DreamBox Questions and Answers

Thanx for your comments.Will post next week to let you know how I get on

I have just realised that the 500c does not have a hard drive, you have to record to your computer hard drive. I will wait and get the 600 which has an inernal hrd drive

RF out possible?

A friend of mine recently bought a 500C and wanted to know if he can feed a second tv via the RF out and tune this tv into the Dbox?
This is how he originally had his Cable box setup and wanted to be able to do the same but upon trying, he only gets scrolling black lines, no solid pic.

Any other ways round this?

Thanks

I have just realised that the 500c does not have a hard drive, you have to record to your computer hard drive. I will wait and get the 600 which has an inernal hrd drive

magician said:
The only reason I am buying from ebay is that the image is already loaded, i dont know how to do it myself or even have the confidence to

Don't get me wrong, but if you're going to struggle putting images on a 500C then you're going to find things even harder with the 600 due to lack of support as not many people using them at the mo.

If you take a cable from the rf-out on the dreambox and put it into the antenne on a dbox2, theoretically you should be able to get all the channels. The rf-out doesn't decrypt any channels, it just passes the feed from the input to the output. It would be the dbox that would be decrypting the channels.

Does the dream box support widescreen format.
Thats the one thing that lets the eurovox down

what happens if you plug the rf out of the dreambox into your tv arial socket???

will you pick up the fta channels?

like you could with anologue???

ive seen some uk setups with sambox, cable feed goes in, then into tv as well as using scart?

It's a cable signal going into a terrestrial tuner! You will probably get about 10 channels...Sky One, Sky Sports News and a few others. No point really!

I have connected the rf out from the dm500c to a tv via coax. I get BBC1,BBC2,ITV,CH4 and ITV2. I also get some funny node monitoring page displaying local nodes (software appears to be running on xp) i thought it odd as the dreambox doesnt pick up this 'channel' !

can I connect it to satalite and cable?

Hi, may seem a silly question, but say I had cable in my house and decided to have a week away in a caravan, would I be able to connect it up to a dish to get channels, or is that a different model? sorry I'm new to dreamboxes be patient with me lol

@not2bad
The RF out is only a passthrough, it's your TV that's decoded the channel you are getting. The dreambox only decodes channels via the scart or composite video-out.

@Wistler
Satellite dreamboxes have a DVB-S tuner with LNB connections. Cable dreamboxes have a DVB-C tuner with coax connections. You wouldn't be able to use the same box. The DM600C-PVR has plug&play tuners so you could buy one of each and swap them everytime you wanted to connect it to a sat setup, but it's not out yet! ;)

Last edited:
@not2bad
The RF out is only a passthrough, it's your TV that's decoded the channel you are getting. The dreambox only decodes channels via the scart or composite video-out.

@Wistler
Satellite dreamboxes have a DVB-S tuner with LNB connections. Cable dreamboxes have a DVB-C tuner with coax connections. You wouldn't be able to use the same box. The DM600C-PVR has plug&play tuners so you could buy one of each and swap them everytime you wanted to connect it to a sat setup, but it's not out yet! ;)

thanks mate.....sorted now

I have read through all the threads in this topic but it didnt answer this question. So i have posted it below:

Does the dreambox 500c need to be in debug like Nokia DBOX2 to flash a image or there is no such thing because dreambox thought it was useless(wild guess!).

I also have another question, what does it mean when its meantion new tuner and old tuner driver i.e.did they fit new tuners after a few months? on the dreambox 500c

Boxes with new tuners started to arrive about December. Images are being created with a menu to switch between old and new tuner drivers to accommodate.

If you don't have a scanning menu on your image or you only have satellite option, your box has a new tuner and you are using an image with the old driver.

lust a quick question about VOD...will i only get it if somebody local to me orders it and oickup the straem or is it a bit hit and miss??

Back