DreamBox Questions and Answers

1. Yes, a crossover cable and Flash Wizard Pro 6.3 is all you need to flash an image! If you mess up a flash and the box doesn't boot, then you'll need a null modem cable and DreamUp software to put a base image on it again.

2. Yes, you can stream MP3s and movie/video files from your PC to the dreambox. There are tutorials in the download section for how to do this. There also tutorials in the dbox2 download section which will do the same job.

Thanks a lot for the reply just another quick question then i will leave you alone ,Could i get the null modem cable and stick a usb converter on the end or not ?

thanks again

What is an image?

Q What is an "image" and how do i get it and what is it for?
I'm new to this DreamBox. I'm thinking of buying one but not to sure about setting it up :FRIGHT:

These are a few questions everyone wants to know mainly me so ive done some research, plse correct if any are wrong ., and add to the questions, and for all us who know the answers plse answer[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
quent said:
Q What is an "image" and how do i get it and what is it for?
I'm new to this DreamBox. I'm thinking of buying one but not to sure about setting it up :FRIGHT:

These are a few questions everyone wants to know mainly me so ive done some research, plse correct if any are wrong ., and add to the questions, and for all us who know the answers plse answer
[/QUOTE]

An "image" is like firmware, or "software" for the box, that tells it what to do and how to function. Improvements are being made to this software/"image" all the time and therefore new ones are released on a (fairly) reguarly basis.

How do you get an image??? You download it from this site, and "flash" it to the box via FTP/ethernet cable.

Honestly there is really nothing to worry about, the Dreambox is sooo easy to set up, take a look at apintofmilk's guide in the download section which pretty much explains it all.

i have read a little bit of this thread today and i read that a dreambox can get vod, but it has no talkback so how can this possible? im in no way disagreing im just wondering how as im thinking of getting a dreambox in the near future

The0ne said:
i have read a little bit of this thread today and i read that a dreambox can get vod, but it has no talkback so how can this possible? im in no way disagreing im just wondering how as im thinking of getting a dreambox in the near future

You won't get VOD you may pick up a VOD stream when someone in your street books a film,but its pot luck as to when.

UNDETTERRED said:
You won't get VOD you may pick up a VOD stream when someone in your street books a film,but its pot luck as to when.

ah i see this is also the same with the dbox2's tho right ?

...so what is the real differnce with these dreambox's sound extremlly similar to the dbox's not sure if its worth buying one if its just gona be the same

The0ne said:

...so what is the real differnce with these dreambox's sound extremlly similar to the dbox's not sure if its worth buying one if its just gona be the same

First off a dbox is second hand and will be 3+ years old,its also the size of a small suitcase.
With a dreambox,brand new,12mths warranty,the size of a video cassette,alot quicker,smarter to look at and gradually beginning to carry on where the dbox will eventually get left behind.

Can anyone say is the recording from a dreambox any more reliable than a Dbox2? Dreambox-P.C. or Streaming from P.C. to Dreambox. And when streaming is the picture smooth with no audio sync or picture problem the reason I ask is if it has a 100Mbit network connection it must be able to accept more data easier.Can it stream all media formats ? Is there anything else that a dreambox can do the a Dbox2 can't?
Thanks
Galee

I haven't tried the streaming on my dbox but I've got it set up on my dreambox 500c and I have no problems with it.

I'm using a wireless router and wireless-g ethernet bridge. Recording and playback is flawless. I have watched mpg's and avi's with no problems. When the file initially starts, the lip sync is out but if you pause the playback for about 3-5 seconds then play again, it buffers and everything comes back into sync.

I've also go the MP3 streaming working too. This function is also available on the dbox but it's much better on the dreambox imo. Say you have your shared MP3 folder on your computer and you have directories withing this folder...the dbox will not recognise the directories and just list the mp3's...which is a pain if you just want to play a single album. The dreambox will see the directory structure and you can select a single folder.

Hope this helps you!

osborne82 said:
i have my router round back of my tv and a crossover cable from dreambox to the router works great. hope this helps
cheers :)
Are you sure you're using a crossover cable? A crossover cable is only required when connecting the box directly to your PC (the orange and green pairs are crossed i.e. transmit and receive). When connecting the box to a router a normal patch lead is used because transmit and receive are crossed within the router.

MrC.

yes m8 im sure its a crossover cable as my router auto detects it and works lol , but your right some routers/hubs do require a normal patch lead.

hope this helps

osborne82

MrC. said:
Are you sure you're using a crossover cable? A crossover cable is only required when connecting the box directly to your PC (the orange and green pairs are crossed i.e. transmit and receive). When connecting the box to a router a normal patch lead is used because transmit and receive are crossed within the router.

MrC.

The0ne said:

You really cant imagine how much better they are unless you actually experience one. I am back to DBOX programming now for a bit whilst I wait for c0w or rudbox to sort out a decent neutrino; and I much say how painfully slow the dbox is compared to dream500c!!! And 2 years ago I thought that the dbox was the fastest a cable box would ever go!

Two small questions if they can be answered please:)

How long does it take to scan all your channels?

And how often do they change the Cams (I belive?) so that you gotta re-scan again ?

Am i right in saying that the dreambox 500-c only has one scart socket ?? if so, how come, and does it make any difference ?? its just that i have a eurovox2 just now and it has 2 sockets, dunno if its a big deal, is it ???

Also, any chance some of you chaps could either pm me or post in here some tried and tested places for purchasing a dreambox 500-c, I want to make sure I dont buy one of those fakes that are going around.

Appreciate any advice and help guys :Cheers:

Got mine here

h**p://www.dvb-shop24.net/product_info.php/products_id/144/XTCsid/fg5bgt9evt4smovd34u2e8nkm6

Ordered it on Sunday and was at my door Thursday I know a lot of people have bought theirs from here with no trouble

Yip...that's where I got mine too. No problems at all.

It also has composite video out and L&R audio out too. Not the best but it's an option.

great faq lads - answered a lot of my questions.

cheers :D

Hi guys. Im a newbie. Could anyone give me a link to dummies instructions for dreambox 500c. I would download them here but apparently Im not allowed to download yet!! I dont know why....I made a donation. Would appreciate any help you could give.... A pm would be even better! Thanks in advance, Kramer.

has the dreambox also got component out socket or hdmi?

Back