Technomate 5402 No signal on many channels - please help

atruvelo

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,
I just received a technomate 5402 receiver and have hooked it up to my sky dish using the standard sky quad lnb. Its all working OK except there are a large number of channels where I get "No or bad signals", especially on the 12.167V 29.500. It is largely the HD channels that I dont get

I have switched various cables from the dish and no difference. The strange thing is that I do get the channels on my sky box which is connected to the same dish!

Can anyone suggest what the fault might be? am thinking of realigning my dish, but that wouldnt explain why I can see certain channels on my Sky Box, but not on my technomate! It is also not a subscirotion issue - the signal level on the channels I cant see is only 9-10%

many thanks

I dont think you have a fault, your other receiver must have a valid subscription whereas your 5402 does not. I suggest you have a little read on the forum as without some means of opening these channels you wont get them.

Hi,
I just received a technomate 5402 receiver and have hooked it up to my sky dish using the standard sky quad lnb. Its all working OK except there are a large number of channels where I get "No or bad signals", especially on the 12.167V 29.500. It is largely the HD channels that I dont get

I have switched various cables from the dish and no difference. The strange thing is that I do get the channels on my sky box which is connected to the same dish!

Can anyone suggest what the fault might be? am thinking of realigning my dish, but that wouldnt explain why I can see certain channels on my Sky Box, but not on my technomate! It is also not a subscirotion issue - the signal level on the channels I cant see is only 9-10%

many thanks

You don't say mate, but have you tried a full blind scan - as Zorch suggests above, because your new TM may have never had one?:drink:

OK, I did a factory reste and a blind scan as suggested

The blind scan only picked up about 450ish channels on Astra 28E, and I now cannot actually see the channels i was talking about earlier on my channel list. e.g syfy HD is gone whereas before I could see on the the channel list which i had imported from a forum (albeit it only had 9-10% signal strength and a "no signal" message

Could it be my LNB/dish?

thanks

Hi again atruvelo,

A factory reset will not delete all the transponders frequencies on Astra 28.2°E ...you need to go into the 'Advanced Search' menu and physically delete every transponder frequency on that satellite position... do not do any more factory resets as this will just bring back all the transponders you have just deleted...

Then go into the 'Satellite Set-up' menu and make sure you have the following settings for this satellite...

LNB Type: Universal
LNB Freq: 9.750/10.600

If you have the Step 'Blind Search' scan settings on the Original Software... set this to Step 4MHz... then try doing a full 'Blind Search' scan of the satellite again...

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

if the channels work on the sky box then its not dish alaignment.

disconnect the sky receiver completley and rescan on the 5402

OK,
First of all, many thanks for your swift replies, I really appreciate it.

Zorch, I did as you suggested and I now have a lot more channels. I have also identified the source of the problem:

When the sky box is plugged in (even on standby), I cannot get certain channels (eg Syfy HD). as soon as I unplug the sky box, the signal strength jumps from 10% to 75% and I can receive all the channels. So the sky box is somehow influencing the signal to my technomate!

Has anyone come across this before? are there any solutions to this problem?

many thanks!

the problem is a failing power supply in your thompson receiver (by the sounds of it) when its connected, the receiver itself is draining extra current from the 5402 via the interconnected LNB chassis

this is why i said to try it with the sky receiver disconnected ;)

to have both connected, and working in harmony, youll need to get the power supply on your sky receiver repaired ;)

Thanks - but I dont have a Thomson HD box.It is a sky (amstrad?) DRX890-C

Could this still be the case?

thanks

Thanks - but I dont have a Thomson HD box.It is a sky (amstrad?) DRX890-C

Could this still be the case?

thanks

I believe Digidude probably assumed its a Thomson mate because its a known fault in the Thomson boxes!
You can still buy replacement power supplies on Fleabay for the Thomson boxes, I know I had one!! lol!!!
As for Amstrads, maybe Digidude himself may comment?:salute:

Many thanks guys,
At the moment, I intend to solve the problem by buying a quad lnb off fleabay (6 quid) and strapping it next to the existing one (have seen some diy solutions in forums). This way my technomate can have its own lnb and wont be messed up by the skybox (which works fine apart from the ps problem)

thanks!

sounds like the same problem, with amstrads though the psu is a part of the main board (the 890 also has another smaller board) but its the psu starting to fail, causing it to draw extra current from the 5402.

strapping another lnb next to the existing one wont work, as the lnb on the arm of the dish is at the focal point of the dish, and this is the only place a signal is present for the satellite you intend to receive

Hi again atruvelo,

From what I have observed in the past... Sky Digiboxes always seem to demand to be the master signal receiver from any multi-input LNB ...I don't know why this happens... but like you say... as soon as you switch off the Sky Digibox... you are getting a proper response from the dish/LNB

You should really think about setting up a separate motorised dish/LNB for your Technomate receiver...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

As Zorch said, motorized is the way to go sticking on 28.2 means your missing out on 1000's of viewable channels and really limiting your viewing choice.

Thanks Guys,
I may well consider a motorised dish, but am new to this scene and it sounds complicated to set up. will investigate.

In the meantime, I saw these setups and so thought a seconf lnb might work after all?:

Sky minidish with extra LNB

that setup is for receiving a different sat(like 19.2 east) at the same time with different providers but depending on your dishsize and where your located for it to work, and if you place a different lnb beside it you would need a diseq switch too.

Hi again atruvelo,

It would be interesting to know whether you still get the same bad/reduced signal problems if you attach a second Sky Digibox to the same LNB...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Back