Astra2e launch date

mdt

Inactive User
Reaction score
The Astra 2E satellite will be launched on a Proton M launch vehicle from the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan, on July 19.

International Launch Services (ILS) is providing the launch services.

The Astra 2E was bulit by Astrium on a Eurostar E3000 platform, the latest version of Astrium’s Eurostar series. The design life of the satellite is 15 years.

Astra 2E, along with Astra 2F (launched last September) and the yet-to be launched Astra 2G, will serve to deliver next generation broadcast, VSAT and broadband services in Europe and Africa, and will carry Ku-and Ka-band payloads at 28.2 degrees East.

regards mdt

Last edited:
Astra 2E arrives in Baikonur
June 18, 2013 08.31 Europe/London By Robert Briel

Eleven days after the successful launch of the SES-6 satellite on board an ILS Proton booster, SES has announce that the Astra 2E satellite has safely arrived at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.

The spacecraft will now be processed for a July 21st launch (local time Baikonur) on board a Proton launch vehicle.

Astra 2E was built for SES by Astrium of France. Based on the highly reliable Eurostar E3000 platform, the spacecraft will carry 60 Ku-band transponders, as well as 3 wideband Ka-band transponders. It will enable the delivery of next generation broadcast and broadband services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa at the neighborhood of 28.2° East.

Astra 2E will have a launch mass of 6 tonnes, a wingspan of 40m once its solar arrays are deployed in orbit, and a spacecraft power of 13kW at the end of its 15-year design lifetime.

Astra 2E will be the seventh Eurostar satellite in the SES fleet, following the successful launch of SES-6 in June 2013 and Astra 2F in September 2012.

regards mdt

ILS and Roscosmos now finally agreeing it will launch on 17 Sept. Which may be late on 16th here, as Baikonur is GMT + 8.

Is @Napster running a book on a successful launch? LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like another delay to the beleaguered 2E... one report blames the Kazakh authorities being unhappy that the area hasn't yet been 'detoxified' from the failed July 2 launch, another cites 'technical problems' with the Proton launch vehicle.

Latest delay estimated at 2 weeks. :yawn:

does this mean that i may be able to get FTA 28.2 on a 75cm dish it italia??

cheers

does this mean that i may be able to get FTA 28.2 on a 75cm dish it italia??

cheers

astra2e is supposed to have the same uk/europe beams as 2f so this is what you are looking at but the bbc/itv/c4 channels will be on the uk spot. regards mdt

Attachments

• astra2efg-pe.jpg
    astra2efg-pe.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 5
  • astra2efg-ukspot.jpg
    astra2efg-ukspot.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
cheers mdt,

that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.. think i'm overtired ha ha.... so itv etc will be out of reach?

Tam

cheers mdt,

that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.. think i'm overtired ha ha.... so itv etc will be out of reach?

Tam

basically yes unless you have jodrell bank installed in your garden,regards mdt

Looks like she's reaching her temporary parking slot- N2YO has her at 41° so not far to go before testing starts. :thumbsup:

@Zorch- I trust you will have your trusty fibo aimed at 43.5° on Wednesday? :salute:

@trevortron

@Zorch- I trust you will have your trusty fibo aimed at 43.5° on Wednesday? :salute:

They really couldn't have picked a worse slot for testing... smack bang in the middle of two really powerful satellites with only 1.5° clearance on either side... should be interesting...

Turksat 2A/3A at 42.0°E
Astra 2E at 43.5°E
Intelsat 12 at 45.0°E

Turksat 2A/3A uses the whole of the Ku Band and Intelsat 12 uses around half of the Ku Band... so perhaps they'll be performing their tests on transponder frequencies currently used on the East Beam of Turksat 2A/3A ...and then only in the part/s of the Ku Band that Intelsat 12 doesn't use either... if that makes any sense...

Roll on Wednesday... lol

Best Wishes,
Zorch

@trevortron

They really couldn't have picked a worse slot for testing... smack bang in the middle of two really powerful satellites with only 1.5° clearance on either side... should be interesting...

Turksat 2A/3A at 42.0°E
Astra 2E at 43.5°E
Intelsat 12 at 45.0°E

Turksat 2A/3A uses the whole of the Ku Band and Intelsat 12 uses around half of the Ku Band... so perhaps they'll be performing their tests on transponder frequencies currently used on the East Beam of Turksat 2A/3A ...and then only in the part/s of the Ku Band that Intelsat 12 doesn't use either... if that makes any sense...

Roll on Wednesday... lol

Best Wishes,
Zorch

they will probably run pal carriers for test anyway as thats what they usually do,regards mdt

they will probably run pal carriers for test anyway as thats what they usually do,regards mdt

Sod's law! I have just dumped my last analogue receiver!! Boot sale this Sunday I guess.....

Sod's law! I have just dumped my last analogue receiver!! Boot sale this Sunday I guess.....

im only going off previous info posted on @flysat ect and satellites forum but they seem to use blank pal carriers just to test the transponders but you never know they could uplink a digital test card or promo loop ect. just a case of wait and see,regards mdt

Back