ipad alternative

dilly1066

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hiya, want sure where to post this , so seen as it will probably be a android o/s thought this be the best place, im looking at getting a ipad alternative tablet, i have a iphone 4 and love it but i really cant afford a ipad although i would probably love it, so im lookign at getting soemthing simular, ive been doing a little reading on android o/s and seems like you can do a simular thing to jailbreaking a iphone/ipad called rooting is it ? so is there soemthing like installous on the android o/s tablets ? ive got no idea what im looking for but basically want something like the ipad but alot cheaper, whats peoples opinions one the other tablets available and what have other people got ? all help much appreciated, thanks

Some suggestions in here mate.
HH.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you want to do with the pad ?

Are you after a 7" or 10" screen.

What's your budget, if you can reach £420 then the asus transformer is probably the android device out there. If the budget is less the you can pick up a 10" dual core tablet for around £250 (one person on here has one on sale for £150 nearly new) but it will be a lower screen resolution. Drop down to £130 and you can pick up a cheapo chinese 10" tablet like the aPad (I have one and its brilliant for what I want to use it for). Any lower then you are looking at 7" screens.

hi, thanks for replys, 420 is to much for me, i would like a 10inch really, it be mainly to watch films, play games and carry around to friends houses instead of taking my laptop all the time, i was looking at them apad is it ? on ebay which actually looked quite good, there selling the archos 101 for 150 at the moment but from reviews ive read i think the advent just tops abit with screen responsiveness but i havemnt had ago on any so im only going from what ive read, what do you use yours for ? have you got yours rooted i think the term is ? thanks

i think its a choice of the advent vega thats forsale, archos 101 or one of them apad things off ebay, what are peoples thoughts as im really unsure which to go for ? thanks

Last edited:
think ive made my mind up, think im gona try the advent vega, ive read theres abit more work to be done out of the box than the archos but the specs are better and the advent seems to have quite abit of support now with new updates frequently, read the viewing angles arnt great on either of them but advent is abit more responsive, hopefully wont be disappointed . thanks

Hi dilly, ive just brought a advent vega & i must say that you will not go far wrong with it mate!! & very cheap:) Im sure you are aware that the standard google apps don't come with it But there is a fair few custom roms out for it, which include all of the google goddies ,if you are into that sort of thing.

Hi dilly, ive just brought a advent vega & i must say that you will not go far wrong with it mate!! & very cheap:) Im sure you are aware that the standard google apps don't come with it But there is a fair few custom roms out for it, which include all of the google goddies ,if you are into that sort of thing.

thanks for that reply mate made me feel abit better lol, im just waiting to pay for it now so should have it in a few days so no doubt will be asking for help with it on here, very much into getting all the goodies lol, thanks

what firmware or rom is it have you got on yours then mate ? and have you got it rooted i think the term is ? thanks

Best rom at them moment, IMO, is Corvus5+SP1 (with LCD density set to 140), and believe me I have tried them all.

Every custom rom i have tried has SU access so assume they are all rooted, don't know about stock 110 since never had it on long enough to check.

Vegacomb (honeycomb) should supersede that, but at the moment still a tad unstable for everyday use

Last edited:
Afternoon dilly, I think corvus5 + sp1 for me at the moment. The like's of vegacomb 1.7 thoe, is very nice looking indeed but there are some issue's still at the moment with it. I think im gonna try it thoe! That's the good thing again with the vega, it is hard to brick it.

Here is a couple of sites for you to check out ,there is good sections on the vega ,you know how to flash a custom rom etc,etc.

Welcome to the tabletroms.com development community

MoDaCo

Afternoon dilly, I think corvus5 + sp1 for me at the moment. The like's of vegacomb 1.7 thoe, is very nice looking indeed but there are some issue's still at the moment with it. I think im gonna try it thoe! That's the good thing again with the vega, it is hard to brick it.

Here is a couple of sites for you to check out ,there is good sections on the vega ,you know how to flash a custom rom etc,etc.

Welcome to the tabletroms.com development community

MoDaCo

hiya, cheers mate for the sites, the person im getting it off reccommended corvus5 so he said he would put that on for me, should have it tommorrow so will hopfully get chance to have a good play with it, thanks

Hiya, my advent vega came this morning had quick play with it & im on it now but im having abit of trouble with apps. Ive managed to install windows live on the go and ive got that black market on here and mobilism i think its called but i cant seem to install any apps off them, black market i think it is says it needs super user to be able to install and then seems to do a mini reboot but nothing happens. Also when these apps are downloaded where do they go? Any one got any ideas to help me out? , im a total noob when it comes to android stuff, thanks

Morning dilly, that black market app never worked that well for me mate. Just google on your pc and use mobilism like you said. Transfer the apps, off your pc and make a little folder in the root of your sd card called downloads,then you will know where they are. If you dl from the net you will have to install them mate with the the ifile manager app on your vega.

Thanks logo il try that,
Them samsung tabs bit out of my price range at the minute & to be honest im more than happy with this advent vega i think its great,
Has anyone got a cary case for there vega, been looking on ebay and looks like theres some pretty good ones about, i think id like a little laptop bag i think, front pocket etc for the charger to go in aand coupleof pockets maybe inside for a pen and little writing pad, anyone got any reccomendtions? Thanks

hi again everyone, im getting abit used to this advent vega now and im liking it, at the minute im trying to put a film on it but im struggling to fined where to transfer the film to, ive got the sd card in my pc now but which folder do i transfer the film into ? also what format does the film have to be and do i need a app or anything on the advent to play it ? thanks

hi again everyone, im getting abit used to this advent vega now and im liking it, at the minute im trying to put a film on it but im struggling to fined where to transfer the film to, ive got the sd card in my pc now but which folder do i transfer the film into ? also what format does the film have to be and do i need a app or anything on the advent to play it ? thanks

plonk it anywhere on the SD it don't matter one iota, or if you want to be neat make a folder called movies to put it in, the media scanner process should pick it up.

The inbuilt video player should play most things but I prefer rockplayer, it plays all you can throw at it, and it comes it a Tegra(vega) HW accelerated flavour --> here. It's free, you just get an 'R' logo it the top right, which aint no biggy.

Last edited:
plonk it anywhere on the SD it don't matter one iota, or if you want to be neat make a folder called movies to put it in, the media scanner process should pick it up.

The inbuilt video player should play most things but I prefer rockplayer, it plays all you can throw at it, and it comes it a Tegra(vega) HW accelerated flavour --> here. It's free, you just get an 'R' logo it the top right, which aint no biggy.

hiya mate, thanks for that player il give it ago now, ive just found and played planet of the apes video, never thought of using ifilemanger i think its called then just clicked on the file lol, really not used to it yet, always had apple stuff which is alot different i think but im getting there, do you use any converter then to make the films smaller or just for avi files around 700mb, think il have to get a bigger card, 16g or something , or which reminds me when buying a new card for the advent im reading about a class 4 should do it, im presuming then theres different classes of cards which is like a rating of the card in a way, how fast it is etc, so has anyone got a bigger card for there advent and if so which class did they go for ? thanks

hiya mate, thanks for that player il give it ago now, ive just found and played planet of the apes video, never thought of using ifilemanger i think its called then just clicked on the file lol, really not used to it yet, always had apple stuff which is alot different i think but im getting there, do you use any converter then to make the films smaller or just for avi files around 700mb, think il have to get a bigger card, 16g or something , or which reminds me when buying a new card for the advent im reading about a class 4 should do it, im presuming then theres different classes of cards which is like a rating of the card in a way, how fast it is etc, so has anyone got a bigger card for there advent and if so which class did they go for ? thanks
I use class 6 transcend 16gb, but I also use link2sd to dump most of my apps/games on SD to a seperate EXT2 partition. Play.com had some cheap samsung 16gb (class6&10).
Nope, don't bother converting files to play, since only watch normal SD avi's on the Vega, even the load on anime mkv's I have play without any problems.

hi, thanks for reply mate, with the class of the card then is higher class better than lower class ? ive read somewhere about people having 2 partitions on the sd card for what you have just said, is your 16g card big enough then or would you go for the bigger one ? what partition sizes do you have then for the EXT2 partition for the apps/games side of things ?

Back