vpn on my TP-Link ARCHER-C7 v5 flashed with DD-WRT

GIO

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Wasnt sure where to post but i suppose its related to here.
Need some guidance with my vpn on my TP-Link ARCHER-C7 v5 flashed with DD-WRT v3.0-r44483

I set it up using OpenVPN UDP settings on DD-WRT Flashed router, problem is im getting approx 12/13mb download speed and im getting 110mb from virgin when not on vpn
ive tried the 3 servers all uk and no difference, is there a possible setting thats causing slowness, i got the below info from nordvpn, dont no if they are just palming me off as it seems pointless if i cat get the speeds up to even use them or is there another way i could setup to improve speeds, i understand losing 30% speed using vpn but this is just a massive amount im losing.

REPLY FROM NORD
The downside to OpenVPN is that in its current architecture, it is not scalable. It runs as a monolithic process and cannot run multi-threaded.

This means that if you have a beefy processor with 8 cores and each of the core has 8 threads, OpenVPN will use only a single thread in one of the available cores.

Regarding routers - they do not have powerful CPUs, thus encrypting and decrypting OpenVPN traffic is a real challenge for them. For that reason, the speed can drop by a large amount.

You could try increasing your speed by connecting to a few different servers (preferably to the ones in yours or neighbouring country), changing between TCP and UDP, enabling QoS and changing Upload and Download to 100Mbps, disabling SPI Firewall and NAT Acceleration (if your router has one). You could also try looking for the most optimal MTU value on your router which could be in the range from 1300 to 1500.

If these changes do not help and you are getting better speeds while connected to the same servers with our software on your computer, then, unfortunately, your router's hardware cannot encrypt the internet traffic fast enough and this is the reason for speed drop. In this case, there is nothing that I can suggest you, unfortunately.

Are you able to make use of WireGuard with dd-wrt?

WireGuard is faster, leaner and supports multicore (from what i've read).

if it worked and gave me good speeds, i just bought a cheap 3 quid nord from fleebay to test, i subscribed to purevpn for years but gave up with them as there help section nothing worked and there online helpers had british names but were in china, i got so pissed off i emailed them told them i wasn't renewing and service was sh*t.

if it worked and gave me good speeds, i just bought a cheap 3 quid nord from fleebay to test, i subscribed to purevpn for years but gave up with them as there help section nothing worked and there online helpers had british names but were in china, i got so pissed off i emailed them told them i wasn't renewing and service was sh*t.

oooh dear ,i just bought a TP-Link ARCHER-C7 and will be using PureVPN.....is it that bad?
it should be here on the 22nd...i'll post then if i'm connected up ok

I tried PureVPN mate and it was shocking lucky the new account came with a 31day money back guarantee.

Using Nord at the mo and through my old Nighthawk R7000 i get 35-40mb, enough for 2 streams running.

CPU power is the key though for good speeds over VPN as the cpu of the router has to do all the encryption work.

Do i put my VM Router into modem mode or leave as is?
i'll only be using the dd wrt router thats plugged into it

oooh dear ,i just bought a TP-Link ARCHER-C7 and will be using PureVPN.....is it that bad?
it should be here on the 22nd...i'll post then if i'm connected up ok

i couldnt get purevpn to work, tried all there tutorials, im sure i done right as i done so many times, there help was sh*t, just going round in circles with them so wont be renewing.
tried nordvpn and got it working but was really slow, 12mb and i get 108mb, as ferret mentioned i believe that was the problem.
never paid much to test that so im now going to try surfshark, again a cheapy from fleebay, see how i get on.

CPU on the TP-Link ARCHER-C7 is 720 mhz and the ram is 128mb

With that in mind i dont think youll see much more then 20mb download as the cpu is not fast enough for anymore speed than that.

CPU on the TP-Link ARCHER-C7 is 720 mhz and the ram is 128mb

With that in mind i dont think youll see much more then 20mb download as the cpu is not fast enough for anymore speed than that.
Ferret you sound like you know what your talking about, so in my books its too late, ive bought the router, ive flashed with DD-WRT.
To save me wasting more money buying different vpns to test can you recommend any vpn that will keep my speeds up and work.

I did buy a cheap nord that didnt go well, im looking on surfshark site and was going to test that but again id need to buy a cheap package from fleebay just to test
was also looking at expressvpn

No VPN is going to keep your speeds up with VPN going through your router, you'll get no more then 20mb on your router it is a hardware limitation not enough cpu processing power or ram.

Try PIA pretty solid VPN company. But again trial it before you buy.

No VPN is going to keep your speeds up with VPN going through your router, you'll get no more then 20mb on your router it is a hardware limitation not enough cpu processing power or ram.

Try PIA pretty solid VPN company. But again trial it before you buy.

so basically doesnt matter what vpn i try they will all be slow unless i upgrade to a better router
why do you think PIA might work if its cpu/ram issue, would be great if it did but you need to sign up and buy first to then ask for money back after trial

so basically doesnt matter what vpn i try they will all be slow unless i upgrade to a better router
why do you think PIA might work if its cpu/ram issue, would be great if it did but you need to sign up and buy first to then ask for money back after trial

Basically no VPN will get beyond 20mb on that router. Not even Pia

You need a high spec dual core type router the faster the cpu the better.

Ive a dual core Netgear Nighthawk R7000 old tech now but ive had it years its spec is 1ghz Dual Core CPU 256ram its overclocked to 1.2ghz and running Merlin. 200mb line and best ill see on PIA or Nord is a stable 35mb occasionally ill hit 45mb on it.

Some will recommend building your own router from a small form factor PC, a old pc running PFsence but it not for everyone. But has the ram and CPU are unlimited in a PC you get the best speeds your VPN provider can give and none will hit 100mb even then.What i do is run 2 routers, one router allows legit traffic through a none VPN router at full speed and anything dodgy streaming wise runs through that Netgear VPN router. Even then i need to occasionally need to use a VPN app on the PC.

Basically no VPN will get beyond 20mb on that router. Not even Pia

You need a high spec dual core type router the faster the cpu the better.

Ive a dual core Netgear Nighthawk R7000 old tech now but ive had it years its spec is 1ghz Dual Core CPU 256ram its overclocked to 1.2ghz and running Merlin. 200mb line and best ill see on PIA or Nord is a stable 35mb occasionally ill hit 45mb on it.

Some will recommend building your own router from a small form factor PC, a old pc running PFsence but it not for everyone. But has the ram and CPU are unlimited in a PC you get the best speeds your VPN provider can give and none will hit 100mb even then.What i do is run 2 routers, one router allows legit traffic through a none VPN router at full speed and anything dodgy streaming wise runs through that Netgear VPN router. Even then i need to occasionally need to use a VPN app on the PC.

take it you mean something like this Mini Computer
but the PFSense throws me, been in IT for 20 years but my vpn is basic.

looks like ill be boxing this router and flogging on a facebay or fleebay, im now disheartened:( ;) so wont really matter what router i get, i knew id lose around 30% speed but not as much as this, its not needed right this min, just planning ahead, may need to look at other alternatives, i have vpn on the pc and my Formuler z alpha but fancied protecting everything on my network, youve been a great help, appreciate your time

Like @GIO i tried everthing and couldn't get it going.
I've done a few first time but this one beat me.

Like @GIO i tried everthing and couldn't get it going.
I've done a few first time but this one beat me.
let me know bob if you get this sorted, i cant be bothered starting to pack up the router right now and redoing my vermin one, after going thru the flashing to dd-wrt, dont no if i should sell like that or reflash back

let me know bob if you get this sorted, i cant be bothered starting to pack up the router right now and redoing my vermin one, after going thru the flashing to dd-wrt, dont no if i should sell like that or reflash back
I gave up and boxed it back up.
Mine went through the motions of flashing back to stock,but reeboted back to dd wrt?

I ended up buying an asus RT-AC88U with the guardian app (pre configured for 30 different vpn,s)....its not arrived yet.
Good luck with yours matey

Mine went through the motions of flashing back to stock,but reeboted back to dd wrt?

I ended up buying an asus RT-AC88U with the guardian app (pre configured for 30 different vpn,s)....its not arrived yet.

let me know how you get on with it, speeds etc, whats the guardian app

Cracking router mate. Expensive but that will do the business. Youll get 45-55 mb on Nord with that.

let me know how you get on with it, speeds etc, whats the guardian app
Its an app that saves faffing about with vpn settings.
It pre-configures your router for up to 30 different vpn clients..

i'll click purevpn on the list and enter my user/pass and server,and click connect.

I'l post the exact details when the router arrives tomorrow and i actually use it.
Cracking router mate. Expensive but that will do the business. Youll get 45-55 mb on Nord with that.
Its flashed with dd wrt which is a bonus..

Back