sly cards getting killed??

A very good point digi. I was thinking the other day why don't they just make cardless boxes, and that would stop all.

Mind you the cost would be astronomical.

but when the cost of making and distributing the receivers is less than the estimated cost of the losses being caused by people 'subscribing' to servers instead of the providors, thats when this will happen

Sky reported pre-tax profit increased to £707m in the last three quarters, up from £339m in the same period a year earlier.
So if you thing the cost of replacing the current recievers scares them i think we would all be mistaken.
I think we will see cardless boxes eventualy....say for example replacing 10 million subscribers boxes at a cost of say £250 a box equals 250 million, it would eat into their profits for one year only.
I agree with digi that sky dont see it as a big problem just now but will chip away in the background until the day they decide enough is enough.

Last edited:
Rather than launching cardless boxes they have other methods at their disposal such as encrypting control words so that emulators can't read them. That should put an end to card sharing.

NDS openly mention this on their website.

VideoGuard Express by NDS

....say for example replacing 10 million subscribers boxes at a cost of say £250 a box equals 250 million, it would eat into their profits for one year only.

10,000,000 x 250 = 2500,000,000

Two and a half billion, ouch

lol...thought id edited that.....but it still isnt an impossible number for a company like sky...fazed in over a few years plus new customers taking the hit for the reciever

it wouldnt cost nowhere near that

sky make their own receivers now theyve bought that part of amstrad, so the bulk buy the parts to make 10,000,000 they would have massive buying power to play companies off against each other, and while the total would still be an obscene amount of money, as said, it wouldnt take long to recoup that investment, added with all the new subscribers leaving card servers

Unless Murdoch gets someone to rip N3 apart just like N1 :)

JohnO

To overcome this issue can we just block the updates and put the card back in the original box 2-3 weeks before entitlements expire for the card to update?

there is no definite connection between entitlements and this killer emm.
basically it could attack at any time so updating via original stb wouldn't really protect you although i would do that anyway just to be on the safe side.

as queit a few people have said, I, with my infinite wisdom don't personally think this is Sly's doing, its too small scale to seem like an attack, might be something to do with the softcam. on the other hand it might be an attack as it isn't just cccam that has been hit.

surely blocking updates will stop the killer emm?

surely blocking updates will stop the killer emm?

In theory yes, but CCcam is not to clever at blocking updates also out of the box it allows updates you have to actually block them with a few lines in the cfg. Newcs is much better at blocking emms this is why people moved to it just in case.

Whos to say its one killer emm? maybe there is a hidden entitlemet which needs to be updated before/after the main set of entitlements so cccam/newcs+mgcamd updates away but missing the hidden one which in turn cause the card to go off?

Now newcs and cccam is not being activly developed i guess its going to be a long bumpy ride ahead.

Si

In theory yes, but CCcam is not to clever at blocking updates also out of the box it allows updates you have to actually block them with a few lines in the cfg. Newcs is much better at blocking emms this is why people moved to it just in case.

Whos to say its one killer emm? maybe there is a hidden entitlemet which needs to be updated before/after the main set of entitlements so cccam/newcs+mgcamd updates away but missing the hidden one which in turn cause the card to go off?

Now newcs and cccam is not being activly developed i guess its going to be a long bumpy ride ahead.

Si

why arent they being developed?

The newcs team went their seperate ways a good few months back and cccam had pretty much died around the time the source became public. The team behind cccam had always said they where not happy about having cams connecting to cccam beacuse it would generate a network of virtual cards and inturn be the downfall of c/s. They other side of the story was DM funding deveopment and not wanting non DM recievers using cccam.

At first I thought it was the DM reason but what do we have now? Well at first we had emus that could connect to cccam, not so bad i thought. But now we have emus that can connect to cccam report it is cccam and share your card to how many people they want regardless or the reshare limit.. So i guess they where right all along

Si

The industry needs a shake up for so many reasons. Anyone logging and working on new additions to the command structure of uk white cards would be mad to openly share their knowledge.
The sat industry overall boomed from development investment by DreamMultimedia, but now nobody wants to pay the higher price for continued development. For the sake of the sat tv hobby, I sincerely hope sky use their e-fuse-kill technique more often. I hope the fix remains with a cam that does not work on any receiver apart from the manufacturers who fund the cam development. I hope issues with many other european cards will be solved this way too :)
Its all too easy, too cheap, too common & widespread, it cant last. Especially now uk cable users flood into the scene. My faith remains that DreamMM will have a new cam when the time is right ;)

On the flip side, Sky have pure contempt & hatred of DMM and the best thing they done to hurt DMM was to do 'nothing'. Allowing cs to spread meant dream lost market control and rivals could take the food from their table. Sky kicked them with the hdmi licence issue too, but without doubt dream certainly have gone backwards as cardshare expanded. The longer cardshare works free with cccam & newcs, the more dream's business model struggles. Who knows if it was a plan or not, but Sky still hold the real power.

now this is intresting:

I sincerely hope sky use their e-fuse-kill technique more often.

remind me of the time when the mosc cards with only 2 tiers were killed
first they were marked by a emm then they were killed

so how would some 1 go about logging the stream ??

now this is intresting:

I sincerely hope sky use their e-fuse-kill technique more often.

remind me of the time when the mosc cards with only 2 tiers were killed
first they were marked by a emm then they were killed

so how would some 1 go about logging the stream ??

That could be whats happening when the cards are being unpaired from the official receivers?

maybe a card thats been unpaired, has a marker on it for a future update?

That could be whats happening when the cards are being unpaired from the official receivers?

maybe a card thats been unpaired, has a marker on it for a future update?
Yes, the marker is technically known as a fuse-count. If an ecm/emm update is left uncompleted but the fuse-count has been initiated at the start, then it is only the next emm sent that will switch the card off. Updates are part of a whole packet that can contain many nanocommands, then it is only signed off with a valid signature at the end. With the new cards there are several fuse-count processes and all may not be known yet. Cards already check to see if they are in an official receiver but of course this is emulated, but other nano's could easily do further checks... if these are not answered by the emualtion correctly then the rest of the packet will fail, which means the final 'close off emm' will not be processed. Thus, next update it blows the e-fuse immediately.

While i'm adding to this thread, i'd like to say that i highly doubt sky will opt for cardless receivers ~at least not for a huge amount of time in our future. Cardless receivers still have 1 major flaw.... when the firmware is disassembled & reworked the hack will always stay until all units are replaced -just like cable receivers. If firmware updates are sent over air then this comes signed with management keys which can provide easier methods of further hacks, usually making the system completely full-hacked (like cable). So its always been a weak option. It is cheaper to replace cards every 5 years than to replace every receiver; as well as completely change/update security without having to send management data over the air; as well as best method to manage customers personalisation. NDS developed their network encryption method for internet demands, but it is not a replacement for smartcard technology. They may sell it as a low-cost alternative, but sky wont go for 'cheap n cheerful'. You may get both together ~network & smartcard, but this isn't going to be practical in this country for some time imho.

Back