Royal British Legion offering veterans and their families grants of up to £1,200 to help pay bills

Rumpelstiltskin.

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/n...tish-legion-armed-forces-grants-energy-bills/

The Royal British Legion, the UK's largest charity dedicated to supporting the armed forces community, has launched a grant scheme for veterans and their families who are struggling to pay their energy bills. The initiative will provide non-repayable emergency grants of up to £1,200 (£200 a month for up to six months), and is available across the UK.

Who can apply for the Royal British Legion grants​

In general, the armed forces community includes those who have served, or are serving, in the Royal Navy, British Army or Royal Air Force, as well as their families, dependants and carers – which can include children, current and former spouses and partners, widows and widowers.

However, the Royal British Legion uses a broad definition of "armed forces community" – so even if you're not sure you fit into one of the categories above, it's worth checking your eligibility on its website or by calling its helpline on 0808 802 8080
The grants are means-tested – but you DON'T have to be on state benefits
If you're currently getting any means-tested state benefits, such as universal credit, pension credit or income support, you should qualify automatically.

But you could still be eligible for a grant even if you don't get any benefits – the Royal British Legion will check your income and expenditure to assess your needs. The charity told us that it encourages anyone struggling financially to apply, as it has flexibility to consider support for people who don't meet the means-testing.

You can get up to £200 a month for up to six months, depending on your circumstances​

If your application is successful, you'll get up to £200 a month for up to six months – the exact amount and duration will vary depending on your circumstances. You won't have to reapply every month, just the once.

In most cases, you won't be paid in cash. Instead, you'll get one or more of the following depending on your situation:

• Vouchers to top up your gas or electricity prepayment meter
  • A virtual credit card you can use to pay utility bills (restricted to this use)
  • Vouchers for food, clothing or household items
  • Replacement white goods

In most cases, you won't be paid in cash. Instead, you'll get one or more of the following depending on your situation:

• Vouchers to top up your gas or electricity prepayment meter
  • A virtual credit card you can use to pay utility bills (restricted to this use)
  • Vouchers for food, clothing or household items
  • Replacement white goods
As far as charity goes for me, this bit here is quite important.

I appreciate that sometimes "cash" is the only answer, e.g. if you're in debt, but I've seen it being misused.

But what a great and significant initiative. I wonder how they are funding it.

But what a great and significant initiative. I wonder how they are funding it.
Can only imagine from the recent poppy appeal. Not sure if they get money apart from that and donations. Nice to see that the help can only be used for the items listed.
Know too many who still won't put their heating on although they have received help from the Government. They think the money is to stay in their account rather than going towards their bills.

I can understand a lot of the young families perhaps using it towards their Christmas but not the older ones. My mate has over 80 grand sat in the bank, has just received his £500 Winter payment and still won't put the heating on.

Back