Smoking Ban

I don't see why it should be any different to smoking

u cant breath in alcohol fumes, with smoking ur forced to breath it in even if you dont want to

there is already a alochol law u cant drink in the streets

I dont smoke but think they are taking it a bit far with this ban. I think they should concentrate on all the drink drivers more and drunks . I mean come on how many people do u know who have killed someone becoz of smoking or because they couldnt get a smoke . Then compare it with how many people have died because of someone drinking. How many fights in A&E because of smoking compare it with how many with drinking .I dont smoke and I dont mind being in the company of people that do. Just think the law is getting silly now

This is where you ask yourself, was it worth starting smoking?

The ban is a good thing, we can go for a drink or a meal without coming out stinking of other peoples smoke.

One thing I detest though is the crowd of addicts standing huddled around the doors of cafes, pubs, clubs, offices & workplaces blowing their foul smelling stench over the non-addicts.

The ban is a good thing, we can go for a drink or a meal without coming out stinking of other peoples smoke.

One thing I detest though is the crowd of addicts standing huddled around the doors of cafes, pubs, clubs, offices & workplaces blowing their foul smelling stench over the non-addicts.

what about the bunch of addicts (drunk) spewing and fighting around u dont much like the stench of sick either

a load of bol***ks

why ban it if peoples that bothered about it think very soon they will be banning transport as the fumes of this must be more than smoking in public all you people wanting smoking banned is stupid how many of you that wants smoking banned drives so all of you that is against smoking i suggest you stop driving as i dont want you polluting my lungs if people keep complaining about silly things the uk is gonna end up with nothing so i suggest you all take this in to account

I dont smoke but think they are taking it a bit far with this ban. I think they should concentrate on all the drink drivers more and drunks . I mean come on how many people do u know who have killed someone becoz of smoking or because they couldnt get a smoke . Then compare it with how many people have died because of someone drinking. How many fights in A&E because of smoking compare it with how many with drinking .I dont smoke and I dont mind being in the company of people that do. Just think the law is getting silly now

I agree completely. A man in lecistershire killed 2 girls by drink driving and he only got 6 years in jail. How bloody outragous can you get.

Stab proof vests? But then again a £50 fine is a lot. You can't even smoke in your own van?

why ban it if peoples that bothered about it think very soon they will be banning transport as the fumes of this must be more than smoking

Some of you are missing the point they are not Banning smoking you can still enjoy your Stick.
So you can walk along road smoking same way as car can drive along road spewing fumes
Even a smoker would be against a car runing its engine in a pub
Also we have had smoking in public places ban for a year now and i never heard anyone from England ranting on aboot it when it became law up here maybe if they did it would have been harder to enforce if all uk stuck together with protest
The saying is "Divide and conquer"
Smoking ban is perfect example of this

Last edited:
this is just another scheme to get money

i have read this on the internet of my local paper and its a waste of money and just another way of making money

Undercover officers to police smoke ban

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »
View GalleryBy Victoria Taylor
SMOKING snoopers are ready to catch people who break the ban on lighting up in public places.
Teams of officers have been trained across Hampshire so they are ready to make sure the smoking ban is enforced when it begins on July 1.

The officers will be allowed to go to bars, restaurants and other venues which are open to the public to look out for offenders.

And they will also be on standby to investigate tip-offs from the public about firms which are flouting the law on a special hotline.

Portsmouth City Council has 10 environmental health officers ready to go undercover – and three of them will be dedicated to enforcing the smoking ban.

Gosport council has employed a dedicated officer to boost its team, while other councils are training their existing staff.

Councils across our area have been given a government grant of more than £270,000 to use for training, publicity and for a hotline.

Officers in Portsmouth and south-east Hampshire have vowed to take a softly-softly approach for the first three months of the ban.

Businesses which breach the ban during that time will get a warning, followed up by three letters – the third of which will be an official written warning.

If they continue to break the law, they could be taken to court and hit with penalties of up to £2,500.

City council environment health manager Mike Rimington said: 'The initial approach will be a non-confrontational one. The focus will be to raise awareness.'

Gosport Borough Council head of environmental health David Palmer added it would be partly up to the public to help police the ban.

'We are expecting people to blow the whistle on those who don't comply,' he said. 'The intention isn't to go in hard on enforcement initially. Most businesses will comply.'

Smoking Ban in Ireland

Hi
The smoking ban has been in Ireland for quite a while now. Many people thought it would never work in Ireland, with Irelands reputation for pubs, drinking, and the craic :)

After a few minor revolts by publicans, who soon backed down after the threat of losing their licence, most people conformed to the change, faster and easier than most thought possible.

One advantage that has come about since the ban is the new "Social Scene" that has developed either outside of pubs or in beer gardens. You can always start up a chat with someone who is standing outside a bar, with cancer stick in hand, moaning about the ban. It might lead to something more entertaining than just a nicotine fix.

So, don't think about the bad points of the ban, when it may lead to you getting more "rumpy-pumpy", as we say in Ireland!!!

The Wabbit!!

The smoking ban is a goog thing it has been in Ireland for many years now and the majority of smokers I know agree with it totally. Also helps when it comes time to kick the habit completely.

Imagine being in a pub on June 30th lol. you wont be able to breath because of all the smoke.

this really pees me off thinking about it. The govenment think its PC to ban smoking and police it ok.. but why the fu@k cant they police the streets anymore, you get caught smoking in an banned area your gona have the letter of the law thrown at you, you break into a house and walk out with all the owners goods your laughing as the police are all down the local pub catching smokers insted of the job WERE all paying them to do. Im wondering what else the govenment are gona ban next or put a tax surcharge on.... fresh air, sex, or even putting tolls on the streets we walk. This country has gone MAD, im no longer proud to live here and can see the attraction of fleeing this country like many are in their droves. The so called govenment say that all these restrictions are for our own good ie terriorism, health, etc (thinking of id cards) but this is just the tip of the ice burg. Its becoming very reminisant of NAZI germany in ww2,
Our freedoms are being erroded at a alarming rate, before anyone jumps on me over the smoking ban im an ex smoker (by 2.5years now), i dont like the smell anymore but i wouldnt begrudge any of my smoking friends to light up, i just think this smoking ban is a test bed (or excuse the pun a smoke screen) for something much more restrictive in the near future.... wait and see!!

well put,have to agree with everything you said,just that some people cannot see what this government are doing,we`ll soon be a communist country.
this really pees me off thinking about it. The govenment think its PC to ban smoking and police it ok.. but why the fu@k cant they police the streets anymore, you get caught smoking in an banned area your gona have the letter of the law thrown at you, you break into a house and walk out with all the owners goods your laughing as the police are all down the local pub catching smokers insted of the job WERE all paying them to do. Im wondering what else the govenment are gona ban next or put a tax surcharge on.... fresh air, sex, or even putting tolls on the streets we walk. This country has gone MAD, im no longer proud to live here and can see the attraction of fleeing this country like many are in their droves. The so called govenment say that all these restrictions are for our own good ie terriorism, health, etc (thinking of id cards) but this is just the tip of the ice burg. Its becoming very reminisant of NAZI germany in ww2,
Our freedoms are being erroded at a alarming rate, before anyone jumps on me over the smoking ban im an ex smoker (by 2.5years now), i dont like the smell anymore but i wouldnt begrudge any of my smoking friends to light up, i just think this smoking ban is a test bed (or excuse the pun a smoke screen) for something much more restrictive in the near future.... wait and see!!

well put,have to agree with everything you said,just that some people cannot see what this government are doing,we`ll soon be a communist country.

communist country ? we are

this really pees me off thinking about it. The govenment think its PC to ban smoking and police it ok.. but why the fu@k cant they police the streets anymore, you get caught smoking in an banned area your gona have the letter of the law thrown at you, you break into a house and walk out with all the owners goods your laughing as the police are all down the local pub catching smokers insted of the job WERE all paying them to do. .............

If you get caught breaking into someone's house you're going to get done as well and the police won't be getting involved in the smoking stuff unless someone turns violent when told to quit smoking! The policing will be done by council employees who will issue fixed penalties with the vast majority being for publicans etc who permit smoking rather than the people actually lighting up. At least that's the way it works in Scotland and there's no reason to think it'll work any differently in England.

Anyay I'm coming to England in July for a wee break and I'm looking forward to taking my 8 year old into places where no-one will be smoking (particularly cafes and other foody places, cos he's too young for pubs!)

Back