Totally New to Newsgroups

Gotcha

I got the VIP membership and clicked on downlaod nzb, chrome started downloading it and I think it was downloading the actual files because the downloaded amount was going up and up past 1MB so i cancelled it!

When you click download NZB, it should download the NZB file to open in a newsreader right?

on nzb matrix, you have the choice to start downloading in your newsreader straight away or you can save it to your desktop to start it another day.

depending what site your on may be different.

is chrome like a torrent downloader?

Cheers mate. Yeah I edited my post coz I reliased that the NZB was 2.5MB!

I used the Europe server Astraweb gave me but it wasn't SSL. When I clicked the SSL box in my reader, it gave a portnumber that wasn't in the list given by Astraweb.

Am I safe?

OHH MAN, my speed just went down to 250 kB/s! This must be because the download isn't encrypted. How do I get SSL on Astraweb?

Cheers mate. Yeah I edited my post coz I reliased that the NZB was 2.5MB!

I used the Europe server Astraweb gave me but it wasn't SSL. When I clicked the SSL box in my reader, it gave a portnumber that wasn't in the list given by Astraweb.

Am I safe?

i think i had the same problem but if you open up your astra web account it should give you another port number i think.

look for the secure server ones and use the ssl eu one, under the option you chose, and it will only have two port numbers, use the 2nd one. dont forget to put the secure server address in aswell

i think i had the same problem but if you open up your astra web account it should give you another port number i think.

look for the secure server ones and use the ssl eu one, under the option you chose, and it will only have two port numbers, use the 2nd one. dont forget to put the secure server address in aswell
I only used the server and ports it gave me after paying. When I went into the members area, it gave me a full list of the servers and ssl servers and ssl ports.

What is this "Select group" and "article cmd" all about?

I think I am being traffic shaped because the speed is still 250 kB/s

go here and log in, news.astraweb.com - Signup with us

once logged in you will see you account details in right hand side, go down a bit to setup instructions and the ssl option should be there with a few others.

wheres the select group etc?
Sorry mate, I meant to say I found the list of SSL. Thanks.

This cmd and group is in my server configuration in Alt.Binz.

why dont you upgrade to xxl(50meg) line mate, they dont throttle 50meg but a bit expensive...

So when my download finishes, I gotta use a seperate program to open the PAR files and check the RAR's for any missing blocks.

I thought Alt.Binz had some sort of PAR thing built in.

So what do I do, just open them all in one go and it will analyse the folder and notify me of corrupt blocks/files?

So when my download finishes, I gotta use a seperate program to open the PAR files and check the RAR's for any missing blocks.

So what do I do, just open them all in one go and it will analyse the folder and notify me of corrupt blocks/files?

got to where the download saved, double click a par folder, quickpar will open and go through the stages, once complete unrar

It does
In your altbinz settings make sure "Par2 Checking" & "Par2 Repairing" is checked.
Also check "auto unrar"

That way it should check the download itself and unrar it.

Back