Android Why such a poor standby time on Android tablet?

Arthur Daley

DW Regular
Reaction score
I've had a few old Apple iPads lying around for years and the newer of them, a 4th generation iPad, I used almost exclusively to connect to my Virgin Media supplied router in order to login to the router if I wanted to change any settings or reboot it. The beauty of this setup is that once the iPad was fully charged it could stand idle, but on standby, for weeks if not months without needing to be charged again.
Anyway, I decided that I needed a newer tablet, one I could actually install new apps on, so decided to go Android as I have an Android phone and get a Lenovo Yoga Smart Tab. Now, although I like using this tablet, the sound is good and the shape makes it easy to hold with one hand while you touch screen with the other, etc., the standby time is chronically bad. I'd say it lasts 4 or 5 days at most, just on standby, without getting used.
My question, if you like, is why can an aging Apple iPad, even a 1st generation one lasts weeks, last so long on standby and yet relatively new Android tablets have such poor energy efficient internals? Rant over :mad:

Try putting it into flight mode should last longer
Hello Spud, you're right it would extend the battery standby time but also cripple it's use as an internet enabled tablet. I use it for more than just rebooting the Virgin Media router so this sadly isn't really an option. I think it's just something we're going to have to live with until future models have more advanced internal components, unless someone has a recent model Android tablet with amazing standby times that can enlighten us?

Flight mode will still allow WiFi if you enable WiFi after setting flight mode in my android tablet. This will disable Bluetooth and the sim slot if there is one. Bluetooth and the sim take up a lot of power and has helped loads with my tablet.

Lenovo roms like others can have a lot of bloatware that eats the battery change the ROM and you will probably see a big difference with standby.

If you don't want to change ROM then go into apps and force close, stop and disable any apps you don't use and review the battery settings also

Back