Bought xbox off ebay which doesnt work advice needed

mrmachinegunn

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi bought this xbox off ebay Modded HDMI Chameleon xbox 360 ! on eBay (end time 15-Jul-10 19:30:33 BST) bought it as it had modded case ect got it deliverd today and i turn it on and get the 3 red lights the seller has put on about how he wont be held responsible if damaged in the post ect as no insurance is offerd and no returns.

But surley rrod could not happen by damage in the post ect as it is an overheating issue checked the errror code and it was a 0102 i messaged him stating that it was not working ect and got this reply back could anyone give me sum advice with this as not sure what to send back.

hi personaly i dont belive that. i had it profesionaly repaird and flashed not evan 2 weeks before selling it and played it hours with absolutely no problems the day i dispatched it the only conclusion i have is it was damaged in the post or dropped beacuse it was working 100 percent the day i dispachetd it . And in the listing it says i will take no responabilty as its being posted uninsured and i will not take any responsability for it . and in the details it states no returns . i dont want to upset you and am not trying to rip you of but iv had things like this happen to me before and the items come back completely working so on my behalf i have to relist and such . right the only tip i was left by the repair shop was get 2 long thin things such as screwdrives and put them in the back vent one high and one low , this will jam the 2 fans do this and you should here no noise. leeve it in this state with the fans jammed and 3 red lights for 10 minutes and then turn it off take out the screw drivers and reboot it should now be working again , and if it doesnt work try this again . i hope this helps best regards zac .

Could be ripping you off, or, in theory a hard knock will cause the rrod as it is caused by dry solder joints, although no repair shop would tell you to jam the fans......My opinion would be claim back through paypal.....

Paypal will probably want you to take it for an independent assessment, which in the end will cost you more than you paid for the xbox!

never had good experiences with paypal lol just got this reply after i messaged him back.

well there is no returns and i hold no responsability about it as it was working 100 percent before sending it of and so it is not my responsabitly try what ive said if it doesnt work its your problem as ther was no returns and worked the day i sent it out

makes no diffrence put in a claim with paypal as item not working

am i best starting the dispute through ebay or paypal or both not sure if its the same thing.

Go direct to Paypal, but it's essentially the same thing.

Remember to neg rep the twat too.

Dude you have clearly been ripped off. You have the sale of goods act on your side, its unfit for the purpose it was sold for. Put a dispute in with ebay and paypal immediately, advise that the seller had taken no care to ensure a safe delivery, and at no point had stated that the console had been repaired.

Also I love where he says its been proffessionally repaired. Only MS can proffessionally repair a console, if they had done it then he should of stated that in the description.

He has blatantly misled you to sell something that was faulty, as for him accepting no returns, he is trying to cover his own ass. You have the law on yourside mate, and paypal will side with you.

PM the guy again, and state that you will be logging a complaint with ebay and paypal, and unless this can be sorted amicably, as you feel he has misled you. Also he cannot prove that it was working prior to posting, therefore he cannot use that as a defence.

cheers for the replys everyone just made disputes with ebay and paypal already got a response to the ebay one lol

i claim this xbox was working the day it was sent out .i also quote "it is not posted with insurance and i will take no responsibilty if its damaged in the post " the listing picture is proof of the xbox working a week before selling . i have already given instrustions on a fix that i was told to do if it ever broke again wich is not a fire hazard as heatsinks don't catch fire and this tip was given to me by my freind who deos this as a living . i will offer a solution of getting it repaird as i have been in contact with my freind who fixes theese console's under a professainal company . for no cost exept the cost of postage both ways witch would be £20 . this is only neccasery as the buyer has not listend to me and deosnt realise i have done alot of reserch on thees console and he wont listen to how to fix the problem within 10 minutes and wont trust me . best regards and i hope im being resonable as it was a non returnable item , zac"

cheers for the replys everyone just made disputes with ebay and paypal already got a response to the ebay one lol

i claim this xbox was working the day it was sent out .i also quote "it is not posted with insurance and i will take no responsibilty if its damaged in the post " the listing picture is proof of the xbox working a week before selling . i have already given instrustions on a fix that i was told to do if it ever broke again wich is not a fire hazard as heatsinks don't catch fire and this tip was given to me by my freind who deos this as a living . i will offer a solution of getting it repaird as i have been in contact with my freind who fixes theese console's under a professainal company . for no cost exept the cost of postage both ways witch would be £20 . this is only neccasery as the buyer has not listend to me and deosnt realise i have done alot of reserch on thees console and he wont listen to how to fix the problem within 10 minutes and wont trust me . best regards and i hope im being resonable as it was a non returnable item , zac"
i claim i can fly

dont worry m8

he talking bollocks

LOL !

What a load of bollocks ! unless his mate works for Microsoft then you refuse repair, as they are the only authorised repair agents :) lol

The "repair" he has advised is only at best, a very temporary limited fix.

The blokes, "no returns accepted" has no standing at all lol

I like this bit....

wich is not a fire hazard as heatsinks don't catch fire and this tip was given to me by my freind who deos this as a living

Heatsinks might not catch fire, but what about the poor fan motors that are being jammed for 10 minutes, fooking idiot.

Is this guy even old enough to have a eBay account, he sounds like a kid.

Machinegunn, send the twat a link to this forum. :)

You got him right there mate. First off it was tested and working when on day he sent it. Now he is saying it was working a week earlier. He is talking balls. Also in his add he says he has a video of it working, that dont prove nothing! It could be any xbox with that case on it. He has clearly misled you mate, and his fix is absolute drivel too.

Also he says if it broke again? So its broken before? At no point did he state that in his original listing. IMO you have him over a barrel mate, I would put those points to ebay and paypal, and also to him. And advise that unless his friend works for MS then how can he fix it proffessionally, also ask was this the person that fixed it originally, because if it was, then he didnt do a very proffessional job in the first place!

I like this bit....

Heatsinks might not catch fire, but what about the poor fan motors that are being jammed for 10 minutes, fooking idiot.

Is this guy even old enough to have a eBay account, he sounds like a kid.

Machinegunn, send the twat a link to this forum. :)

was thinking it sounded like a kid myself or maybe a 16-17yr old .
I just messaged back that if it had broke once then its likely to again and i am not willing to accept a repair love the fact he's trying to make out that its my fault cause i wont do his wee trick of stopping the fans lol.

I guess eBay strips EXIF metadata from pictures?

They sometimes have dates in them.

I'll look later on other PC.

Last edited:
Witchy was spot on latest message from the BOY

to be blunt im a 14 year old kid whos building a pc and deosnt need this . and i have spent all the money for the working xbox that did work and now deosnt on computer componants . i dont have your money and at the wage ive been offer at miniaum wage for a 14 year old id take me about 25 hours work on a sataday on average working 5 hours a sataday itd take me 5 weeks and theres no way of working off the money . i will take responsanility if this fix damages or makes the xbox catch fire . i feel this is onlyworking beacuse your being unfair. as this item was working and i have offerd to get it fixed and i cant refund this item as i have no money best regards zac "

Witchy was spot on latest message from the BOY

to be blunt im a 14 year old kid whos building a pc and deosnt need this . and i have spent all the money for the working xbox that did work and now deosnt on computer componants . i dont have your money and at the wage ive been offer at miniaum wage for a 14 year old id take me about 25 hours work on a sataday on average working 5 hours a sataday itd take me 5 weeks and theres no way of working off the money . i will take responsanility if this fix damages or makes the xbox catch fire . i feel this is onlyworking beacuse your being unfair. as this item was working and i have offerd to get it fixed and i cant refund this item as i have no money best regards zac "

The fact he has no money in the account does not matter, .. or didnt used to matter ? They used to refund the amount and put the sellers account in negative balance...

although sounds young, and I hope I am wrong.... hope not a member here !! hence the reply. But sounds like the sympathy line to me

it's tough on the lad. it's not working - simple as, no matter if he offers to fix it. say u want a full refund.

aparently he has spoke to his mum and i will get a full refund lol ma guess was it was broke from the start and he thought putting no returns on it was easy money for him.

Back