The first new satellite for UK TV in a decade has started work at 28.2 degrees East

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Astra 1N was launched on August 6, and has become operational after several months of in-orbit testing.

The Astrium-built satellite is already being used by ITV and Channel 4, taking advantage of the extra spot beam transponders it brings to the UK and Ireland.

Based on the Eurostar 3000 platform, Astra 1N had a launch mass of 5,350kg and is equipped with 52 Ku-band transponders from three antennas - two fixed at 2.6m and one steerable 1.3m antenna.

As well as direct-to-home TV channels, Astra 1N will also increase support for the Astra2Connect high speed satellite broadband service, particularly allowing simplified TV-and-broadband connections from the UK and Ireland

It is expected to remain on-station at 28E until the new Astra 2F, 2E and 2G satellites begin to arrive in late 2012.

These satellites will also have Ka-band transponders to increase the speed and capacity of satellite internet services.

The last satellite to launch to 28 degrees East was Eutelsat's Eurobird 1, in August 2001.

Alex Lane - Tue, 25/10/2011

Re: The first new satellite for UK TV in a decade has started work at 28.2 degrees Ea

this is meand to be a big thing for broadband via satellite, but, if it uses the same astra2connect systems as their existing 'beyonDSL' then i already dont like

from an installer side of things, its complete garbage, tooway is a far superior system

Re: The first new satellite for UK TV in a decade has started work at 28.2 degrees Ea

Interesting digi, tooway is here in Ireland but anyone that I knew had it has got rid as soon as contract expired, saying it was sh1te. I had heard about a new broadband service becoming operational from 28.2 thats gonna be usable with an existing sat dish just change of lnb, I would like some more info on this from an installers point of view.
;-)

Back