Wifi problem - internet or not?

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am experiencing what seems to me to be a rather odd problem. My "every day" laptop (HP Envy i7 with 12GB ram on Win10) has been a bit temperamental the past few days - when I resume from standby the wifi icon displays the dreaded yellow triangle, saying I'm connected to the AP but there's no internet. Other devices on the same network are fine. The main gateway router is in another part of the house (further away), if I can connect to that everything is fine, it just that the wifi signal is weak due to the distance and other obstacles and it can drop out - hence the secondary AP. DHCP is handled by the gateway router.
BUT, back on the nearby AP, I can log in to the main router's setup page (192.168.0.x) which loads fine. I then tried pinging 8.8.8.8 and that worked too, despite the yellow triangle still showing.
So I am confused. If I can ping Google's server (or any other come to that) then why don't I have internet?
Previously turning off wifi & re-starting would clear the problem, now even a re-boot doesn't help. o_O
Any suggestions?
The other half thinks this is happening ever so conveniently close to the 25th of next month!

I am experiencing what seems to me to be a rather odd problem. My "every day" laptop (HP Envy i7 with 12GB ram on Win10) has been a bit temperamental the past few days - when I resume from standby the wifi icon displays the dreaded yellow triangle, saying I'm connected to the AP but there's no internet. Other devices on the same network are fine. The main gateway router is in another part of the house (further away), if I can connect to that everything is fine, it just that the wifi signal is weak due to the distance and other obstacles and it can drop out - hence the secondary AP. DHCP is handled by the gateway router.
BUT, back on the nearby AP, I can log in to the main router's setup page (192.168.0.x) which loads fine. I then tried pinging 8.8.8.8 and that worked too, despite the yellow triangle still showing.
So I am confused. If I can ping Google's server (or any other come to that) then why don't I have internet?
Previously turning off wifi & re-starting would clear the problem, now even a re-boot doesn't help. o_O
Any suggestions?
The other half thinks this is happening ever so conveniently close to the 25th of next month!

Sounds like you have some of the low level protocols but not the higher which would point to a Windows problem.

Maybe try the Troubleshoot tool.

Do you have local network access (fileshares etc.)?

I had trouble for months with my win 10 main pc when waking from sleep. Either my mouse wouldn't work or the internet wouldn't connect. restart would sort it until the next time it went to sleep.
Occasionally it would wake "normally"

I reinstalled grudgingly but have had no problems whatsoever since

Just thought I would add that the troublesome install was the upgrade. Could be that it's better from a clean install.

Over the years iv had loads of crap with windows mainly from back up software ( cough)

And had the restore point enabled which is crap as well

Best to install windows again from scratch, slap all your programs drivers and on again ect and make an image back up with Macrium software

Then if windows update goes pete tong yet again lol slap you image back on

I make a fresh image when there is a big update from windows (long as every this is working fine) but keep 2 old backups just so be safe

And back up the images onto an external drive as well to be extra safe lol

Last edited:
I uninstalled Macrium last week in favour of Easus Todo which has more features than Macrium. I've set it to do a full backup once a week and incremental backups daily

Thanks for all the suggestions.

1) I can "see" other devices on the network but cannot seem to access them.
2) Have just rolled back wireless driver from 2017 version to 2015. Still the same.
3) Cannot ping URL's.
4) I have set the wireless network to 'metered' to try and stop the big automatic updates.
5) This is an upgrade from 8.1. I have been thinking for a while about doing a fresh install - it's just that I have so much stuff on it (programs & files) that I feel it would be a major undertaking to back it all up. (Actually most files are backed up on a NAS). The hard drive has a recovery section but I presume that will still be 8.1.

Still seems strange though that it works fine when connected (still via wifi) to the gateway router.

you pick the location where you wish to save the backup m8

I uninstalled Macrium last week in favour of Easus Todo which has more features than Macrium. I've set it to do a full backup once a week and incremental backups daily
@chookey is that freely available proggy or a cough cough one ?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

1) I can "see" other devices on the network but cannot seem to access them.
2) Have just rolled back wireless driver from 2017 version to 2015. Still the same.
3) Cannot ping URL's.
4) I have set the wireless network to 'metered' to try and stop the big automatic updates.
5) This is an upgrade from 8.1. I have been thinking for a while about doing a fresh install - it's just that I have so much stuff on it (programs & files) that I feel it would be a major undertaking to back it all up. (Actually most files are backed up on a NAS). The hard drive has a recovery section but I presume that will still be 8.1.

Still seems strange though that it works fine when connected (still via wifi) to the gateway router.

I didn't pick up on the bit about it working when connected to the gateway router. Will other devices connect through the access point that you can try?

Got to be a setting on the router or the access point surely.

Are the adapter setting as they should be in Network Centre in Windows?

Chookey if you cannot ping URLs then you've got a problem with the network stack. Check your DNS hasn't changed to something weird. Basically you cannot access the internet as the PC is unable to translate the IP 8.8.8.8 to a website address. I had similar problems on a HP laptop and no matter what I did, it wouldn't work. I updated the drivers, disabled, re-enabled the WiFi card, nothing would work. I ended up formatting it, and returning to Win 7. Didn't have problems after that.

@Spectre

Will other devices connect through the access point that you can try? Yes, other devices all work fine. They can also access shared files on my PC, but not the other way around.

Got to be a setting on the router or the access point surely. Same gateway router and AP I've used for over 2 years, haven't changed anything.

Are the adapter setting as they should be in Network Centre in Windows? Again I haven't changed anything apart from rolling back the driver to try and solve it.

OK, got it working again, thanks again for all the suggestions.
Thanks you @janobi , you reminded me - a few weeks back I did change the DNS server to 1.1.1.1, as its ping times were (still are) about half those of the 8's. I had a look at the settings and it had reverted to automatic. I've set it back to the 8's and, touch wood still ok after a power cycle.
So great that all is OK again but still a mystery as to why it worked OK on one wireless network but not the other.
But it has prompted me to look into the regular backup thing - and probably a re-install, hopefully get rid of all vestiges of Win8.1. A job for the holidays perhaps.....

Back