Is IPTV reliable enough to replace VM?

@IANB @spud1966 @gez @janobi It was a while back when I used my Firestick for this, and it did work great, but my only gripe with using the Firestick was that, if I remember correctly with IPTV Smarters, was that you couldn't save channels as favourites, as it uses the colour buttons on an IPTV box remote control to save them. There's not that option for a Firestick, so, as you get every channel available, you have to scroll through them all to reach the desired channel, which was a pain. Again, it was a while ago, but I'm sure it was Smarters I was using. I'll happily stand corrected if I'm wrong in this.

I don't use smarters, my guy sent a link and it just downloaded the main programme, i can record but not very easy and not always successful, it has a favourites option, built in vpn, and a few more tricks, good steady clear picture. On a 3rd gen firestick, vpn won't work on 1st gen.

I don't use smarters, my guy sent a link and it just downloaded the main programme, i can record but not very easy and not always successful, it has a favourites option, built in vpn, and a few more tricks, good steady clear picture. On a 3rd gen firestick, vpn won't work on 1st gen.
I've had a VPN working on a 1st gen mate, easy streaming VPN

Never worked on mine but prob just me getting it wrong

Never worked on mine but prob just me getting it wrong
I'm a novice, just trial and error with me mate, lol. As an afterthought, I've just tried the remote with the volume controls on a FS lite, works fine on the TV, bonus!

Last edited:
Reactions: gez
Do you get the VPN for free?

@gez I've just checked with where I used to get it from, and it seems it's moved on a bit from when I last used it. Built in VPN and can save certain channels to favourites with the firestick. I'll get a free trial and see how it goes. I don't think this will be Smarters, but I'll see when he gets back to me.

Reactions: gez
I wouldn't trust a VPN from a provider, I have my own VPN that I got a great deal on, plus I can use it on other devices and the prices are cheap as chips at the mo, one of the top providers is doing a year for less than a quid a week.

I wouldn't trust a VPN from a provider, I have my own VPN that I got a great deal on, plus I can use it on other devices and the prices are cheap as chips at the mo, one of the top providers is doing a year for less than a quid a week.
I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean you wouldn't trust a VPN from a provider when he's trying to hide his information I don't understand what this isn't to trust

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean you wouldn't trust a VPN from a provider when he's trying to hide his information I don't understand what this isn't to trust
I haven't got a great deal of experience but I've found that provider VPN's just ain't that reliable, and for the deals that are going now, why not get your own to use on multiple devices. I always thought that a VPN was to hide the users ID? As I said I'm fairly new to this and am still learning.

I haven't got a great deal of experience but I've found that provider VPN's just ain't that reliable, and for the deals that are going now, why not get your own to use on multiple devices. I always thought that a VPN was to hide the users ID? As I said I'm fairly new to this and am still learning.
I've had no trouble I've been with one supplier for over 6 years who supplies an app with a VPN built in and it's the only way you can connect to his server to protect the both of you

I've had no trouble I've been with one supplier for over 6 years who supplies an app with a VPN built in and it's the only way you can connect to his server to protect the both of you
I'm just a newbie to IPTV and at the time I had my own VPN anyway but you sound like you have found a good 'un mate

I'm just a newbie to IPTV and at the time I had my own VPN anyway but you sound like you have found a good 'un mate
I have my own as well but some providers don't trust that some people would use one so make you use the app with a built-in VPN to protect their self

I also have my own paid for VPN, which I'll use if it doesn't conflict with the in built one. @gez, so far, so easy to set up these days. Got a a free 3hr trial with him and seems a very stable connection so far. I've just got a couple of more questions for him, then after I've tinkered about with the setup within the 3hr trial, I'll start off with a months sub if all's OK. Just to see how stable it is in the longer term.

My provider does a months free trial and seems stable enough for now although only been with them 2 months but well happy so far. Only thing is that the built in VPN is pants.

Last edited:
My provider does a months free trial and seems stable enough for now although only been with them 2 months but well happy so far. Only thing is that the built in VPN is pants.
Wow you get a free one month trial?

Back