Right.. The DVB-C/S HTPC Project starts

simeonipicker

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thought I would start a different thread for this as I need a few more answers that don't just relate to DVB cable.

I have a high'ish spec HTPC:

- X2 Black Edition Dual Core at 3Ghz.
- 4 Gig PC2-9200 OCZ repear RAM.
- 1TB drive.
- The Gigabyte 780 board with intergrated HDMI.
- X-fi Sound card.

I want both my cable feed to go into this thing as well as freesat.

So both DVB-C and DVB-S cards.

So for the cable the card of choice is C-1501 budget.

So I need a card for the freesat. I want the HD Channels also.

Can I use software to decode the HD if I get a normal DVB-S card? I have seen this one:

HISAT : Satellite equipment and information : Triple-Dragon, GbSat, Twinhan, Visionnet, MVision, Dreambox

Or do I specificly need a DVB-S2 card say like this one:

http://hisat.com/proddetail.php?prod=REC_SKYSTAR_HD&cat=62

My dish is only the standard SKY one, would I need to do anything different allow freesat? Sorry if this the wrong forum to ask something freesat specific.

Cheers

The TT1501 will be fine for cable. According to Wikipedia, even the HD channels on Freesat still use the DVB-S standard, not DVB-S2. This has nothing to do with the actual decoding, though, and the 780 board can decode both H.264 and MPEG2 in hardware anyway.

Good luck. I need to get my ass in gear myself, and get my new HTPC sorted out. :)

Last edited:
Indeed, that's good news.

I must admit Senor ding dong I am now hooked on the HTPC scene. Sold a high end gaming rig to pay for it as I am just addicted to High Def materials at the moment!

Yes, HTPC'ing is kind of addictive, isn't it? :) If you're really interested in HD, though, maybe it would be better to look into getting a real Sky HD subscription to work on your HTPC? There's still only BBC HD on cable, and even Freesat doesn't have any really worthwhile HD.

Sky HD?? But then that would require me to pay for a TV service - and that is against my religion! :)

Yeah I know there isn't much to choose from, but having freesat HD will give me a few more HD channels even if they are pretty crappy at the moment.

Whats your planned spec for your HTPC?

I'm fairly agnostic myself, so I think the price of a Sky subscription could be worthwhile, but who knows, maybe VM will come through on their promise about more HD channels "soon".

As for specs, I was planning to go for more or less the same as I had before. 780g board, AMD 4850e CPU, Antec Fusion case. I only parted ways with my old one, because a friend of mine was desperate for an HTPC of his own, but is too accident prone to be trusted to put it together himself. :) I had planned to sort out a new one a few weeks ago, but been too busy with life and work.

My choice of software would still be DVBviewer. I've tried Media Portal, and it's nice and fancy, but a little too fancy for my liking. I prefer the rock solid simplicity of DVBviewer.

Whats the main differences with DVB Viewer? Can you still set up network shares to movies,music and pics Etc?

Can you implement the playback of blu-ray and HD-DVD discs also?

For me, the main difference with DVBviewer is that I prefer its interface. I thought Media Portal was just a bit too fancy. It is a very impressive looking system to impress people with, but for day-to-day viewing, I preferred DVBviewer, which was also less buggy. I haven't used it for pictures and music, but it does have those functions. I don't know about HD-DVD or BluRay.

Back