vpn on my TP-Link ARCHER-C7 v5 flashed with DD-WRT

For what its worth GIO i have this purevpn server woking on my asus router...

uk-pptp.ptoserver.com
a working server is half the problem i hope..

Its an app that saves faffing about with vpn settings.
It pre-configures your router for up to 30 different vpn clients..

i'll click purevpn on the list and enter my user/pass and server,and click connect.

It was as easy as that ^^^^

let me know how you get on with it, speeds etc, whats the guardian app
the router is very expensive wondering how hard it is to set a 2nd pc up, can pick up a mini pc on amazon for £130 and has great spec

the router is very expensive wondering how hard it is to set a 2nd pc up, can pick up a mini pc on amazon for £130 and has great spec
theres a few good YT videos loading PFsense, i think getting it on the pc with a bootable usb is the easier bit.

As mentioned by @Ferret, it does depend on your hardware and also factors like how secure it is (more secure the slower) and server connecting too. Also, protocol you're using can play a part in it.

On my laptop, I get average of around 40/10 without VPN. Laptop is an i5, quad-core at 1.6GHz.

Now using PIA VPN but with WireGuard protocol (instead of OpenVPN protocol) connecting to somewhere not UK, I get near enough (odd meg or so less) the same speed as without VPN. This is same laptop using latest local Windows PIA client, with test done several times to ensure it wasn't a one-off "miracle" speed haha.

It depends on also what you're after? Most of time, I need to stream but not geo-locked so on my Vu Solo2 where unfortunately I have to use OpenVPN (rather than faster WireGuard), I connect to the same server but with as minimal encryption as can get away with, my download speed is about 20meg (upload remains around same as without VPN). So around 50% reduction in download speed. This is, thankfully, still sufficient for streaming on it's own normally.

I did have to play around encryption settings in OpenVPN to get this speed as with default encryption the download was less.

Back