How much gas/electricity are you using?

earwig999

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Last night I received another email from Octopus Energy to let me know my payments were increasing again. I got to looking at my bills and charges and saw that my usage had actually dropped (not by much but a bit). - From 2020 I paid £122.80 each month this will now go up after the Energy Bill Support Scheme runs out in April, to £348.75 but my usage is lower.

It works out that my average usage each month is:

Gas - 1,384 kWh
Elec - 557 kWh

Looking at the Energy Price Guarantee it suggests a 'typical' home should be billed no more than £2500 per year. If we divide that by 12 months for ease that's £208.33 - That looks great and I could manage that but, a 'typical' home according to the figures is 12,000 kWh for Gas and 2,900 kWh for electricity per year. I am well over this.

I really don't know what else I could do to make it more affordable. I have sensors on my lights, updated the boiler and even now since last month have been switching electronics off at the wall instead of leaving them on standby.

How much do you use and pay in comparison, is it similar?

We are averaging £6 per day, x7x4x12 works out at 2,016 per year. Just me and her in 3 bed house heating on auto, new boiler fitted in April before that was £10 a day minimum .VM box always in standby other stuff off when not in use, also run 2 fridge freezers and 1 small freezer.

We are averaging £6 per day, x7x4x12 works out at 2,016 per year. Just me and her in 3 bed house heating on auto, new boiler fitted in April before that was £10 a day minimum .VM box always in standby other stuff off when not in use, also run 2 fridge freezers and 1 small freezer.
Three freezer’s, body storage maybe😉

@avid how do you keep your electric so low?
Not sure probably coz am tight. No all my appliances are nearly a rated, all my bulbs are LED. I don’t have an electric shower and have a thermostatic one that runs off my Combi boiler. I never leave lights or appliances on in rooms that are not being used. I don’t have a tumble dryer or a dishwasher, well, unless you include me🤫
I live in a three bedroom semidetached, just me and the Mrs.
Before all the price rises my electric, used to work out at seven quid a week or just under.
I used to laugh when people phoned me up, trying to sell me solar panels.
They used to put the phone down on me when I told them that my electric was seven quid a week.

Last edited:
don't watch tv ,never put the heating on ,very rarely cook anything yet my bills almost double from 12 months ago :mad: most of it is the rip off standing charge:mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-16 032243.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-16 032243.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 16
don't watch tv ,never put the heating on ,very rarely cook anything yet my bills almost double from 12 months ago :mad: most of it is the rip off standing charge:mad::mad::mad:
like i said a complete rip off :mad:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-16 034923.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-16 034923.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2022-11-16 034856.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-16 034856.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 17
Things gone mental.

Just over 2 years ago our monthly electric was about €60-70 now it's €110-130.

On average we use about 250-280 kWh per month. There was another price hike in September which meant that my kWh per unit cost went from 27 cents excluding vat to 39 cents excluding vat. That's more than a 50% increase how can they justify that. Oil/fuel has not gone up that much so I don't understand how they are even allowed get away with this crap. Some things have gone up and I think many companies and industries have jumped on the band wagon and said likes screw people over and hike up our prices even though our overheads are the same as before. If anything electric should be going down with all the renewable energy like wind and hydro investment.

I did a lot of research and managed to find a scheme with a supplier that I have to sign up to for a year where the kWh unit price is 29 cents excluding vat fixed for a year. The standing charges are roughly around the same as before but this is still double what I was paying 2 years ago. If I didn't change supplier and was paying the 39 cent per unit that would mean I would be paying 3 times what I was paying 2 years ago.

Were in a small 3 bed detached and we've done as much as we can without sitting in the dark with candles on. I rarely have the heating on preferring extra clothes over radiators so there's nothing we can do bar pay whatever they charge.

Water will be next then fresh air, you'll be charged by how many breaths you take in a day.
Why are we been screwed for gas ? They blame Ukraine war but we only get 4% of our supply from them

These energy and food prices are crippling me.
So far the only help I've received is:

£650 Cost of Living
£150 Council Tax Rebate
£200 credit on gas bill in instalments
£150 Disability payment
£75 cash voucher and £60 Sainsburys shopping voucher from Warwickshire County Council

Still to come:
£500 Winter Fuel payment
£150 Warm Home Discount which will come from Octopus off my electricity bills.

I'm pretty sure that's everything.
At my wits end. Thinking of starting a Go Fund Me page. What d'you think? :oops:

New council tax bill arrived gone up £15 a week £750 extra a year and their on about knocking bins back to once a month saying "Any extra take it to the tip". Ask me f**kin nicely I'll drop off at the council offices and take few of their bin bags while I'm going

Cheeky c**ts

Reactions: gez
What mansion are you living in for an increase of that much? @silverdale I thought mine was getting bad going up £60 this year.

Back