cheap rrod parts?

just in process of doing my first now, took apart and now reading guides on wht to do next, i'll be back later and let you know how i get on.

forgot to get back to you guys, well, tried it, still got 3 red's

so i took 360 apart again, and tried slightly different method.

i used just one washer on the bolt above board to mount the CPU heatsink and i used 2 washers above the board for the GPU heatsink.

cleaned the surfaces again with nail varnish remover (not mine of course) and applied some heatsink compound from here DealExtreme: $2.14 Heatsink Thermal Compound (Grease-like) and all is working great again, no red lights, and played for over an hour without dying......touch wood.

forgot to get back to you guys, well, tried it, still got 3 red's

so i took 360 apart again, and tried slightly different method.

i used just one washer on the bolt above board to mount the CPU heatsink and i used 2 washers above the board for the GPU heatsink.

cleaned the surfaces again with nail varnish remover (not mine of course) and applied some heatsink compound from here DealExtreme: $2.14 Heatsink Thermal Compound (Grease-like) and all is working great again, no red lights, and played for over an hour without dying......touch wood.

just two washers between the heatsink and board m8

cleaned the surfaces again with nail varnish remover (not mine of course)

Missus wont be happy with her nail polish remover and her hairdryer taking lol.
Im about to grab em myself lol.

Ordered the same bits and bobs of that site, cheers lads.

Missus wont be happy with her nail polish remover and her hairdryer taking lol.
Im about to grab em myself lol.

Ordered the same bits and bobs of that site, cheers lads.

nice one mate.

i found nail polish doesn't always work any other suggestions chaps?

Have made progress wiith an E74 xbox.

I took of the GPU heatsink, removed the Goo of the heatsink and cleaned up the GPU with Nail polish remover.

Now it 3RROD, which is probably a good sign, now all i have to do is wait for the screws and washers.

Seems i have what Highlander did but in reverse lol.

@ Cisk, are you any where near Manchester, i can give you a set of the washers and bolts if you are local.

otherwise, you'll have to wait 2 or 3 days for yours to arrive.

Unfortunately not mate, i would have to get the Boat out, i live in Dublin. :)

Appreciate the offer tho, Damn weekend, it is going to be Monday at the earliest.

I hear the snow hits you lot over the weekend?

I hot air gunned my only E74 I fixed, still working 1 year on.

YE was snowing all day today, 1st proper snow in a few years, Gulf of Mexico keeps up above snow temp most of the time.

Got a error code 0020 ( not yet know, possibly overheating)

X-clamp here i come.

YE was snowing all day today, 1st proper snow in a few years, Gulf of Mexico keeps up above snow temp most of the time.

Got a error code 0020 ( not yet know, possibly overheating)

X-clamp here i come.

we'll be changing your status under your name from 'DW Top Poster' to 'DW X-Clamper' lol

I use WD40 then a final clean with nail polish remover or isopropanol to get rid of any WD40 residue m8

you know what, i totally forgot about using WD40 for removing glue type residue, as we used to use this at my old work to remove glue from machine parts.

will keep this in mind for next one, cheers.

It just seems easier and quicker when i use it.
you know what, i totally forgot about using WD40 for removing glue type residue, as we used to use this at my old work to remove glue from machine parts.

will keep this in mind for next one, cheers.

Havent used WD40 since i had the old BMX lol

Will give it a go, thanks dave24.

right before you spend all your time looking for washers and nuts etc do what i did.

i just got the artic paste and cleaner of fleebay and just cleaned the glue of with the two part cleaner. i didnt change the x-clamps just cleaned the glue and reapplied and this was roughly 4 months ago and its still working fine to this day mate. saves all the hassle of changing the x-clamps by adding washers, nuts etc.

just take the original x-clamps off, clean the glue off, then put original x-clamps back on.

sorry if ive repeated my self a few times lol

ARCTIC SILVER 5 + ARCTICLEAN - CPU THERMAL PASTE artic on eBay, also Thermal Compounds, Fans Heatsinks, Desktop PC Components, Computing (end time 13-Feb-09 06:01:16 GMT)

plus you get more than one use out of the paste mate

Last edited:
Back