The official model number of Technomate's Linux HD: TM-800 HD & optional WiFi!

As per previous posts, my opinion still the same as that tm800hd is sounding more and more like a ghost reciever. Now with increased price and no guaranties at all about functionality

with it being a linux based machine, id imagine the firmware could easily be updated

with it being a linux based machine, id imagine the firmware could easily be updated

Well maytbe this is the point at which we find out just how open their open source box really is.

Well maytbe this is the point at which we find out just how open their open source box really is.

Depends which teams they get onbaord to support...if the big recognised teams get onboard, like Gemini, PLI, EDG Nemesis etc...they might be onto a winner.

If they get stuck with bogstandard ITgate URTeam Hypercam crew...it's not looking promising...The price increase is a big turn-off as well 250 quid...

Why all the negativity towards this box all of a sudden, sure its an extra £50 on top of the orginal asking price, but who has never paid a premium for a new product? Decent Plasma TV's were over £3000 for a 42" TV and now you can pick one up for just over £400. There aren't that many Linux based HD receivers around with this price point and the ones that do exist rely on existing images for the Dreambox, which is an established brand. I'm sure the Dreambox had a similar level of support in it's infancy. The more people who buy these boxes, the more people will write new images for them. Don't kill it off before it has even hit the shelves at least it offers people an alternative to the Dreambox which this receiver is clearly a competitor to. So let's not have any more negativity on the price or the support. The TM500/600's are far more stable then their Dreambox rivals and cheaper too. So come on guys stick your hands in your pockets and get one ordered before we all end up buying clone 800's from China then spend all day complaining about the problems with Discovery HD.

Regards

Liam

Why all the negativity towards this box all of a sudden, sure its an extra £50 on top of the orginal asking price, but who has never paid a premium for a new product? Decent Plasma TV's were over £3000 for a 42" TV and now you can pick one up for just over £400. There aren't that many Linux based HD receivers around with this price point and the ones that do exist rely on existing images for the Dreambox, which is an established brand. I'm sure the Dreambox had a similar level of support in it's infancy. The more people who buy these boxes, the more people will write new images for them. Don't kill it off before it has even hit the shelves at least it offers people an alternative to the Dreambox which this receiver is clearly a competitor to. So let's not have any more negativity on the price or the support. The TM500/600's are far more stable then their Dreambox rivals and cheaper too. So come on guys stick your hands in your pockets and get one ordered before we all end up buying clone 800's from China then spend all day complaining about the problems with Discovery HD.

Regards

Liam

Plasma's were £3000 grand when they first came out and I don't know about you but I didn't buy one.
£200 to me is a lot of money to spend on a satellite box but I was willing to take a punt .....The price has gone up £250 now and we've still not got a release date,an image for it , just some pictures of it.
I've really wanted the tm800 to go boom and put the tm at front of the market, I'm more than happy with my tm600 and hoped the tm800 would be a very nice upgrade.

I don't want to sound negative as I've followed this thread daily for updates on release dates, but £250 .....delayed release dates .....what are technomate doing for fooks sake .

Hando

Regards

Liam

Do you really believe that? That's the problem with itgate and technomate linux receivers, they build a nice receiver with good hardware, and then expect that their clients work for them, and make the software for it.

Do you really believe that Gemini, Pli, EDG, Nabilo (now Dream Elite), Oozoon and others, work for free? Do you think that the firmwares dreambox receivers have, are made by users like you and me? They are made by very well paid coders.

If itgate and technomate wants to have a good software running in their receivers, they have to hire good coders, like they did once with TM9100 supported by EDG-Nemesis team.

People have to realise that being open-source isn't enough, because there are many linux open-source receivers with crapy firmwares, Dream Multimedia spends a lot of money with firmware and emu teams every year. Don't be naive.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Last edited:
the main question is dose it take a dm800 image.... eg: PLI, if not your better of with a clone.

Regards

Liam

You got be kidding mate hwen you say that.

TM800HD will never be an alternative for Dreamboxes. Others Boxes are around already with proven stable released firmwares that are real alternative.

Coolstream and most of all VU+duo are the one to go for.

But for the price that technomate ghost is meant to be released for, there are about half a dozen already around with much better support and fan base :proud:

Get me a name of a proper team who is going to build images for this and i might change my mind. UR team does not count as they proved with previous models they are not up there with the likes of proper ones.

This all, if and when that box comes out :Bounce:

Theres a lot of negativity going on here. If the box does what it is supposed to and in HD what more do you want. C/S seems to have been sorted with the last UR release. For me I want to watch TV rather than mess about with a box and it's images, if the TM 800 HD allows me to do this I will buy it , if there is something cheaper out there that allows me to do it , I will buy that.

Theres a lot of negativity going on here. If the box does what it is supposed to and in HD what more do you want. C/S seems to have been sorted with the last UR release. For me I want to watch TV rather than mess about with a box and it's images, if the TM 800 HD allows me to do this I will buy it , if there is something cheaper out there that allows me to do it , I will buy that.

my living room is a DM800, since the day i bought it (when it was released) ive only updated it once, since that update, theres been god knows how many minor updates, half a dozen complete image updates, updates for god knows how many of the plugins that were pre installed, and ive not bothered with any of them

Because as it is, it works, and does what i want it to, the same as my TM500, thats running on an image so old, it needs a different remote to the ones you all use, again, its not been updated, because it works

I do like to have the latest thing to play with, but learned the hard way, more than once, that if your main receiver is the one you constantly update, youll spend more time messing with it than watching it, and when you have a missus and kids who want to watch it, that dont go down well, especially when the 30 second update just before xfactor starts takes 4 hours to fix lol

the TM800 has been 'coming soon' since last june, a lot of people have allocated savings, and put off buying other equipment, based on releases that keep being moved, then a 25% price hike added to it at the eleventh hour for some people is just too much, then that was quickly followed by an official announcement of another 15 day (half a month) delay

As a hobbyist, ive owned EVERY model of technomate receiver since the launch of the TM5500CIP, as well as every dreambox except the 500HD and DM8000, a grand is just too much, since the launch of the DM500. As well as a shed load of other receivers from triax, protek, nano, lemon, M-vision, clones, clones of clones, and whatever else has caught my interest.

I personally will be getting a TM800, and if its as solid as the TM500/600, will possibly get 2, one for my main viewing to replace my DM800, and one to play with

As long as it works though, it will have done its job for most people

well said digi.
and yes tm will need to cough up some money for decent coders, there certainly is no such thing a free meal.

as far as i am concerned, if this box is not here by the time cable goes off in my area, i will be going with the vu+
could anybody kindly point me in the direction of the bulk buy thread.

Regards,
CrazyFool/

if your main receiver is the one you constantly update, youll spend more time messing with it than watching it, and when you have a missus and kids who want to watch it, that dont go down well, especially when the 30 second update just before xfactor starts takes 4 hours to fix lol

PMSL, well said mate.

I've lost count of the number of times I've told the wife "I'll just be a minute, I *NEED* to do something", the next thing I know it's 11pm, the wife and kids are in bed and I'm still doing my 'quick update'. :)

I love it. ;)

However, this time I'll be keeping my DM500 and using that as my experiment machine and either the Vu Duo, DM800 and possibly the TM800 will be the main machine for the family.

Last edited:
the only people that have made $hit loads of money from Linux receivers are dream multimedia and the clone makers. you cant by dream multimedia , so make a clone.
look at reel multimedia probably the best receiver ever made but the software sucks. now if REEL ported a image from the dm8000 including there drivers it would be the best receiver bar none.
so take the firmware add your drivers and make loads of money TM..

Last edited:
the only people that have made $hit loads of money from Linux receivers are dream multimedia and the clone makers. you cant by dream multimedia , so make a clone.
look at reel multimedia probably the best receiver ever made but the software sucks. now if REEL ported a image from the dm8000 including there drivers it would be the best receiver bar none.
so take the firmware add your drivers and make loads of money TM..

you ought to be prime minister ;)

on track with the tm800hd though,
what is this 'optional wifi' ???

will it be the same as the vu+ duo where you have to insert a usb wireless adaptor?

if this is the case will it actually be implemented in the software because theorteically speaking, the hardware is present within the tm600 but ur team have not implemented it into any of their firmware.

Regards,
CrazyFool

Back