eBay Question

FINALLY after nearly a month since buying the item, got a full refund today from eBay! Thanks for all your help guys :Clap:

EXCELLENT NEWS MAS...christmas deffo came early for you mate what with that big win over LEVERKUSEN last night....you must be grinning like a cheshire cat...lol..
ll

I'm haveing some ebay issues I boght a tv in jan of this year it broke after 9 month I called lg who said its under warranty and they fixed got it back and same problem (just for a min then all was good), last week same problem call lg again they said its out of warranty by 2 weeks, this is my problem lg said they won't fix it under warranty as the tv was made in oct 2012 (1 year 9 days) untill I prove I bought it in jan I sent them the paypal invoice but they want the vat invoice, contacted ebay seller and he says its under his warranty but can't find the old listing for the tv or me but I have the invoice emails from ebay, paypal and delivery I'm not sure were I stand on this

Sent from my Xolo_X900 using Tapatalk 2

take a look at the 1979 sale of goods act casuk, (i think there is a sticky on DW somewhere) or here BBC One - Watchdog - Sale of goods Act 1979 (as amended)It states that your purchased goods must be fit for purpose, I think they give 4-6 years on modern T.V.'S.. but that is with the point of sale, in your case the ebay seller, although, LG guarantees their repair work, and as they have repaired it free of charge and the repair has failed again, is there an admittance of a known fault ????

dont let it go though.. we had a philips ambilight tv and the screen developed lines 2 years later and we got a brand new replacement upgraded tv due to a couple of letters quoting the 1979 sale of goods act and giving them 21 days to reply or threaten with legal action via your local trading standards....good luck..

@mas123 Glad to hear you got your money back, I hope you manage to get whatever item you were after in the first place for a reasonable price as well...............to make up for the worry this has caused you.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice to hear you got your money back pal, now head over to the classifieds on the forum and ill sort you out a good deal on that macbook pro you wanted at a fraction of the price, lol ;)

take a look at the 1979 sale of goods act casuk, (i think there is a sticky on DW somewhere) or here BBC One - Watchdog - Sale of goods Act 1979 (as amended)It states that your purchased goods must be fit for purpose, I think they give 4-6 years on modern T.V.'S.. but that is with the point of sale, in your case the ebay seller, although, LG guarantees their repair work, and as they have repaired it free of charge and the repair has failed again, is there an admittance of a known fault ????

dont let it go though.. we had a philips ambilight tv and the screen developed lines 2 years later and we got a brand new replacement upgraded tv due to a couple of letters quoting the 1979 sale of goods act and giving them 21 days to reply or threaten with legal action via your local trading standards....good luck..
thanks, lg have sent me a BER (beyond economic repair) letter for replacement and the seller has refused this because he says hes not a retailer they are a repair service so im still dealing through lg, hopeing they will just replace for another of same spec, I know im not in the wrong here and wish it would get sorted out quick

just dont let it go mate. keep on at them both and give them both 21 days to resolve the issue or take legal action...good luck matey and keep us informed...

I will do thanks

Sent from my Xolo_X900 using Tapatalk 2

thanks, lg have sent me a BER (beyond economic repair) letter for replacement and the seller has refused this because he says hes not a retailer they are a repair service so im still dealing through lg, hopeing they will just replace for another of same spec, I know im not in the wrong here and wish it would get sorted out quick
If they are on ebay trading as a business they are bound by Sale of Goods Act and Distance Selling Regs.
just dont let it go mate. keep on at them both and give them both 21 days to resolve the issue or take legal action...good luck matey and keep us informed...
Manufacturers have no responsibility to the consumer. It's the retailer that is bound by the Sale of Goods Act and the terms in the manufacturer's warranty.

If you buy from a private individual you're stuffed, as they have no responsibility under SOGA. Ebay refunds for "items not as described" on private sales are "in addition" to your statutory rights.

If they are on ebay trading as a business they are bound by Sale of Goods Act and Distance Selling Regs.

Wrong! Many parts of both Sale of Goods and Distance Selling are irrelevant if the sale is an auction. That's why they avoid the Buy it Now option.

Check these:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/ive-got-a-problem-with-something-i-bought-on-ebay/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Trading-standards-guide-for-eBay-UK-business-sellers-/10000000001927458/g.html

Last edited:
Wrong! Many parts of both Sale of Goods and Distance Selling are irrelevant if the sale is an auction. That's why they avoid the Buy it Now option.

Check these:

I've got a problem with something I bought on eBay - Which? Consumer Rights

Trading standards guide for eBay UK business sellers | eBay

casuk says he "bought" the TV, rather than "won" it. So it's not unfair to assume it was via BIN or best offer.

Anyway, apologies to casuk. I'd actually forgotten that auctions weren't covered, for the most part, by SOGA etc.

Back