No good time to upgrade.

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Started building a new gaming pc middle of October. The one I have now was one I built around 6 years ago, still a cracking setup but it's ran it's course. I ordered a whole host of parts from Scan and got started.
My only stumbling blocks were the power supply and the graphics card, both of which I had to pre-order The power supply has since arrived but I'm still in the queue for my RTX 3090.

My system has been built round a Z490 Gaming motherboard and an i9 10850k processor. Only thing is the Z590 motherboards have now been released. I would definitely have opted for that one because of the generation 4 PCIe. Of course that would also require an 11th gen cpu as well. I have a 1TB and a 2TB M.2 NVMe's which could have benefitted from that.

Don't get me wrong. My system is still fairly kickass but here I am 4 months down the line and have yet to give it it's 1st boot up due to the graphics cards fiasco. I receive an update email every Friday to inform me of my position in the queue. I was number 30 on the 15th January, the week after I was number 13 and am still number 13.

I know I could take the GTX970 from this pc just to get windows installed on my new one or to even run it temporarily. Just doesn't seem right to be honest.

Anyone else stuck in a queue for a graphics card? Was also seriously considering the HP Reverb G2 VR headset, again it was a pre-order item. By the time I finally convinced myself to order it was no longer available for pre-order.

I know that these are different times due to Covid 19 but these issues are more down to releasing the products without 1st building some sort of sustainable supply. It happened again with Microsoft and Sony with their latest consoles. I would willingly pull the trigger on these eBay scalpers.

Bloody hell, perhaps I should have posted this in the Rant Room. 🤣

I think the last video card I bought for my new build was an Nvidia geforce 3 for my Pentium 4 about 17 years ago. I have never bought new since.

I hope you get your card soon @chookey.

I gave up on the 3090...they are like rocking horse shit...
I saw the 3080 in Currys at a good price...anything between £750 to £900 so i thought i would just get 1 of those.
But that was a no go to...completely out of stock.
By the way @chookey ... 13 is unlucky 😶.... but i hope the queue goes down fast for you.
It sounds like its going to be 1 hell of a machine..

I gave up on the 3090...they are like rocking horse shit...
I saw the 3080 in Currys at a good price...anything between £750 to £900 so i thought i would just get 1 of those.
But that was a no go to...completely out of stock.
By the way @chookey ... 13 is unlucky 😶.... but i hope the queue goes down fast for you.
It sounds like its going to be 1 hell of a machine..
The 3080 would probably have done me to be honest but I'm thinking this is going to be my last build. The Asus GeForce RTX 3090 TUF Gaming card came up for pre-order on Overclockers so I jumped at it. I'm actually hoping that my next email will be to say that it's being shipped.

@sneaker mentioned the Pentium 486. I remember going into Dixons to buy a laptop in 1996. Top of the range Pentium 486, probably only about 256mb and I can't remember the hard drive size. Cost me nearly £1100. It was slow as fook but probably didn't matter so much at that time. Reckon they tried to talk me into the extended warranty. They wanted about an extra £300, I declined. 🤣

@sneaker mentioned the Pentium 486. I remember going into Dixons to buy a laptop in 1996. Top of the range Pentium 486, probably only about 256mb and I can't remember the hard drive size. Cost me nearly £1100. It was slow as fook but probably didn't matter so much at that time. Reckon they tried to talk me into the extended warranty. They wanted about an extra £300, I declined. 🤣

I can remember playing microprose f1 on my p166 and I thought the graphics were the dogs danglies. Why we need such expensive gc these days baffles me. What's wrong with pac man. :)

I can remember playing microprose f1 on my p166 and I thought the graphics were the dogs danglies. Why we need such expensive gc these days baffles me. What's wrong with pac man. :)
Oh to be able to go back in time and relive the joys of downloading a movie in a mere 3 days. The soothing beeps and screeches that emanated from the dial-up modem were great to get the baby to sleep. You could also make a bit of money on the side by burning program discs for friends and family, provided of course that you could afford nearly a grand for a cd writer, lol.

You could also make a bit of money on the side by burning program discs for friends and family, provided of course that you could afford nearly a grand for a cd writer, lol.
I made loads back in the day burning musis cd's.
Ive still got everything i downloaded including all the dodgy / fake mp3's from Limewire 😁

I'm friendly with a colleague who used to run the "software club", I remember chipping in for some of the disks in an earlier job. I have the last catalogue, plenty of nostalgia in there.

Don't get me wrong. My system is still fairly kickass but here I am 4 months down the line and have yet to give it it's 1st boot up due to the graphics cards fiasco. I receive an update email every Friday to inform me of my position in the queue. I was number 30 on the 15th January, the week after I was number 13 and am still number 13.
Well here we are a month later and my queue position changed to 12 3 weeks ago and todays update email states that I am still number 12 in the queue. A little disheartening to say the least.
By the time I get this GPU and fire my new build up some of those brand new components will likely be out of warranty.

graphics cards are ridiculous to get at the moment. scalpers and crypto mining taking them up. cant we get any scalping bot here ;)

I'm beside myself with anticipation. My update email yesterday shows I have moved up from 12th in the queue to a mind blowing 11th!!!!
My weekly update email has just informed me I'm 9th in the queue. Very slow process but starting to get there. I started at number 51 in the queue 4 months ago.
Wonder how many of the 42 before mine have found their way onto eBay?

My weekly update email has just informed me I'm 9th in the queue. Very slow process but starting to get there. I started at number 51 in the queue 4 months ago.
Wonder how many of the 42 before mine have found their way onto eBay?
You must have some patience @chookey, this would do my head in.

You must have some patience @chookey, this would do my head in.
Replacing gears, pulleys, idler wheels and tension springs on video recorders all those glorious years ago, patience was a given 🤣
There is no sign of these supply issues improving any time soon. PS5, Xbox X, Flight sim controls due to Microsoft Flight Sim 2020, the whole RTX range just to name a few.
One greedy bastard on my local Gumtree has a 3060Ti, a 3070 and a 3080 all up for sale. All in hand. His listings state that he will supply the original receipt for warranty purposes. How sick would anyone feel to be looking at the original price when they have just paid around double for it?

By the time I drop my 3090 into my new build, I will likely have lost 6 months of my warranty. Might have a play with it tomorrow to see if I can drop windows 7 on it prior to a clean install of windows 10 pro.
Just had a little look at it to see how much work I need to do to prepare it and it seems I need a small screw to secure one of my m,2 drives.

I did have a 500gb in the top slot but put it in a mate's desktop as part of an upgrade. I replaced that one with a 1tb drive but used my screw in his machine 😭IMG_1341.JPG

the dominator ram is kick ass have a 64 gb kit installed running at 4000 mhz

Back