Solar Panels...Too good to be true?

Thanks for the feedback folks

The 120 a month is for 15 years which is 21600

The outright install cost is 12700

That's some amount of interest to pay!

Yeah we were getting a quarterly cheque for selling into the national grid

The guy said after 25 years the guarantee is up and you should make at least 50k out of it

Total and utter bollocks!

Thanks for the feedback folks

The 120 a month is for 15 years which is 21600

The outright install cost is 12700

That's some amount of interest to pay!

Yeah we were getting a quarterly cheque for selling into the national grid

The guy said after 25 years the guarantee is up and you should make at least 50k out of it

Total and utter bollocks!

£12700 for install sounds a bit high unless you have a very difficult install. I have panels on the front and back of the house with higher end inverter, total cost was £9k. As mentioned, the best you are going to get from a south facing 4Kw system is £750 a year.

Shade greener does not require you to pay anything any elec generated u get off your bill

Shade greener does not require you to pay anything any elec generated u get off your bill

The biggest saving you are likely to see over the course of a year is around £400 assuming that you have a optimal install and use 100% of the power generated. More likely be a lot less then that.

thanks for the info folks!

how can these guys guarantee these figures then?

I got a reply from shade greener im not eligible as me house is not in an area is good for them
To install

i suspect all of Scotland could fall into that category then lol

thanks for the info folks!

how can these guys guarantee these figures then?

Ask them if they are willing to guarantee a minimum figure or they have any sort if proof of that level of income.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I got a reply from shade greener im not eligible as me house is not in an area is good for them
To install

Ah, Scotland. Unfortunately its not ideal due to the latitude.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

How does that work then ?Surely they must be getting something out of it.

they are creaming it mate. They get a FIT payment of 14.9p per KWh from the government plus whatever they get from exporting the energy, typically around 5p per KWh, so around 20p per KWh.

You benefit is the amount you save off your electricity bill, typical user uses anything from 30% to 70% depending on how you use it.

If you look at the calculator I posted you can get a rough idea of how much power its going to generate per year. For a ideal installation that would be around 3300KWh per year which for them would be around £650 a year and potential saving of £400
if you can use 100% of the power you generate but more likely you will save less then that.

I am guessing their install costs are around £5k so they break even would be around 9 years. Once your roof is sub-optimal, e.g. not enough roof area, wrong oriantation (they can easily check with google maps) or its overcast then their payback period starts extending and they will refuse the install.

Last edited:
How does that work then ?Surely they must be getting something out of it.

They get paid for the electric the install produces,you benefit from the 'free' electric it produces.I'll give you an example,2 months ago I submitted a meter reading of 87818,just looked at my meter it now reads 87522.
Just wish I had something that did that for the gas!!

Also don't forget it doesn't work at night and not as well in winter, you need to use as much electric as you can during the day, you cant store it

Back