2nd Stage Bootloader - I'm confused.

M3NTAL

Banned
Reaction score
My DM800SE has just arrived and I want to install the latest Nabilosat image. I've read a few different forums and afaics I need to upgade my 2nd stage bootloader before I can update to the new firmware - is this true?

How do i find out what boot loader I have on my machine, all I know is that it has Sim2.10

Im using SSL82 but I think you can use SSL84 and I think I see SSL84a

flash the image dont reboot open new url and flash the SSL then reboot and you ready to go

:)
That came quick didnt it :)

Last edited:
It should show the bootloader number on the front OLED when the reciever boots up. Doesnt particularly matter anyway, just flash the latest SSL84a via web browserafter you flash the image you want BEFORE rebooting.

Thanks guys.

Yes Rat it was quick. I only ordered it late last Wednesday evening, they don't hang around over in china do they, lol.

This is probably a silly question, but where do I find the 84a bootloader?

I've found a few 84a images but where is the ssl?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

It's in the downloads part of this section under images if I remember rightly :)

Sent from my iPhone

It's in the downloads section. See HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
What image are you using John?

I'm spolied for choice, lol

1 more question, since I'm now on SSL84a, can I use images with older bootloaders, are they backwards compatible?

Last edited:
DBUK
its ok now ive got it set up to how I like it

DBUK
its ok now ive got it set up to how I like it

Any reason why you haven't updated to SSL84 or is DBUK only available with SSL82 at the moment?

1 more question, since I'm now on SSL84a, can I use images with older bootloaders, are they backwards compatible?

tbh I just havent updated yet mate
Im just enjoying a fully working box lol
maybe gsmtech or wizz will know the answers to that mate as Im really not sure how it works myself tbh lol

Any reason why you haven't updated to SSL84 or is DBUK only available with SSL82 at the moment?

You can always just flash the SSL84a after you have flashed the image in question and it will update your bootloader regardless of what comes with the image,in fact there is a ssl84a ipk file that you can use to update the bootloader if you already have a image running earlier versions of ssl

Last edited:
so although I have the DBUK image just how I like it, I already have SSL82 on
I can just flash the new SSL84a over the top of SSL82 without loosing the set up I have now ?

I would of thought id have to do a compleate relash of both images tbh :)

so although I have the DBUK image just how I like it, I already have SSL82 on
I can just flash the new SSL84a over the top of SSL82 without loosing the set up I have now ?

I would of thought id have to do a compleate relash of both images tbh :)

I used the ipk file to do mine m8,worked fine :)

Goto TS Panel-addons-Sim 201 addons-Sim2 secondstage-third option down ;)

Last edited:
So basically we can upgrade our bootloaders from the TSMenu and it won't damage our exising image? Then if we wanted to install an image with with the newer SSL we wouldn't need to repatch the SSL as it would have already been done?

So basically we can upgrade our bootloaders from the TSMenu and it won't damage our exising image? Then if we wanted to install an image with with the newer SSL we wouldn't need to repatch the SSL as it would have already been done?

Yes, you can just switch off the box switch back on with front power held down to get to ***STOP*** mode then flash the new SSL file. It will just upgrade the bootloader wont touch your image or settings etc.
There is no benefit from upgrading to SSL84 or 84a if your running DBUK image. SSL84 and 84a specifically bring support for the latest original Dream drivers. DBUK image is still using old drivers so there is no benefit of SSL84.
It wont to any harm though, I upgraded to SSL84 with DBUK just to have a play, you get a funky SIM2 colour logo on the OLED on bootup. If you want new drivers with a OpenPLI image that can take benefit of SSL84 use the latest gjstroom build of OpenPLI 've put it in downloads its already got SSL84 integrated, you can upgrade to 84a if you want.

I used the ipk file to do mine m8,worked fine :)

Goto TS Panel-addons-Sim 201 addons-Sim2 secondstage-third option down ;)

What happen is if I refresh the 2nd stage SSL to the wrong plateform( I have DM800C but accidently refreshed it with DM500HD. Is that anystep to redo it. I did it last night and get error NO CA FOUND after device shutdown and reboot.

I know it's been a long day at work, am i reading this correctly?

[Rat] Dream 800SE > flash the image dont reboot open new url and flash the SSL then reboot and you ready to go

[Wiz] Dream 800HD > flash the new ssl84a and reboot the box then flash the image through the web interface as normal, if you are sure the image contains the new bootloader then reboot,if not sure flash the ssl84a again.....

Back