Bought xbox off ebay which doesnt work advice needed

If he refunded you and explained the situation, I see no reason to give negative feedback.

I easily have lost £500 on ebay in the last 12 months, which all is from small transactions. does this still count as "nothing"?

Your issue was with ROYAL MAIL, not the seller. hence the feedback being unfair imo.

Like I said there's two sides to the coin, we're just on the flipsides....I can see your point of view.....but I have to say that's you though and you choose to continue to use ebay because despite such a loss over the course of the year it obviously continues to be profitable for you. Which in a roundabout way is my point, wrangling over a tenner at christmas time on something like this I felt I was being nobbed quite frankly. As I said any other time I wouldn't have been half as bothered about waiting, I would have been totally cool with it, but when problems like this arise around christmas time and I'm out of pocket and without item then I do expect a little extra give and take. Because there is the element of a time factor and people only have so much money in the first place. You can think I was out of line all you like and no doubt you will but the fact is when people do right by me then I do right by them. And if not then I don't do them favors either. It's really that simple, I'm fair and very appreciative of favors but at the same time I will not stand for anyone treating me like a nob in life or business.

But I tell you another thing that wound me up at the time was that I'd left him the bad rep and then later that evening he was straight in with the email asking me to recant, and I basically told him where to go if he wasn't going to do me any favors. For me half of a good transaction anyway is what the seller is like to deal with in regards to manner and reasonable response time....especially when problems arise....and unfortunately some sellers do take the piss in that regard with ignoring correspondence etc. And at the time all I knew was that bottom line at that moment I was the one out of pocket and without item, obviously I was entitled to a refund but was being made to wait, and so by the book it was to be and when it came to rating my experience with the seller I was completely honest - and it did suck.

Put it this way m8, if he'd refunded me and not had me wait at that time of the year, I would have made a point of it in the rep and bumped the score. :)
But that wasn't how it turned out.

Last edited:
For me half of a good transaction anyway is what the seller is like to deal with in regards to manner and reasonable response time....especially when problems arise....and unfortunately some sellers do take the piss in that regard with ignoring correspondence etc. And at the time all I knew was that bottom line at that moment I was the one out of pocket and without item, obviously I was entitled to a refund but was being made to wait, and so by the book it was to be and when it came to rating my experience with the seller I was completely honest - and it did suck.

I agree with this part totally, this is why I said depending on if it was as simple as you originally said.

If he wasn't responding in a reasonable time etc, then its completely reasonable for you to be concerned about your cash. I answer all ebay questions within 24 hrs and all questions relating to "wheres my item" within an hour, as im well aware it can seem like you are being taken for a ride.

But take some reassurance in that if you go to paypal with a dispute as a buyer, you will win. There is practically no risk as a buyer on ebay.

*edit*
And yes, its still profitable, otherwise I wouldnt be doing it. But id rather be a new laptop better off for the same amount of work :(

I answer all ebay questions within 24 hrs and all questions relating to "wheres my item" within an hour, as im well aware it can seem like you are being taken for a ride.

I think that is how it should be to be perfectly honest, I'm also of the opinion that most problems if not all problems can be dealt with much more efficiently (again from a buyers perspective) if the seller is well mannered and gracious...meaning that if things are to be a certain way then it at least helps if the seller responds consistently graciously and within a consistently reasonable timeframe. Especially after they have your money. Otherwise it becomes a bit of a clusterfook especially when you know they are dicking you around....like you message a couple nights before with an enquiry or follow up enquiry and nothing but you leave bad rep and they get back to you unsolicited within hours asking for you to recant....I don't know I'm not an ebay seller, but for me, when it comes to anything online....simply put perception is reality. And so it's all well and good doing this and that when it suits you, not you personally I'm generalizing lol, but if you are selling something then imho as the seller you have to do what you can beforehand to cover your ass but at the same time you have to do what you can afterwards to put the customer first and not jerk them around just because you can't be arsed to deal with them once you have their money.

But in all fairness most problems I've ever had regarding online sales and got resolved and not just with ebay but with other stuff at the time too like certain people on certain websites charging for 360 copied games and modding frankly was made worse by a breakdown of communication on the part of the seller and as more knowledge became available to me naturally after the fact I'd think back to myself that whole thing could have been avoided if that seller had told me that same info initially and as the seller he should have known enough to know that tidbit of info. Basically to me it's like know your product (s), know your audience demo, cover your own ass in the first place but put the customer first especially once you have their money and if they're having problems. Imho a little giving can go a long way and that's what makes a great salesman too lol. :)

Just when a thought it was all over the wee dicks saying its been damaged on the way back to him and he thinks he should not need to refund me the full cost god loves a tryer a suppose lol

You were returning it because it was damaged, they don't really have a leg to stand on.

If you were returning it because you didnt want it and they claimed it was damaged on return, then you might have an issue. But in this instance you should be fine.

Paypal and ebay are owned by the same company, if you kept all your messages and reasons for returning it to the ebay/paypal messaging system, they can read them.

Just when a thought it was all over the wee dicks saying its been damaged on the way back to him and he thinks he should not need to refund me the full cost god loves a tryer a suppose lol

How can he say that? lol. It was knackered when he sent it. What a complete tool. Just keep to your guns mate, how does he say it been damaged? Or in what way has it been damaged further?

says the side of the case was cracked and box sounded like a rattle but the funny thing is it was packed the exact same way it was sent by him lol
heres what he sent me now

my packing was 100 percent fine it didnt slide about i got it and the xbox sounded like a ratle toy , youve cost me alot of money time and problems like having to get it fixxed again having to repair the case i sent it in perfect condition and the listing pictures are proof of it working and it was fully tested before it was send out. ive tryed offering options ansers and ive tryed being polite i came clean with my situation and to be honest after all of this i dont care about manners and i think little of you not to have been more mature and listend and trusted me . i had enough with you youre lucky im evan offering a partial refund no matter about a full one as youve been impolite imature and unreasanable .
this time regards dont matter

look i sold this item under my mums consent and i am offering a full refund but as you can tell im pissed of about this as i now have to work of £100 on a 14 year olds minium wage of about £3.50 a hour.
dont contact ebay as i sent that message after getting the xbox back in a condition i didnt send it like .
please dont contact ebay as i will speek to my mum and offer a full return later tonight and you might feel sorry for the persons pay pal and bank it came out of as she keeps telling me not to worry and well sort something out . but in reality i got in truble for saying what i was told was ok , and i consented my mum before the most of the replys i said including its your problem i said im not accepting returns .

after this youve messed about with my money to such a state i cant afford parents birthdays and cant afford to finish my pc im half way through building already .
im just trying to get you to see how i feel and how it feels to be in my situation.
as i said ill talk to my mum when she gets back from workand well offer a full refund .
best regards zac

Last edited:
I feel for you mate, if it was me I'd be like here u little prick dnt **** me about, but honestly though as janobi said stick to your guns end of the day you sent it back to him as damaged. And at worst it's his word against yours and you as the buyer have all the sway - just because he's spent all (your) money on ram sticks n assorted computer components. I'd be going ape shit mate. What was his rep on ebay ? Whenever I buy off ebay I always make sure to buy from seemingly reputable sellers myself but that's just me....

A feel like messaging a lot of abuse lol just trying to hold back for now a noticed he had 144 all positive feedback but 1 thing has just interested me when i seen the last 3 things he has sold were faulty xbox consoles seems a bit of a coincidence.
In my last message i told him that i was fed up messaging him and was going to contact ebay directly to sort it and thats how hes asking me not to contact ebay and he will refund me safe to say though he's gonna get his 1st bad feedback and boy it will be a bad 1 lol.

says the side of the case was cracked and box sounded like a rattle but the funny thing is it was packed the exact same way it was sent by him lol
heres what he sent me now

my packing was 100 percent fine it didnt slide about i got it and the xbox sounded like a ratle toy , youve cost me alot of money time and problems like having to get it fixxed again having to repair the case i sent it in perfect condition and the listing pictures are proof of it working and it was fully tested before it was send out. ive tryed offering options ansers and ive tryed being polite i came clean with my situation and to be honest after all of this i dont care about manners and i think little of you not to have been more mature and listend and trusted me . i had enough with you youre lucky im evan offering a partial refund no matter about a full one as youve been impolite imature and unreasanable .
this time regards dont matter

look i sold this item under my mums consent and i am offering a full refund but as you can tell im pissed of about this as i now have to work of £100 on a 14 year olds minium wage of about £3.50 a hour.
dont contact ebay as i sent that message after getting the xbox back in a condition i didnt send it like .
please dont contact ebay as i will speek to my mum and offer a full return later tonight and you might feel sorry for the persons pay pal and bank it came out of as she keeps telling me not to worry and well sort something out . but in reality i got in truble for saying what i was told was ok , and i consented my mum before the most of the replys i said including its your problem i said im not accepting returns .

after this youve messed about with my money to such a state i cant afford parents birthdays and cant afford to finish my pc im half way through building already .
im just trying to get you to see how i feel and how it feels to be in my situation.
as i said ill talk to my mum when she gets back from workand well offer a full refund .
best regards zac

Sorry but I lol'd at that. Obviously a kid, with little or no intelligence that has been caught out, and is now trying to justify it. Reply stating that if he continues with this charade you will contact ebay, and forward them the messages he has sent you.

He spent the money, and now cannot afford to buy parents presents. Is that your fault? No, its a knock on effect of him trying to rip people off.

Advise that the picture/video of it working means nothing, as all it proves is that the case works, and not the contents. Advise that you will not be responding further to his childish remarks, and antagonistic behaviour, and that you would like to deal with his parents from now on. Also point out that as the item was sold as working and when arrived was not, under the sale of goods act 1974 it was unfit for the purpose it was sold for, therefore it was returned to the original seller. And perhaps this should be a lesson to a 14yr old, not to sell things and spend the money inconsequentially.

I doubt he will understand the majority of the message, because he is 14, and cannot spell, and his grammar is terrible. I would suggest going to school, rather than flogging stuff on ebay tbh.

Sorry but I lol'd at that. Obviously a kid, with little or no intelligence that has been caught out, and is now trying to justify it. Reply stating that if he continues with this charade you will contact ebay, and forward them the messages he has sent you.

He spent the money, and now cannot afford to buy parents presents. Is that your fault? No, its a knock on effect of him trying to rip people off.

Advise that the picture/video of it working means nothing, as all it proves is that the case works, and not the contents. Advise that you will not be responding further to his childish remarks, and antagonistic behaviour, and that you would like to deal with his parents from now on. Also point out that as the item was sold as working and when arrived was not, under the sale of goods act 1974 it was unfit for the purpose it was sold for, therefore it was returned to the original seller. And perhaps this should be a lesson to a 14yr old, not to sell things and spend the money inconsequentially.

I doubt he will understand the majority of the message, because he is 14, and cannot spell, and his grammar is terrible. I would suggest going to school, rather than flogging stuff on ebay tbh.

i know hes messed me about but cant stop laughing to at every response messaged him back saying that found it a bit weird that one minute a screwdriver jamming the fans will fix it then the next he claims hes losing money having to pay to get it fixed and that i couldnt be arsed with his guilt trip crap and only to message me back about my refund.

He's probably being home tutored lol, needs a lesson in business n economics though from the looks of things. I would say he'll learn from this mistake but what bets he'll keep doing it. Probs thought it's broke oh I'll just flog it on ebay to some nobhead and they won't be able to do a thing about it...wrong dude. ;)

You should get that negative feedback on there!! That way he will get his arse slapped by his mother and that might teach him a lesson!!

Finally got my refund from somone claiming to be the boys mum left bad feedback saying the seller claims to be a 14yr old ect and noticed he's got more faulty xboxs listed hope no one else gets as much bother from him as i did.

Finally got my refund from somone claiming to be the boys mum left bad feedback saying the seller claims to be a 14yr old ect and noticed he's got more faulty xboxs listed hope no one else gets as much bother from him as i did.

Glad you got it sorted in the end!!! No doubt it will be back on ebay by the end of the week!!

Back