Switching BB Providers

Curious123

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been with Virginmedia for about 15 years and not had too much to complain in that time with their service. I have 50MB BB+TV+Phone Anytime and pay about £39 a month for the bundle. I have no need for the TV but VM always tell me it will cost more taking it off from the package. I was checking out BT Infinity package and they were charging £10 a month for 38MB BB + Phone Line rental which is same as VM. On the the 12 month contract they give you a £100 Sainsbury contract so basically you BB free. BT say you will get 38MB download but is that actually true or do they mean 'up to 38MB'. My main concern BB would be unlimited download and BT wifi on the go seems good. Has anyone on here have experience of switching from VM to BT?

I dont have any exp of switching but when we had a house move 10 years ago BT were diabolocal it took them around 2months to get us switched on after a far few number of phone calls and it was one excuse after another but once we were switched on it is very plain sailing.

about 4 weeks fit time with bt infinity depending on the area some are more some are less
you will get nearly 38 meg . I get 78 here and was estimated at that

Ring virgin cancel your contract and tell them the reason is because the price has become to expensive, and you have found that talktalk are doing, bb and line rental for £18.50, which they are. Within a week you will get a call from virgin retentions offering you a better deal.

P.s.

I've just had a letter telling me they are increasing the price be £3.90 a month in February, so I'll be cancelling as well.

Make sure when you take out your new 12 month contract that there will no increase in February.

Last edited:
I'm with talktalk now can't complain got it on a deal, £1.75 for unlimited non fibre broadband, £5.00 for all calls with free answer phone and caller display, line rental Paid in advance so cheaper...will be going for fibre when it avail

I also got £75 of vouchers

I changed over 18 months ago as I got a deal with BT through work.
As I remember the changeover was pretty smooth but you are correct when you say the speed is up to (whatever) and ours has always been lower than max, varying from 19 to 26 meg on a 38 meg B/B

I transferred from Virgin around 4 years ago to BT fibre and have never looked back, In the 4 years i have had the fibre its been down around 4 hours in the actual 4 years. Virgin on the other hand abysmal.

I also download a lot so got sick of the 16:00 - 22:00 cap Virgin stick on there line and reduce speed after your 5GB limit, BT have Zero restrictions on Speed and download.

For me i would never go back to virgin ever.

what speed u getting digi?

I am on BT Infinity 2 and because i am around 2 doors from the roadside Fibre modem cabinet i get around 79mb Download and around 18mb Upload

I have been with Virginmedia for about 15 years and not had too much to complain in that time with their service. I have 50MB BB+TV+Phone Anytime and pay about £39 a month for the bundle. I have no need for the TV but VM always tell me it will cost more taking it off from the package. I was checking out BT Infinity package and they were charging £10 a month for 38MB BB + Phone Line rental which is same as VM. On the the 12 month contract they give you a £100 Sainsbury contract so basically you BB free. BT say you will get 38MB download but is that actually true or do they mean 'up to 38MB'. My main concern BB would be unlimited download and BT wifi on the go seems good. Has anyone on here have experience of switching from VM to BT?
I have been with virginmedia since 2002 my loyalty discount ran out this month so for 20mb bb, free evening and weekend calls it went from £27 pm upto £38 pm that includes the line rental aswell
so rang them and said cant afford that,

told them bt was doing unlimited bb, phone, free evening and weekend calls for £21.50 that includes the line rental and bt sport thrown in aswell,
they came back and offered me 50mb bb, free evening and weekend calls including line rental for same price as bt

I aint decided which to get yet as i know bt are dropping giganews (btinternet.com) on 3rd of december and im concerned i would not be able to download my nzb's for free if i switch to them,
i have always been able to get my nzb's for free with vm.

Spoke to VM and the best they could do me was £32.90, spoke to BT and they came out at about £33.90 so nothing to choose but then their Sainsburys £100 gift card and access to BT wifi is taken into consideration it tips it in their favor in my opinion. I have never used nzb's but do make good use of torrents and my son plays online games. if neither of those effected then I am switching over to BT.

Spoke to VM and the best they could do me was £32.90, spoke to BT and they came out at about £33.90 so nothing to choose but then their Sainsburys £100 gift card and access to BT wifi is taken into consideration it tips it in their favor in my opinion. I have never used nzb's but do make good use of torrents and my son plays online games. if neither of those effected then I am switching over to BT.

The Online torrents is a No-Go although i dont use them personally so not a problem for me i am sure there must be a work around but dont quote me, Online gaming should not be a problem if you go for an unlimited deal.

I pay for my line rental 12 months in advance so works out at £13.25 a month instead of the usual £16.99, although this is rising to just over £14 for a year in advance from Dec 1st

Its all a game and if you play it right and have have told them to cancel as your going to bt then expect a phone call off them in the next few days with a far better improved offer ;)

@Curious123 If you are going with BT give THIS a read
supposed to be £59.29 for the first year, if you factor in the vouchers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just checked the talktalk site they are offering £100 love to shop voucher for the next few days....may be worth asking what they can offer, and no I don't work for them lol

Re bt wifi you can setup a free account to the cloud

I was with bt for all except tv but my deal ran out and they wanted too much to renew...the bt wifi is not that good

Last edited:
Personally I would cancel virgin, retentions will ring back with a better offer.

@sneaker thanks m8 shame the offer you mentioned ends tonight. I regret not starting the question earlier. There has beeen so much information provided by everyone perhaps we should have section about it since impacts all of us in one way or another. Guys wether you work for these ISP or not is not really important because I know on this forum we all like to help each other out when it comes to getting the best deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Checked out BT's deal very closely yesterady and with all the discounts and all things considered came to £26.90 a month over the 12 month contract. Called VM and told them I had been given the above in BT's Black Friday sale and they then did a bit of fudging around and said they could give me £26 a month for the next 12 months. Having gone from £39.40 a month to £26 a month and actually going to be paying a pound less a month then what I was prepared to pay BT I happy with the result. Just wanted to thank everyone who chipped in with info about the different providers has made task a lot easier, so thanks again guys.

Remember to be back on the phone to them next year. :)

Back