutter and give you the full arc without obstructions and then put the zone1 between the t+k with a 2 inch U bolt through the swinging arm,regards mdt

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 59
that is a dam fine idea sir. :)

thank you MDT

ok, just got a msg from my mate, he says his mate no longer fits dishes :(
but, he says if its motorized then its easier as you don't have to align it as its motorized, it will find the sats anyway, is this true, sounds funky to me, I would have thought it would at least need some alignment lol.

Last edited:
He says his mate no longer fits dishes :(
but, he says if its motorized then its easier as you don't have to align it as its motorized, it will find the sats anyway, is this true, sounds funky to me, I would have thought it would at least need some alignment lol.

Stay away from him !

A motorized dish needs more precise alignment to track the full arc, especially with some weak sats.
Not too difficult though, provided you get the basics right, at the outset.

In comparison, a fixed dish is easy.

I wouldn't go lower than those dishes. I suspect there is an obstruction in front, hence why they were put that high.

The width of 18" T&K brackets is about 13", this is narrower than the sky dish. You obvously cannot put them right against the edge as you will crack the bricks.

MDT's suggestion is best for you IMO.

Your m8 is talking shite m8. Fitting a fixed dish is easy, point, peak, skew your done. Motorised you need make sure pole is plumb, find due south, set latitude as precise as your eyesight will allow, and then peak signal using declinatation angle on dish, then start at the beginning until you've tracked the Clark belt. If it was just a case of stick a dish on a motor and it will all sort itself then we like your m8 would all be out of business. Nice idea though, screw dish to motor, screw motor on wall, press go and 10000 channels at the press of a button.

Hope this is not against rules.

Been reading this:

very interesting reading, dont think I will be attempting this myself lol, local company quoted around £85 for dish fitting, hopefully all fittings are included too lol, is that a reasonable price ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Guides above are very comprehensive, a couple of additions, not noticed, but then, only skimmed through.
Apologies, if they are in there, somewhere.

Suggest avoid aluminium masts, look pretty, but not strong enough, depending on dish size, mast length, location etc.
Scaffolding pole is much more rigid, coated inside with waxoyl, if you're concerned about rust.
Then cap the top, leave the bottom open to avoid condensation issues.

When you're happy with the alignment, mark all variable adjustments in some way. If anything goes out of line due to weather,
then it's readily apparent. I drilled small holes, and put brass screws in, but not always possible. Otherwise file, scratch marks etc.

£85 is very reasonable, assuming correct alignment is included ?

I wouldn't go lower than those dishes. I suspect there is an obstruction in front, hence why they were put that high.

The only obstruction would be the houses opposite, but they are slightly lower than mine and some 100 foot away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back