eBay Question

So it's been 2 working days now and I was supposed to have my decision from eBay today regarding the case. I go to check the case status and get this: "Unfortunately, we need a little more time to make a decision. Please expect an email from us soon.". What a joke. What exactly do they need to investigate!? It's been nearly 2 weeks and I still haven't got my money back. What a bunch of jokers!

When they finally do refund you (which I am sure they will) they will likely send you a customer satisfaction questionnaire. DO take the time to answer it, you may not get a personal response, but hopefully the more people complain about the slowness of the process, the more they will sit up and listen. Don't expect miracles, but as @D 8 RCS says eBay has come a long way over the years and a lot of that will have been down to users' feedback.

Good luck with the refund M8.

Last edited by a moderator:
you may get the sort of reply i had 'heres a refund of about £1.86, this was all we could recover from the seller, if we recover any further funds we will forward them directly to you' after i was tucked up for about £60, and, i never saw any more from them

good luck m8

you may get the sort of reply i had 'heres a refund of about £1.86, this was all we could recover from the seller, if we recover any further funds we will forward them directly to you' after i was tucked up for about £60, and, i never saw any more from them

good luck m8

Ouch! hope not for the buyers sake! They plaster everywhere "we guarantee you your money back"

What a crock of sh*te

good luck m8

You have honestly scared me to death with that!! I do not trust PayPal one bit and that has just made it worse! On top of that I still have had no response from eBay and they are taking their bloody time. What I suspect has happened is the seller has withdraw the funds to a bank account so PayPal cant get hold of them. I just hope I get a reply from them soon... This is starting to get very serious and is pissing me off... I cannot afford to lose that much money...

it was about 2 years ago m8, and i complained like hell about whats the point in buyer protection etc if things like this are allowed to happen, and there is (was, maybe still is) some small print that says while they will do everything to refund you, if they cannot get the money back from the seller, then you may not get the money back

ill see if i can find the details they sent me

When buying big money items its best to take all precautionary actions. Better to keep your PayPal account funds empty and register/assign a credit card as an alternative form of payment. That way the purchase is from your card and you should still be covered by the additional protection this type of card gives when things go wrong.

I think it may have changed digi mate
PayPal accounts automatically top up any shortfall from a bank account or credit card.
If a payment is reversed, PayPal will collect the money.

I think it may have changed digi mate
PayPal accounts automatically top up any shortfall from a bank account or credit card.
If a payment is reversed, PayPal will collect the money.

yep, but, as a seller, if you get a big sale like that, withdraw the funds to bank account (2 hours) then cancel direct debit (via online banking, instant) and cancel the card associated with paypal account (via paypal, instant), and paypal then have no means of getting any money back from you

When buying big money items its best to take all precautionary actions. Better to keep your PayPal account funds empty and register/assign a credit card as an alternative form of payment. That way the purchase is from your card and you should still be covered by the additional protection this type of card gives when things go wrong.
If you've a PayPal account, Section 75 provides no protection for credit card purchases via PayPal. The reason being PayPal actually credits your account at a 1:1 ratio, it's this credit that is then used to purchase the item(s). PayPal is set up this way to protect themselves from Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, and comparative laws in other countries, however it also means the credit card company has no responsibility either.

That being said, sometimes a claw back can be requested. Be warned though, PayPal are likely to close the buyers account if the claw back is successful.

If you don't have a PayPal account, it looks as though you can sometimes pay via card and retain Section 75 cover. Seemingly, for those of us who are already signed up to PayPal, you only need a credit card and email address that have never registered to PayPal to enjoy this protection. However, accepting payments in this way is optional.

why is the world and ebay full of scammers. if its not dodgy sellers its now people claiming refunds through their credit cards. ive been stung like that, I really hope u get sorted mate.

First, @mas123, really do hope you get your refund.

Contrary to popular belief, Paypal doesn't insure your loss, you do. Paypal may go up to £500 depending on item etc. If the seller does a variation of 'bait and switch' (mentioned before - make the sale, take the cash then close Paypal funding) you could well be left with the loss. This is common on consumer electronics and several groups are operating this scam in the UK currently.

For this reason I would be grateful for a PM with the seller's Ebay ID so I could have a nose around.

You should also check out this - PAYPAL BUYER PROTECTION: Beware of section 13.13 excuse | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly the only thing that can reliably said about Paypal is that they completely lack any form of logic. I honestly do not know where they find their decision-makers (if they have any- perhaps it's all done by the toss of a coin) because common sense appears to take a back seat. OK, for the millions of transactions that go through smoothly every day it's fine and handy, but as soon as there is a problem they seem unable (or unwilling?) to cope. Probably too Americanized.

First, @mas123, really do hope you get your refund.

Contrary to popular belief, Paypal doesn't insure your loss, you do. Paypal may go up to £500 depending on item etc. If the seller does a variation of 'bait and switch' (mentioned before - make the sale, take the cash then close Paypal funding) you could well be left with the loss. This is common on consumer electronics and several groups are operating this scam in the UK currently.

For this reason I would be grateful for a PM with the seller's Ebay ID so I could have a nose around.

You should also check out this - PAYPAL BUYER PROTECTION: Beware of section 13.13 excuse | eBay

Paypal doesn't insure your loss? I think that is absolutely shocking, considering the amount of commission they take. Talk about easy money!
What a shower of #ankers . (Bankers?)

Paypal doesn't insure your loss? I think that is absolutely shocking, considering the amount of commission they take. Talk about easy money!
What a shower of #ankers . (Bankers?)

I didn't want to put the sh!ts up mas but it's as well members know. For a few years at least two groups have been operating in the UK, primarily in Birmingham and Devon/Cornwall. They mostly deal in consumer electronics but stray into other high value items from time to time.

They used to work Gumtree and local ads but people got wise so now they exploit the Ebay/Paypal loopholes. Consequently, I would advise buying high-value items from Ebay only if you can collect or the seller is 'branded' i.e. Argos etc.

It's sad but I can't advise otherwise.

Better late than never... glad it worked out for you.... :grayyawn: eventually!

Excellent! Good result M8. Now people, just remember Apple stuff on Ebay, check it out before buying :)

Sweet! What good news! Id personally message the seller saying hahahahahahaha I got my money back off you gutted! Lol

Back