satellite dish or dreambox?

ice2004

Inactive User
Reaction score
Put my dish up today came in set up 1W and thats fine. Got 19.2E Prem and thats fine too all channels clearing.

Problem is when i turn it to 28.2E Astra the SNR and AGC are about 75%. If i change transponder to a different one i can get this up to 92% but when i try and access channels on it the SNR shows as being low again and they dont clear :(

Is this a problem with my dish setup or my dreambox setup?

Put my dish up today came in set up 1W and thats fine. Got 19.2E Prem and thats fine too all channels clearing.

Problem is when i turn it to 28.2E Astra the SNR and AGC are about 75%. If i change transponder to a different one i can get this up to 92% but when i try and access channels on it the SNR shows as being low again and they dont clear :(

Is this a problem with my dish setup or my dreambox setup?
hi ice2004, when you say 'they dont clear': do you mean poor images or pay channel and there is nothing on the screen at all??????

If it is the former , the problem is the dish: poor orientation, poor signal, poor images.
if it is the latter, then you maybe understand why.........

OK what i did was moved dish to south then told dreambox to turn to 1W. i sorted my signal out so it was good and saved that setting.

I then moved to 28.2E and the signal was at best 75% but when i changed transponder i got readings of 95%. I saved the 95% transponder and tried to view a channel and it had a blank screen and SNR of 65-75%.

However when i moved it to 19.2E the SNR was about 75% but i changed transponder and got 95% and saved that and i could watch the channels perfectly.

So why is it when i save the good transponder of the 28.8E satellite it still reverts back to the crap SNR and doesnt keep the good SNR i had saved?

How do you save a good transponder? I am finding that I can watch Premeiere 19.2 perfectly and Ican watch 28.2 perfectly but I find that on 13.e the channels are open and than turn blank. I had pciture on Multivision for a bit than it went blank same for Al carte. I guess I must fine tune my dish

Well im using enigma 4.2 i think and this is what i was doing.

menu > settings > service searching > motor config > blue button (next page)

and then choosing a satellite and moving the motor round till i get as good a signal as possible, then changing the transponder to the strongest one (best SNR, AGC and BER of 0) and pressing green button to store that location.

Then when i choose a satellite it moves to that stored position, well for some anyway hence this post!

Guessing your pli image will have the same not sure tho.

I am doing a search on a satellite and waiting till I get a lock and than doing a scan, on 28.2 and 18.2 I get a lock almost immeadiately but I can't seem to get a lock on 1.w on thor so I guess my dish is pointing a little low. I have not saved any positions for my sats so maybe I should try that and see what happens. Whtas bugging me is that I crystal clear picture on some channels and than it turns black.

I have exactly the same problem with my setup on 28° discovery bouquet 2 of them 96% the other 7 or 8 down to 65% and no picture I know dishes have to be fine tuned but I still think its the tuner or the image
regards t,bobs

@Curious123 your problem isnt with your signal its the way the tps keys work, so you need to fix your emu & update keys (there are many threads to help).
@Ice2004 you dont seem to have a problem? 75% signal isnt crap and will get you a picture, plus its totally normal for some transponders to be stronger than others. Are you sure that you arent trying to clear a sky channel? Obviously you wont get a picture on those because they arent hacked, but that is nothing to do with your signal strengh.
@terrybobs, the discovery channels on 28east are sky channels you wont get a picture even if your signal was 99%.

Hope this clears up some things for you guys as i think your images are fine and your dishes are most probably fine too.

When i go to Thor 1W i can get BBC World with SNR 85%+ and a few other channels on this package too (poker channel etc).

When i go to Digitv which is also on 1W i get no channels and when i look at SNR its down at 60%?

Last edited:
When i go to Thor 1W i can get BBC World with SNR 85%+ and a few other channels on this package too (poker channel etc).

When i go to Digitv which is also on 1W i get no channels and when i look at SNR its down at 60%?
Your dish is not aligned correctly or your dish is too small. 60% signal is not enough to receive that beam.

If you have a satellite meter you can 'tug' gently on each side of the dish to see if you can gain any signal in any direction? Or do the same with someone watching your screen to see if you can gain signal with just slight gentle pushes/tugs on the dish. If you are fully aligned and cannot get more than 60% signal then you need a larger dish.

so even although i can find a transponder on 1W giving 92% SNR my dish might not be aligned properly?

I get premiere, TPS, Polsat etc and some on Thor (very few).

Last edited:
so even although i can find a transponder on 1W giving 92% SNR my dish might not be aligned properly?

I get premiere, TPS, Polsat etc and some on Thor (very few).

hi,

premiere, tps, polsat are not on thor 1w they are on hotbird 13e.

hi,

premiere, tps, polsat are not on thor 1w they are on hotbird 13e.

premiere is on astra1 is it not?

What i mean is i can go from Astra 1 to hotbird to sirius2/3 and all have 90%+ SNR.

When i move to Thor i can find a transponder thats 85%+ but when i save this the only channels that work are BBCWorld, Poker channel and a few others and none on DigiTV.

What im wondering is if i can go from Astra - Hotbird - Sirius ok and i can find a good transponder on Thor 1W is there still a possibility my sat dish inst aligned?

@pinkhelmets I do have a skycard what I was trying to say was that 2 channels clear at 95% and the others drop to 65% and say no signal can being received I've trieed allsorts to no avail
regards terrybobs

edit by the way my setup is a 1 metre gilbertini dish/0.3 invacom lnb and motorised with a stab HH100

The answer is still the same guys. Yes you can have good signals on 28 + 19 + 13 but then not have good signal on anything else. If your dish does not follow the satellite arc then each satellite will get gradually worse as you fall further from the arc.

@terrybobs, do you get the MTV channels and if so what signal levels? Try mtv1, mtv2, mtv hits, as they are all on the same 'south beam' but they are a different polarisation, so this may show if its a local interferance problem or dish alignment problem.

Went out this morning and raised the motor up on the pole and everything is spot on now :)

92-95% on most channels now. Think i maybe rushed the install coz it was snowing heavily when i originally put it up but today its quite mild.

Thanx for everyones help :thnks:

Glad to hear you've got things sorted.
When the weather is a bit better, i would check your pole is dead vertical with no movement.
Ensure the dish is central to its backing plate, and re-check your declination / dish angle and make sure everything is tight.
Use a meter, or the sat finder screen/TV outside to make sure you've got the best SNR on 1w (Use the BBC world transponder 11325H, 24500 7/8 as this is strong in the UK)
Then you should be trouble free for the future

Back