Smoking Ban

this really pees me off thinking about it. The govenment think its PC to ban smoking and police it ok.. but why the fu@k cant they police the streets anymore, you get caught smoking in an banned area your gona have the letter of the law thrown at you, you break into a house and walk out with all the owners goods your laughing as the police are all down the local pub catching smokers insted of the job WERE all paying them to do. Im wondering what else the govenment are gona ban next or put a tax surcharge on.... fresh air, sex, or even putting tolls on the streets we walk. This country has gone MAD, im no longer proud to live here and can see the attraction of fleeing this country like many are in their droves. The so called govenment say that all these restrictions are for our own good ie terriorism, health, etc (thinking of id cards) but this is just the tip of the ice burg. Its becoming very reminisant of NAZI germany in ww2,
Our freedoms are being erroded at a alarming rate, before anyone jumps on me over the smoking ban im an ex smoker (by 2.5years now), i dont like the smell anymore but i wouldnt begrudge any of my smoking friends to light up, i just think this smoking ban is a test bed (or excuse the pun a smoke screen) for something much more restrictive in the near future.... wait and see!!

your spot on I couldnt agree more with what your saying

this really pees me off thinking about it. The govenment think its PC to ban smoking and police it ok.. but why the fu@k cant they police the streets anymore, you get caught smoking in an banned area your gona have the letter of the law thrown at you, you break into a house and walk out with all the owners goods your laughing as the police are all down the local pub catching smokers insted of the job WERE all paying them to do. Im wondering what else the govenment are gona ban next or put a tax surcharge on.... fresh air, sex, or even putting tolls on the streets we walk. This country has gone MAD, im no longer proud to live here and can see the attraction of fleeing this country like many are in their droves. The so called govenment say that all these restrictions are for our own good ie terriorism, health, etc (thinking of id cards) but this is just the tip of the ice burg. Its becoming very reminisant of NAZI germany in ww2,
Our freedoms are being erroded at a alarming rate, before anyone jumps on me over the smoking ban im an ex smoker (by 2.5years now), i dont like the smell anymore but i wouldnt begrudge any of my smoking friends to light up, i just think this smoking ban is a test bed (or excuse the pun a smoke screen) for something much more restrictive in the near future.... wait and see!!

i will second that if i ever come into money the first thing i would do is leave this country no two ways about it.

thats the best thing thay can do is banning smoking,sorry for thr smokers but as you all know it is bad for ya lol did smoke once aponatime.

i live in scotland where the ban is in force , i have never seen one of these so called envoiremental officers who can hand out fixed penalties , and anybody else ive spoken to has never seen one??? And to this end i know of some pubs who are flouting this law and allow smoking on their premises and i can not count the number of works vans i have seen with the occupants smoking away to their hearts content , only the other day I went into a local garage to get my car mot-ed (while -u-wait) the 3 mechanics on the shop floor were smoking while they worked. As for the couple of irish people who said they have had a couple of years of the smoking ban and its all hunky dory , try telling that to the large amount of pub and club owners who had to eventually sell up or close down. There are 4 pubs in my town who have just put up for sale signs in the last week. The question ,all these people who state that its the best thing thats ever happened , should be asking is WHERE DOES IT STOP , people are getting to fat , lets close restraunts and chip shops , Your car is spewing out deadly toxins you will only be allowed to do 20 miles a week (only if you carry 3 passengers) . You will have to be evicted because your home is not enviorementaly friendly (SOUNDS DAFT) watch this space!!!!: shocked2

thats the best thing thay can do is banning smoking,sorry for thr smokers but as you all know it is bad for ya lol did smoke once aponatime.

On the other hand...everyone was a non-smoker once-upon-a-time.

They only started it to look cool/fit in/look sophisticated LoL
Go on, tell me I'm wrong, it certainly wasn't for the taste.

Yep, all that coughing & spluttering & feeling sick so that you could train yourself to like them was well worth it.

I wish I was still a smoker, I miss smelling like a stale ashtray, and sneaking out to feed my habit when it's blowing a gale & absolutely pouring down :)

Hey, there's good news as well...I just broke 500 posts :)

We have laws to prevent other social problems; if smokers are unable to be considerate of other's, then legislation is required.

It is a fact that smoking is considered unpleasant by many, I really can not understand why there is even a debate

We have laws to prevent other social problems; if smokers are unable to be considerate of other's, then legislation is required.

It is a fact that smoking is considered unpleasant by many, I really can not understand why there is even a debate
i think that basically our rights to do as we wish eg smoking are being stopped. i mean drinking is just as bad to your health and you can do that as and when you want, do be honest i find drinking to be worse then smoking, i cant go out in my local town at night due to people my age that are drunk and that either try and hit on you and dont get the hint that no means no or they try and mug you, i would much rather be in a town where everyone was smoking and there was a cloud of smoke in the air then in a town were im scared to go out with out a man in case i get attacked.
sorry if this goes off topic.

I find people eating in public an absolute disgrace, what can I do about that???

i think that basically our rights to do as we wish eg smoking are being stopped. i mean drinking is just as bad to your health and you can do that as and when you want, do be honest i find drinking to be worse then smoking, i cant go out in my local town at night due to people my age that are drunk and that either try and hit on you and dont get the hint that no means no or they try and mug you, i would much rather be in a town where everyone was smoking and there was a cloud of smoke in the air then in a town were im scared to go out with out a man in case i get attacked.
sorry if this goes off topic.

Yep, aint known a single case where someone has murdered/raped someone because they have had a couple of puffs of a ciggy....

Smoking "BAN" is not all bad!

I know many people are having minor panic attacks with the new smoking ban coming in. However, in general, it won't BAN you from smoking altogether, so if you need that smoke, you can, just not in my face (or the face of others in public places!). You can still go outside for a drag if needs be.

In Ireland, the smoking ban has been taken up quite successfully. Now when you go to the pub you don't come home smelling like an ashtray, and can go to a restaurant without someone blowing smoke in your general area, (I know I ordered smoked salmon, but this is ridiculous!!).

Overall, most people have taken to the change quite well, EVEN SMOKERS!! So "SMOKING BAN" might not be the appropriate term to discribe the new changes, as you can still smoke. Just as you don't hear about the "public urination ban" , you can't p*ss in public, but that doesn't mean you can't have a p*ss in the approprite areas (like your own doorstep!!!)
:eater:

regardless I am a smoker I feel my "right" whaever this means in UK are taken and I am not treated fairly. I do not smoke in public transport, neither in a pub or driving. But I cannot agree that in an open place I will be not allowed to smoke ( e.g. station's platforms). If someone can litter freely McDonald's cups or chips and fish, he is NOT fined for throwing his rubbish and litter the streets. Why should I be punished for throwing my fag on the streen when there are not even bins in London? The councils have to think about it!"

Back