Samsung 2100 Er:05 problem

bammy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Recently got handed a sammy 2100 to 'investigate'. On powering, random display on the front panel and no other life. I lifted the lid and the full horror became apparent :proud: - looked like someone had spilled soup into the box, the pcb was covered in a thick layer of goo and had an interesting selection of wildlife growing in it (smell was pretty interesting too!).

I removed the board and set about it with soap and an electric toothbrush. This revealed that whatever had been spilled had attacked some of the electrolytic caps, about eight were leaking, so replaced them, reassembled, connected to cable feed, and got LD:00, LD:20, LD:30 and into an update cycle - looking good so far. However, the box then goes to Er:05 and repeats the cycle for ever (can't get into EM either - just gives Er:05 when the up/down buttons are released, and reboots). I read somewhere that this can be caused by a corrupt 'atmel' dump (think it's actually an AMD chip in the 2100). I've tried reflowing the chip (further evidence of corrosion on the legs) but now just getting Er:00 on booting (so may try lifting / cleaning [i.e. soup removal] as next step).

Does anyone know if an atmel can be used as a replacement (I have some brand new ones for a pace), and also does anyone have a known working dump from the chip? I don't really need the box (just as well as it looks like it's been run over by a tank), I just like the challenge :)

as you probably already know err:05 is a critical error, platform inflation failed, new platform download required, for this error message engineers are normally advised to replace the STB.

Thanks IAmATeaf, that's why I was planning to replace and / or reflash the AMD chip. I've now removed the chip, the board has cleaned up really well but the chip legs are so dirty that I can't id the chip in a willem (no surprise there), will try with a fibre pen tomorrow and see if this improves things. If I can read the chip successfully then I see no reason not to replace it, however if it won't read then would still appreciate it if someone has a sammy dump and can advise on compatability of the AMD chip with Atmels.

Last edited:
Thanks IAmATeaf, that's why I was planning to replace and / or reflash the AMD chip. I've now removed the chip, the board has cleaned up really well but the chip legs are so dirty that I can't id the chip in a willem (no surprise there), will try with a fibre pen tomorrow and see if this improves things. If I can read the chip successfully then I see no reason not to replace it, however if it won't read then would still appreciate it if someone has a sammy dump and can advise on compatability of the AMD chip with Atmels.
amd and atmels wont swop m8 :(

Back