Bought xbox off ebay which doesnt work advice needed

Witchy was spot on latest message from the BOY

to be blunt im a 14 year old kid whos building a pc and deosnt need this . and i have spent all the money for the working xbox that did work and now deosnt on computer componants . i dont have your money and at the wage ive been offer at miniaum wage for a 14 year old id take me about 25 hours work on a sataday on average working 5 hours a sataday itd take me 5 weeks and theres no way of working off the money . i will take responsanility if this fix damages or makes the xbox catch fire . i feel this is onlyworking beacuse your being unfair. as this item was working and i have offerd to get it fixed and i cant refund this item as i have no money best regards zac "

Not your fault he has blown the money on something he wanted. Tuff shit! Dont rip people off for your own benefit. Especially members of DW lol. Tell him he has 2 options, refund the money or send you the computer components he spent the cash on. You got him mate, so dont give up.

Read your post, and glad its sorted mate. Are you keeping the xbox anyway? lol. If so, I will buy the case off you.

Last edited:
Not your fault he has blown the money on something he wanted. Tuff shit! Dont rip people off for your own benefit. Especially members of DW lol. Tell him he has 2 options, refund the money or send you the computer components he spent the cash on. You got him mate, so dont give up.

Read your post, and glad its sorted mate. Are you keeping the xbox anyway? lol. If so, I will buy the case off you.

Unfortunatly gotta send it back all i wanted it for was the case lol.
Thanks to everyone who replied to me stopped me from panicing lol.

people put 'NO RETURNS ACCEPTED' all the time - but it's not enforceable in the slightest, it's in ebays rules and regs.

Remember to send it back recorded, or he might say you never sent it.

Recorded might not even cover you mate. Witchy had a problem with that a while back. I would use a courier mate parcels2go or something like that. Your looking at £10.59 to send it back for next day.

I sell ALOT on ebay.

You were never at any risk of losing your money. Despite what people think, the buyers have all the power.

Open dispute, escalate it if he wont refund, wait few days until paypal tell you to send it back, send it back with tracking. Once its arrived, you get a refund.

Anyone stating no refunds for damaged in transit or doesnt accept responsibility for items lost in the post if you choose untracked postage is talking out of their ass. The item up until it arrives is the sellers responsibility, if it gets lost, its upto the seller to fix it. regardless of what was in their ad.

I only ship tracked, regardless of what it is for this very reason.

Recorded might not even cover you mate. Witchy had a problem with that a while back. I would use a courier mate parcels2go or something like that. Your looking at £10.59 to send it back for next day.

Been using parcel monkey its really good garunteed next day delivery in the uk for just under £7 plus you can pay it through paypal which is a bonus when selling on ebay.

Some people must think they are flogging a dodgy copy at a car boot sale or something when they sell on ebay lol....makes me laugh when they put no refunds....because as far as I'm aware they can't uphold that as it's a prerequisite of using the site. Not only that but is it not the law when you go through official channels....

Also I've had one or two bad experiences though I've never been ripped off like that....worst I had was I bought a 360 game just before christmas time once that never turned up....the guy claimed he'd posted it of course....and for the sake of a tenner he still had me wait the 30 days or whatever before he'd refund me my money so I was out of pocket and without game at that point....it's like cheers mate nowt like customer good will....so I left him stinking rep.

Then there was another time similar where I bought something that never turned up, requested a refund, got my refund after a while but had to check it myself because the guy would not reply at all so I had no clue what what going on. Bad rep for zero correspondence whatsoever.

Most people I've bought from though have been great to deal with when problems crop up. And 8 times out of 10 they don't. Just got to get on at them and take no shit when they do try and fob you off though lol.

Been using parcel monkey its really good garunteed next day delivery in the uk for just under £7 plus you can pay it through paypal which is a bonus when selling on ebay.

Nice FB pic mate. lol. And top man for that site, looks really good, and will probably use it at some point. Thanks.

Nice FB pic mate. lol. And top man for that site, looks really good, and will probably use it at some point. Thanks.

Oh Feck a didnt realise linking my facebook would bring that up lol , sites really good and reliable alot better than treking down to the post office with sumthing bulky plus saves waiting till funds clear from paypal to the bank glad to help.

Also I love where he says its been proffessionally repaired. Only MS can proffessionally repair a console, if they had done it then he should of stated that in the description.

Nonesense, over fifty years in the repair trade and your saying I can't professionally repair a games console with dry solder joints ?

Nonesense, over fifty years in the repair trade and your saying I can't professionally repair a games console with dry solder joints ?

Err.... Who mentioned you? Or are you saying that you repaired this console? If so, then no you cannot repair it professionally. What I meant with that post was, that only MS are qualified to repair it professionally, anyone in the trade can have a bash and fix it, however how long will it last?

Its nothing to do with skills, as majority of the time MS replace the hardware anyway, rather than repair it. Its a hardware problem that MS created a long time ago, and now its just coming to bite them on the ass.

.and for the sake of a tenner he still had me wait the 30 days or whatever before he'd refund me my money so I was out of pocket and without game at that point....it's like cheers mate nowt like customer good will....so I left him stinking rep.

Im an ebay seller and comments like this annoy me, Royal mail state 14 working days until they declare an item lost. He cannot start a claim until after this, if he refunds you before and the item arrives he is out of pocket and there is nothing he can do.

You say "for the sake of a tenner" like its nothing, yet you still wanted it back? why is it wrong for him to want to protect his money/items when its a courier issue?

If you were in the trade that long and knew anything about the xbox, you would know its not dry solder joints. Its the switch to ROHS solder combined with poor design.

99% of people in the xbox "repair trade" do not have the tools or knowledge required to reball (reflow isnt an option for a lasting repair) with a proper BGA rework station.

Hell, I've been repairing stuff for years and consider myself extremely good at soldering AND have the BGA rework station required and still not much good at it yet (but practice makes perfect).

Err.... Who mentioned you? Or are you saying that you repaired this console? If so, then no you cannot repair it professionally. What I meant with that post was, that only MS are qualified to repair it professionally, anyone in the trade can have a bash and fix it, however how long will it last?

Its nothing to do with skills, as majority of the time MS replace the hardware anyway, rather than repair it. Its a hardware problem that MS created a long time ago, and now its just coming to bite them on the ass.

This is also not true, BGA packages have been around long enough for many places/people to be qualified to repair it and it be a lasting repair. If the chips are reballed with leaded solder it will be better than new. just most of them wouldnt bother with repairing xboxes as there is no money in it vs the time and equipment needed for a PROPER and correct repair job.

ROHS solder is rubbish, there are special provisions in the law requiring lead free solder for medical and military use where reliability is needed... clearly it was known this would be an issue, but for consumers - whos cares you can just sell them a new one.

Last edited:
Also that its more brittle and doesnt have the flex that leaded solder has.

Its not so much a heat issue as a poor choice in solder. leaded solder would not have this problem, even with its lower melting point.

The joints arent dry, they just snap off completely from the board.

tin whiskers is also an issue as you mention.

Im an ebay seller and comments like this annoy me, Royal mail state 14 working days until they declare an item lost. He cannot start a claim until after this, if he refunds you before and the item arrives he is out of pocket and there is nothing he can do.

You say "for the sake of a tenner" like its nothing, yet you still wanted it back? why is it wrong for him to want to protect his money/items when its a courier issue?

It is nothing. It's hardly a ton of money is it. And for the record it's not wrong not from his perspective, but there's always two sides to the coin, why is it right that I should have had to wait until after Christmas to get my money back on an item that I purchased and paid for only for it not to turn up ? What if I was skint and I'd bought the item as a Christmas present for somebody else A) I'd have been screwed or B) I'd have had to go out and spend another tenner or more to get the game in time for Christmas once again out of my own pocket and no thanks to him. That was the problem I had with it. Any other time and I wouldn't have been bothered and if it had been £20 or more I could understand it, but the fact of the matter was that it was just a tenner if that of mine that was sat in his bank account and it was nearing Christmas time too and I just felt that he could have been a lot more accommodating than he was generally speaking. But he wasn't and that's why I gave him bad rep.

End of the day at that stage it was me that was out of pocket and without item that I paid for. It might suck for the seller but I mean what was I supposed to do ? The whole point of rep is to rate your experience with them as the buyer, I paid for an item that didn't show up and was made to wait for minimal refund during a period where time is of the essence. As a buyer it doesn't get much worse than that unless you're getting ripped off and I certainly wasn't going to rate the guy 5 stars.

@two members talking about dry joints and stuff. I cant argue with either, and yes both would work fine. Point is, as you said most wont do it due to cost/time consuming. And the majority of people dont know about this fix, or where to get this fix done.

You guys obviously know your onions, where as that 14yr old kid was talking nuts. Its all sorted now, so we dont need to flex our internet muscles to show who has the most knowledge, but thanks for the heads up, as I now know who to send any boxes too that need reflowing or reballing, even though I aint got a clue what that means. lol.

If he refunded you and explained the situation, I see no reason to give negative feedback.

These things happen when you trust delivery to a 3rd party, obviously I dont know what he said. But if it was as simple as you said and he just said you would have to wait until royal mail declare it missing before refunding you, he did nothing wrong.

Infact, with proof of postage you can get the full amount back from royal mail yourself, their website has a claim form.

With regards to it not being a lot of money... it is when it happens often. You wouldnt believe the amount of scum that buy from ebay and try all sorts. Ive had people claim they dont have the item and start a paypal dispute (which i might add, the buyer WILL win if you dont have proof of delivery, proof of shipping is not enough) when I have their signature on the royal mail site.

I easily have lost £500 on ebay in the last 12 months, which all is from small transactions. does this still count as "nothing"?

Your issue was with ROYAL MAIL, not the seller. hence the feedback being unfair imo.

and janobi, I know its easy to assume sometimes that there aren't professionals on the internet, but sometimes there are and they read these threads ;) But yes, the guy in this instance was most definitely talking nuts and would have been referring to a heat gun fix or something similar which the buyer should not have settled for. I think both me and parker13 just picked up on your very generalising comment about no one being able to repair it :)

Last edited:
i'm great at soldering and melting things when drunk.....if any of you guys need a hand/tip then just hola at me.!..:banana:

Back