Heres on for ya!!

fook me, you'll not be able to understand all that "hock i the noo" stuff in the morning man! i'll get you the welsh pid file! hahah.....

record, dead easy just click on the screen and (right click) and select record....or use your remote...

why dont you give dvblink a try its got 1 month free trail and its exerlent you can watch all your channels hd as well through mce it really is a cool prog and also try tunner free mce for all your online progs like bbc iplayer htv player hulu etc all through mce

thanks for all the help lads and ladies

now the hard bits are all done, i'll just be dipping in and out for tweaks and more advice along the way lololol

is there anyway to schedule a recording or series link etc?

also

still cant get my remote to work with dvb dream

is there any codecs or tweaks that could give me a better quality of picture?

TIA

thanks again to all

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

hi, can you tell me what codec your using for hd?`

- CYBERLINK h.264 ( dxva support-low cpu usage , great deinterlacing , although pretty useless for CS - away too sensitive to packets (frames) loss )
- coreavc 1.95 (probably the best decoder for CS ), no dxva support
- arcsoft h.264 - dxva support
- microsoft DTV-DVD h.264 ( dxva support , working great with CS & weak-breaking signal , FREE, but only available for WINDOWS 7 users )

so whats the best one to go for?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

none for vm cable - those are h264 codecs - vm uses mpeg2
a lot of people use the cyberlink codecs (come with powerdvd) but personally I find them unstable for prolonged use

purevideo works ok but again it tends to fall apart after a few hours - it's not designed for tv - it's designed for film playback which tends to have less faults in the signal

the best codec for vm I have found is the microsoft mpeg codec built into vista premium or above - I havent found it anywhere else which is why my main htpc runs vista

tbh your best bet is to just try any codecs you can and see which gives you the best pcture - or the one you prefer - as I said at the start your graphics drivers are far from ideal and introduce many artfacts, smearing, tearing etc which arent the codecs fault - the only solution i found was not to use them - which again means using vista as MS provide drivers in that - I would suggest you borrow even a low spec pci-e nvidia card for testing and you will see the difference immediately

none for vm cable - those are h264 codecs - vm uses mpeg2
i didn't know that- there are no hdtv channels on irish cabel at all:))
although , i whould recommend coreavc 1.9.5( if u got good cpu ) or microsoft DTV-DVD for BSKYB hdtv channels or any other dvb-s2 hdtv network
ps. how many hdtv channels on VM cable ? i mean why bother- you better get dvb-s2 pci card ( over 30 hdtv channels on BSKYB and plenty more around europe :)
i am watching hdtv dvb-s since 2003 :) u can watch over 100 hdtv channels at the moment :)

Last edited:
about .4 m8 lol - bbchd but it's only on for a few hours a day

for h264 coreavc is a good codec - probably not the best but it has the advantage that it will play even non compliant files - which the hardware based codecs wont

some of us dont have dishes lol

purevideo works ok but again it tends to fall apart after a few hours - it's not designed for tv - it's designed for film playback which tends to have less faults in the signal
Purevideo gets my vote. If your signal strength is within an acceptable range, you shouldn't get any errors. What kind of errors are you getting exactly, Wonko?

tbh your best bet is to just try any codecs you can and see which gives you the best pcture
Agreed, it's very subjective, but it's also important to know a little bit about the process. One of my friends was bitching and moaning about his blurry picture, and blaming everything from his CPU to his microwave oven, and it turned out he was just running a crappy MPEG2 codec with simple blend deinterlacing, which by its very definition introduces blurring, and had his HTPC set to a refresh rate that didn't match his TV. He was easily converted to the PureVideo codec.

ps. how many hdtv channels on VM cable ?
Just BBC HD, but they're testing 6 new linear HD channels in NTL Pure areas at the moment, which should launch everywhere very soon.

Last edited:
starts off fairly sharp, clear,smooth with good colour clairty and after a few hours its muddy, jerky and not cleear - pannign looks like lot of weight on camera - ie takes along time to get moving then it moves so fast you get motion sick - almost literally

somethign is falling apart over time - the most likely candidate is the codec isnt good with low quality signals - and beefore you say it again my signal levels are 100%:100% - but through previous experimentation I know that whilst ntl's picture quality is poor it is fairly consistent - however the quality and consistency of the audio is very very bad - eg you cant sync off video (to improve video smoothness) as the audio goes all over the damn place lol - and would suspect this is the cause of the problem

btw I see none of these effects using the MS codec - my desktop is set to 50hz etc.

starts off fairly sharp, clear,smooth with good colour clairty and after a few hours its muddy, jerky and not cleear - pannign looks like lot of weight on camera - ie takes along time to get moving then it moves so fast you get motion sick - almost literally

somethign is falling apart over time - the most likely candidate is the codec isnt good with low quality signals - and beefore you say it again my signal levels are 100%:100% - but through previous experimentation I know that whilst ntl's picture quality is poor it is fairly consistent - however the quality and consistency of the audio is very very bad - eg you cant sync off video (to improve video smoothness) as the audio goes all over the damn place lol - and would suspect this is the cause of the problem

btw I see none of these effects using the MS codec - my desktop is set to 50hz etc.
The symptoms you descrtbe are quite peculiar, certainly not what I'd associate with poor signal, since digital has no quality drop-off the way analog does. I just don't think the diagnosis is entirely accurate, particularly since you say your signal is 100:100. Anyway, as long as you can get results you're happy with using the MS codec, that's the most important thing. I was just curious about the specifics.

but it does have timing/sync issues - as I said above if you use reclock to sync the audio to the video stream (the reverse of normal) you get a wonderfully smooth picture but the sound goes all over the place - given that normally the video is sync'd to this dodgy audio this could cause codec's which dont allow for it significant issues

ok lol

teething problems

when i want to record somehitng i've got to watch it at the same time?

if i hit record then try to change channel then it says it has to end the recording?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

i'm not sure it will work on your card as i've never had a chance to try it, this is the low down....

"LinVDR is a very small Linux distribution turning your normal PC with a DVB video card into a rather cool personal video recorder (PVR). 'The Busybox based system requires less than 128 MB disk space and is shipped as compressed bootable CD image (31 MB) with an easy install program. Provided that you have a supported DVB card (Technotrend DVB Premium or Hauppauge Nexus) in your system, you'll get the software up and running running within 15 minutes or less. LinVDR uses the most recent development version of the Video Disk Recorder software VDR from Klaus Schmidinger. VDR is capable of recording more than one channel per time (as MPEG-2), timeshifting, cutting (with your remote control) and converting the MPEG-2 files into other formats. The 39 plugins delivered in LinVDR extend your PVR to be also a DVD player, DVD recorder, E-Mail reader, Voice mailbox and much more. Details on the software versions and plugins you can find at the project page. For download, visit the mirror list.'"

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

think it would mean building or using an existing machine.........

any way thought you had 2 cards mate?

Back