Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

TM800 HD is it ok?

extraspark

Inactive User
Hi all,

Just wondering whether the mystery and the scare tactics etc surrounding this have been cleared up yet.
No doubt over the next few weeks and months all the little bugs will be fixed I presume.
I was just wondering as looking at getting this box, but at the moment I have been put off. I was looking at the VU+Duo but the price is the issue with that.
So at the moment I am abit unsure.

Thanks for any input and advice
I am looking to get the subscription tring card to work on the box for the football this coming season as this looks like it will have the majority of games broadcast at a reasonable price. I am also looking at cs it with a box that I will get for my parents so they can enjoy the footie too.

If your looking to use any sort of card with this box then it's an issue...the card reader doesnt currently work...so no go as a server...
If you can host the Tring card in a different box however and set up a C line that should work OK...

Not sure about the scare tactics either, a lot of rumour flying around...might even be partially true..

- Personally I would say wait and see how the image develops before you decide to part with any cash...
- If your not bothered about using the feaures that dont work and are prepared to wait till they get sorted (if they get sorted)..then it may not be an issue for you.

Just have a good read up on what currently works and what doesnt work and decide if it meets your requirements...

Thanks for the information.
Great advice. I think I will wait like you mentioned and see how it develops.
I was looking forward to this box, but I realise it is still in its early stages.
Thanks again

If your looking to use any sort of card with this box then it's an issue...the card reader doesnt currently work...so no go as a server...
If you can host the Tring card in a different box however and set up a C line that should work OK...

Not sure about the scare tactics either, a lot of rumour flying around...might even be partially true..

- Personally I would say wait and see how the image develops before you decide to part with any cash...
- If your not bothered about using the feaures that dont work and are prepared to wait till they get sorted (if they get sorted)..then it may not be an issue for you.

Just have a good read up on what currently works and what doesnt work and decide if it meets your requirements...

hi m8

if you are after cardreader ,its not really a issue cause you can attach a Smargo cardreader on it! So dont wait for it but rest of missing functions yuo can wait!but i am sure it will be a great box in near future.It is allready if you want wach tv,and dont bother yourself with other future and even DM still struggling with their new os 1.06!This is all about linux world.Dont expect a perfect linux box cause there is not any!

regards

hi m8

if you are after cardreader ,its not really a issue cause you can attach a Smargo cardreader on it! So dont wait for it but rest of missing functions yuo can wait!but i am sure it will be a great box in near future.It is allready if you want wach tv,and dont bother yourself with other future and even DM still struggling with their new os 1.06!This is all about linux world.Dont expect a perfect linux box cause there is not any!

regards

LOL...this what TM Fanboys generally say...do a good readup across multiple forums etc..weight up both the pros and cons..and then decide...

- You have just spent 250 quid...why should you spend an extra 30 - 40 quid, on a Smargo..because the manufacturer cant get the card reader to work on their device...

- Agreed there is no perfect Linux box...but the majority of the others at least are much more mature and have majority of features working...even cheap Ali chipset devices like the Solomend 800HD which is like 115 quid..

- DM software wise..is miles ahead of any TM linux software...try comparing UR images against DreamElite or Newnigma2....there is no comparison...far more support from official well established teams...not some half hearted attempt to modify a Pli image...

Would you buy a car with a turbo...if the manufaturer said to you...the car works fine but the turbo doesnt work...we might have it working in the near future... ??

- It's a lot safer and more sensible bet to just buy something that works and is proven to meet your requirements..that way your not to risk of ending up dissppointed.

Yeh TM800HD is an intresting prospect.... Still in early stages has the potential to be a good device...nowhere near there at the minute.

Any Linux box is only as good as the software quality and support of recognised quality coders...hardware can be Kray Supercomputer...it's still useless without decent software...

LOL...this what TM Fanboys generally say...do a good readup across multiple forums etc..weight up both the pros and cons..and then decide...

- You have just spent 250 quid...why should you spend an extra 30 - 40 quid, on a Smargo..because the manufacturer cant get the card reader to work on their device...

- Agreed there is no perfect Linux box...but the majority of the others at least are much more mature and have majority of features working...even cheap Ali chipset devices like the Solomend 800HD which is like 115 quid..

- DM software wise..is miles ahead of any TM linux software...try comparing UR images against DreamElite or Newnigma2....there is no comparison...far more support from official well established teams...not some half hearted attempt to modify a Pli image...

Would you buy a car with a turbo...if the manufaturer said to you...the car works fine but the turbo doesnt work...we might have it working in the near future... ??

- It's a lot safer and more sensible bet to just buy something that works and is proven to meet your requirements..that way your not to risk of ending up dissppointed.

Yeh TM800HD is an intresting prospect.... Still in early stages has the potential to be a good device...nowhere near there at the minute.

Any Linux box is only as good as the software quality and support of recognised quality coders...hardware can be Kray Supercomputer...it's still useless without decent software...

Först of all i am not a tm fanboy,but has been arouind for a while ,and i was with start of DB era(probably the first one to test a dream 7000 with a blue display in northern world)Yes dm has great advantage with their sw but still its not stable that i expected after all years .Mine db7000 almost 6 years and updated to the latest sw alltime ,And i need to reboot it time to tome.I dont care of sw quantitiy ,i am after a stabil box .>Since last sw i rebooted only once but db7000 i need to reboot once a week even it runs on Multiboot!

On the other hand we have to give chance to newcommer to this world not just making greedy people richer!How the hell they ask over 1000 euros for a box when most of us dont earn so much for a month?Everything is relative you would say maybe but (i dont have it)but i could buy 2 vuo+duo or 4 dm800 clones or allmost 4 TM for that price!And have picture in 4 different places at same time!can you do that with a dm 8000?

regards

Yup I agree,...DM originals is VERY overpriced....definitely not worh paying what they charge..especially DM8000... I would not buy any DM original...Buy clones is much better option...
Fact remains though software wise they are still the most well supported Linux recievers available...Dream are leaders everyone else is just playing catcthup..

coming back to the question asked about the vu+duo or the tm800hd.

i have tm800 and a good friend has recently purchased the vu+duo. my pal had the benefit of seeing what i had before going and getting the vu. between us we have had this discussion a few times and given between us we have experienced clone boxes dm's and older tm models i hope this helps.

the vu+duo is a quality machine. you will find that the main functions for this box center around the Internet functions and this seems to be where the real difference is between this machine and the tm800. the vu+duo is a better machine for your money compared with a dm no question and you pay the extra money for the functions that are actually working unlike many with the tm800hd.

saying all that the tm800 is just as good with its sat searches, quality of picture and generally tm seems to be more user friendly.

price was an issue for me to but i have no regrets and would have no problem recommending the tm800hd but as a buyer you must remember your buying a machine that is not the finished article. tm as a company may have made a mistake in getting the machine out there due to all the criticism and pressure but they will have no problem helping with any issues and are actively supporting there machine which is evident in there download center (you should call them and speak to them about the machine if you are thinking of getting one before you do).

my pal has encountered a few problems with images on the duo but is very happy with an open source pli image he got from the unofficial vu support site. the tm runs on an open source pli image and i have never encountered any image problems. both machines are good with heat and neither have any such problems.

maybe i should stop before i boar everyone but bottom line is the VU+DUO is currently the daddy of machines out there for its price but you are paying for the fully functional machine and the Internet functions in the main. i would still buy a tm however as the functions are coming on and i cannot fault what i knew i was buying (ie a work in progress). for the money which was an issue for me and it seems my be for you the tm800hd is the one as it is a solid machine and as they fix the functions the machine only gets better. if you like your you tube clips and that kind of stuff and you want your functions now you should find the extra cash and get the vu+duo

and theres the dual tuners in the vu+ duo..

And yes it will be more fare to compare vuo+ against dm8000!Tm 800 is as good as dm 800 when it concern tv watching and daily use and when and if we get final image it would be much better !We will see.

He wasn't the one who compared it first was he mate.
Now be honest, would you of bought one now knowing it's limitations?
If you wanted to buy a wip stb why would you bother? card reader work ok? a pretty basic req for any stb I would of thought.
They released these stb early for one reason.............
World cup nothing else and Digidude will probably back me up on that.
After WC there is nothing to EPL starts to interest most of us.
Now no company in it's right mind releases a stb due to customer/peer power thats rubbish.
They sold this stb early for cash, and remember cash is KING!
Now thet are reaping the benefit of this poor judgement.
Even if it turns out a great stb the damage is already done.
I think they will be looking towards another stb soon and this wil be left in the wake so to speak? Hope i am wrong.

I thought Digidude asked members that didn't own a box not to keep posting negative comments on the box

but we are still reading the same negative comments from the same members

Rat this is an open forum, Digidude is a close friend of mine but he can't tell me what to post.
This is only my opinion on the TM in response to witchys post.
I have kept out of the debate previously to be fair to TM owners.
On a personal level a couldn't give a f... if it succeeds or fails as I have no vested interest in it.

witchy:Clap:

manic01:Clap:

gsmtech:Clap:

installer:Clap:
belmando::Clap:

as rat and digidood said :banana:NO REPEATS:banana:

:banana:REPEAT:banana: :banana:REPEAT :banana: :banana:REPEAT :banana:

this points and posts have been repeated over 100 times same boring conversation on and on and on

aren't tired of repeating same thing:Fish::Fish:

answer below please

1-do you want me to copy all repeat post for same subject to remind you.
2-do you want me to carry on comparing same I did for over 50 times in different posts different forums
3-do you want me to bring back full history of same boring posts that all guys written again and gain and gain
for god sake can you talk about tm800 only and stop comparing
4-is this tm800 section or others brands????
5-is this comparison section to downgrade just tm800 or can compare to other Linux boxes???
6-if you really believe that all mighty dream box vud+ and other Linux boxes are perfect then go and read my posts
I have explained and proof my point ..or you want me to copy past in this conversation ???
7-do all of you want full list all the problems with other Linux boxes in this section or in their Owen section.???
can all of you promises not to compare and repeat same thing in different post and different forums for last few month repeats.:banana::banana:

FFS here we go again! I'm getting really pissed off with these threads turning into a slagging match with the same old crap over and over

Hi all,

I was just wondering as looking at getting this box, but at the moment I have been put off. I was looking at the VU+Duo but the price is the issue with that.
So at the moment I am abit unsure.

Thanks for any input and advice

Urm yes, that's why it costs £150 more than the TM800.

What next, will we compare a Mini to a Rolls Royce, after all they both have wheels.

My post was in regard to the thread starters question, i wasn't puttin down the tm800, i for one would like to see it turn into a great box, as i can get them relatively cheap...read the bit about the price of the vu+ duo being an issue in the original post, i was merely pointing out that it has 2 tuners and hence the price difference...

regarding minis and rolls royce, well they'd have to be discussed in another section of the forum cos as far as i know this is a technomate linux forum is it not??

witchy:Clap:

manic01:Clap:

gsmtech:Clap:

installer:Clap:
belmando::Clap:

as rat and digidood said :banana:NO REPEATS:banana:

:banana:REPEAT:banana: :banana:REPEAT :banana: :banana:REPEAT :banana:

this points and posts have been repeated over 100 times same boring conversation on and on and on

aren't tired of repeating same thing:Fish::Fish:

answer below please

1-do you want me to copy all repeat post for same subject to remind you.
2-do you want me to carry on comparing same I did for over 50 times in different posts different forums
3-do you want me to bring back full history of same boring posts that all guys written again and gain and gain
for god sake can you talk about tm800 only and stop comparing
4-is this tm800 section or others brands????
5-is this comparison section to downgrade just tm800 or can compare to other Linux boxes???
6-if you really believe that all mighty dream box vud+ and other Linux boxes are perfect then go and read my posts
I have explained and proof my point ..or you want me to copy past in this conversation ???
7-do all of you want full list all the problems with other Linux boxes in this section or in their Owen section.???
can all of you promises not to compare and repeat same thing in different post and different forums for last few month repeats.:banana::banana:

Who made you in charge of this forum mate?
Are you Richard because you write like him.
Free forum to voice our opinions.
Run back to TM!

why dont u split the difference and go for the vu+solo, thats my choice, that i am getting, i have been thinking which hd box, and looked deep into this, and thought should i get a dm800hd clone, or should i get a tm800hd, and then i thought, well both keep getting negatives, so i thought the vu+solo, because there isnt much negative posts around for this box, so i have made my choice vu+solo, look into them m8, only a few pound dearer than tm800hd

what i think would stop all the repeats would be if the UR team released some sort of list of things on the image that are 'not ready'

things they are aware of that still need working on

as its a linux image, itll NEVER be 100% no matter what happens, the code its based on is ported from Dbox-dreambox-TM, and original bugs in the source were never really ironed out, just worked around, before it even got to the dreambox stage

so, if UR team released a list

A) it would stop all of the 'this aint working' posts

and

B) anyone who finds anything NOT on the list, can then report it as a bug

Back