Is a motorised dish worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motorised will give you far more scope than just having a fixed dish. Have a look first where you would fix it and see what satellites you can obtain before making final decision. Mine still working after 20 odd years having only changed lnb to upgrade to a quad lnb

i used to have a motorised dish a few years ago until strong winds blew it down after about 2 years of use :(

Biggest problem i had when it was up and running was, what to watch as there was so much choice from 30w to 28e!

I'll hopefully go motorised again in the future but for the time being i'm comfortable with 28 and 13e on two separate sky mini dishes.

What sort of stuff do you get on 13e?

Im a n00b in the sat box world, still looking at what to get, but all this talk about sly's new encryption might make anything we buy a waste of money, is there enough FTA out there to justify buying a box and motorized dish at this present time ?

Sorry manic, but I thought it would be ignorant of me to start a new thread on something that had already been discussed, hardly a hijack IMO.

Im a n00b in the sat box world, still looking at what to get, but all this talk about sly's new encryption might make anything we buy a waste of money, is there enough FTA out there to justify buying a box and motorized dish at this present time ?

easily & you don't need sky anyway

I've had a 1.2 mtr motorised channel master for about 16 years now with no problems, if you fitting your own the secret is a good solid and perfectly plum mount to fit your motor to. Just installed a technomate motor and icecript 60cm dish/ twin lnb kit for bedroom both readily available from your local maplins good signal on most sats and less than £100 for both - would recomend as a first motorised install

Great once you got one installed.
Lots more channels to pick from, never miss a live event in HD.

if i may just add my bit.. i have had my motor dish 17 years!! and in that time needed 1 lnb arm.. its been fantastic..
just 1 thing also... the dish is driven by my VBOX not THE SATERLLITE RECEIVER..so if u change receivers m there is nothing to do ,, the channelsand positions in the sky are all set.
its so quick and easy to use..( picture below)

Attachments

• $T2eC16h,!)sE9swmcNQ!BP7EbYOF-g~~60_35.jpg
    $T2eC16h,!)sE9swmcNQ!BP7EbYOF-g~~60_35.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 77
Is there a "minimum" size to dish requirements ?

or is it a case of the bigger the more channels you can find lol.

bigger is always better but a quality triax td88 or gibertini 85cm dish will get you thousands of channels from around 25 satellites in most of the uk. if you choose quality components now and have it properly installed it will give you years and years of service. regards mdt

bigger is always better but a quality triax td88 or gibertini 85cm dish will get you thousands of channels from around 25 satellites in most of the uk. if you choose quality components now and have it properly installed it will give you years and years of service. regards mdt

Thank you mdt.

It depends where you are, you need a larger dish the further north you go for the main weak satellites but if you are not bothered about those the you can use a much smaller dish and still get 1000s of channels.

I'm in Newcastle, so I guess that's pretty much north lol, I do have 2 problems tho, 1. the dish will have to be chimney mounted, I don't think there's enough swing room on my back wall. 2. wifey :D

another Q. are LNB's universal ? I have a quad on my sly dish, would like to put that on too as most of the kit's I have found so far are single LNB.

Just get a quad or dual "inverto" lnb, very cheap at around fifteen quid. You get some mounting equipment with the dish but use a T and K bracket with something like a piece of scaffolding pole. You could possibly mount it just under your eaves with a T and K and send the pole up above your guttering, could that give you the swing you need ?
Chimney mounting is a last resort really as you will spend a few hours pissing about with dish alignment on your first install.
Edit : keep the sly feeds and if you have a twin tuner just plug one into one if your boxes tuners and you will have a dedicated feed to 28 e and connect the other tuner to the motor :)

Last edited:
TBH I wont be installing it I dont think, I am an electrician by trade, so I think its gonna be easy :) (Im a bloke lol, I think everything is easy) but I screwed my hand up a few years back, so I think I will get it done properly.
yes, was deffo keeping the slydish feeds for freesat on my TV, or maybe use the slybox for the FTA stuff in the bedroom, decisions, decisions lol, havent actually got a box yet, leaning towards the VU+ solo 2 tho, does this control the sat movement too or is that a separate thing ?
A pole the way you describe I think would work, not sure if the misus would enjoy scaffolding up the back of the house lol, not that she ever bloody looks up mind, but you know what they are like, if it was a bloody washing line it would be fine. :)

I have the vu+ solo 2 and it is easily my best box, extremely fast and yes it controls the dish in fact it is the image that controls that but the box provides the power to the motor. It would not be like having scaffolding lol but the scaffold pole really is extremely sturdy and that is important on windy nights :)
This is kind of what I meant but obviously made to suit your needs.
uqyraher.jpg

TBH that doesnt look too bad, its kinda what I had visualized lol.
The problem I have tho, is the gap between the windows (mine and next doors) is about half of that in the picture, with 2 sly dishes in the middle :(
thats why I thought I might have to go chimney dish :(
shame its pitch black outside lol, I could have posted a pic, hmmmm, camera has flash.....

You just need the dish looking South, if your sky dishes are that side of the house you should be pretty much in the right area. Find true south and then look 90 degrees left 90 degrees right and that's pretty much all the swing you will need from the dish. You can possible keep it more discreet if you don't need to turn above your roof line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back