Totally New to Newsgroups

Dont have newsleecher installed at the moment, but im almost certain it was available the last time i tried it.

Give me 2 mins to install it and i'll let you know.

Edit: Have a look under options / repair 'n' extract, these seem to be the settings you will need.

Last edited:
Thanks lorrebreaker. I did have a look after I posted to check whether or not I woz losing my mind. I didnt have the auto-unrar checked, so that's ticked now.

cheers

LOL sorry mate. WOz just saying their terms and conditions restricted users from uploading MS OS :)

Try nzb r us or nzb-dogz both very good sites for getting all that you need..well apart from smut lol

Cheers manse

Wanted to know why part of a nzb is paused when I import it. Was checking settings and it pauses par2 files.

Thing is, there is a single par2 file which downloads and the rest of te part 2 files which are split over many par 2 files are paused and dont download.

Should I remove the checkbox to make sure all par2 files download?

Nope dont do that.
Alt-binz pauses all par files except the first one, if it needs to repair your download then it will automatically un-pause some of the other pars.

All its doing is downloading exactly what it needs to make sure your download is ok. If after alt-binz finishes downloading you find your download incomplete (which is rare) then you right click the paused pars and unpause them. But you normally wont need to do that.

Last edited:
Nope dont do that.
Alt-binz pauses all par files except the first one, if it needs to repair your download then it will automatically un-pause some of the other pars.

All its doing is downloading exactly what it needs to make sure your download is ok. If after alt-binz finishes downloading you find your download incomplete (which is rare) then you right click the paused pars and unpause them. But you normally wont need to do that.
Cheers m8

How would I know if my file is incomplete? Wouldn't it fail the PAR2 test and download the rest by itself?

Cheers m8

How would I know if my file is incomplete? Wouldn't it fail the PAR2 test and download the rest by itself?

when you try and unrar it, it will say need parts 42 for e.g. if all is ok it will unrar

i still do the par files manually, then i no for certain, only takes a minute to do

when you try and unrar it, it will say need parts 42 for e.g. if all is ok it will unrar

i still do the par files manually, then i no for certain, only takes a minute to do
In other words, get quickpar, unpause the rest of the PAR files and check the archive(s) manually?

In other words, get quickpar, unpause the rest of the PAR files and check the archive(s) manually?
its your option mate, i always do it manually like i said to make sure everyhthing is there, if all is well it will only take a minute or two.

all you do is double click a par file and away it goes.

Cheers m8

To be honest the only time alt-binz hasnt auto unrar'd a download for me is if the archive as been password protected. You can do it manually, i used to do that myself but now because i mostly download overnight i just leave altbinz to do its thing then next morning its all extracted and ready to burn.

Both ways will work though.

One of the nZB's was was incomplete, but it didn't unpause the rest of the PAR files to auto unrar it. So I had to unpause the manually and even then when I clicked unrar par2 files, it gave a cross in Alt.binz.

So i got quickpar and did it manually.

Thanks for the help guys :)

I dunno wot i'm complaining about. this speed is 5-10x faster than what I been getting with torrents!

So how does newzbin differ to NZBMatrix?

Hopefully i can enlighten you
With torrents it was all about the seeds
In other words always not getting the last bit
It wont happen now your on newsgroups
Next your on vermin so got capped
Capping times are 4pm-midnight weekdays
10am-midnight weekends (if mem serves)
Lastly did you know you can have free news form vermin
not as many servers and about 150 days retention but free

news.virginmedia.com

Hopefully i can enlighten you
With torrents it was all about the seeds
In other words always not getting the last bit
It wont happen now your on newsgroups
Next your on vermin so got capped
Capping times are 4pm-midnight weekdays
10am-midnight weekends (if mem serves)
Lastly did you know you can have free news form vermin
not as many servers and about 150 days retention but free

news.virginmedia.com
Thanks for that reply mate, but I wasn't complaining about my speeds...was praising the speeds, even though it was about 300 kB/s, it was still much faster than torrents.

Yeah I get ya about the seeds, and I bin reading a lot about newsgroups and know that the articles are stored on news servers all around the world :)

Yeah I looked into VM, but I wanted some results right away. But thanks for their retention info, might look into it. I don't need to use Outlook do I then, right? I can just configure my newsreader.

Btw, that post I was asking about the difference between newzbin and nzbmatrix.

Yeah I looked into VM, but I wanted some results right away. But thanks for their retention info, might look into it. I don't need to use Outlook do I then, right? I can just configure my newsreader.

Yep you dont use outlook, just stick virgin medias address into your server setup in altbinz.

newzbin seems to be the more popular site but u have to pay to be a member while and be invited. nzbmatrix is free for new files but anything over 20 days u need to be a VIP (one off fee) i currently only use nzbmatrix but will probably get into newzbin soon as i can.

i prefer Grabit as my reader but had problems getting the SSL to work with Astraweb. However, i like how u can manage your server connections better - it's much more pleasing on the eye than alt.binz. Newsbin Pro and NewsReactor are also good readers - but not free.

the virmin newsgroups aren't bad if u can find what u want. good to try out for free!

Back