Openreach

Sandra51

DW Regular ++
Reaction score
Does anyone know why Openreach employ morons to install FTTP 🤔

I had FTTP installed last Wednesday and to make the installation as easy as possible and to get the router in the same place as my old one, a friend came round on Sunday and helped me to pull up a couple of floorboards in my kitchen and another one in my lounge where my current router is. I had a couple of lengths of plastic trunking that we put from where my existing phone cable came into the house across my kitchen to the far side of the kitchen where there was another piece going under the floor and through the wall into my lounge. Thinking that the engineers could simply tape their cable to the trunking and easily pull it through to where I wanted it to come up to where I wanted the router.

They said that they couldn't do that because they can't bend the cable as its fibreglass and it would break.
They looked around the inside and outside of my house and said we can't drill through the wall into the kitchen because its tiled and we can't drill through tiles. We can't go on the roof but we can put the ladder up at the side and put it through into the bedroom. I said that was no good as I only have one double socket in that room and it would not be convenient.

After about 30 minutes debating where they could put it I said that it wasn't ideal but could they put it where the existing phone cable came into my house from the attached garage as I already had an ethernet cable at that point that ran under the floor to where my current router was. They said that they could do that and they installed it there, which is under my stairs and on top of the cupboard where my electricity meter and circuit breaker box is.

After they left I went outside to see where they had fixed the external junction box that the fibre cable ran from to the ONT box inside my house that the router connected to. I couldn't believe how sharply they had bent it at a right angle before it went to my garage wall where it went up and through another very tight right angle it went through my garage wall.

1676740349858.png

1676740388359.png

I had read that the ONT box had to be close to the router so this afternoon I looked online to see if I could get an extension cable to run under the floor so that I could reposition the ONT box and router. You can buy a junction box and the optical cable in various lengths but then I read that yo udo not need to have the ONT box near to the router as the ethernet cable connecting them together is not a special one, as I had thought, and is just a standard ethernet cable.

Seeing as the Openreach, moron first class and his second in command knew that I had an ethernet cable already running through to my original router from where he had placed the ONT box, why didn't he say plug that cable into the ONT box so I could have my router where I wanted it. :mad:

I have now moved my router to where I wanted it and it works perfectly.
The annoying thing is that I didn't have to do all the work that me and my friend did on Sunday in preparation as I thought that the ONT box and router had to be close together, as that was what it said on BT's website about getting it installed.

I'd have nightmares if I installed a box that far out of square. Certainly don't take any pride in their work.

Actually that box is not as bad as it looks as my drive slopes at a very steep angle, but you can clearly see how tightly the unbendable fibre cable has been bent.

Think, they have rules that where the fibre comes into the home it pretty much has to be terminated there. Also they cannot use your Ethernet cable to connect the router as it may not be the correct cat and not get the correct speeds. What you do after they leave is up to you, but they cannot even advise you on that

If I had been doing something like that I would just have said "I haven't told you this but you can always run a cat 5 or better cable from the ONT box to anywhere you want to put the router".

It's a bit like my friend who is a first responder does when he goes to a heart attack patient, he is not allowed to give him or her an aspirin but tells whoever called him that giving him or her an aspirin could be helpful.

If I had been doing something like that I would just have said "I haven't told you this but you can always run a cat 5 or better cable from the ONT box to anywhere you want to put the router".

It's a bit like my friend who is a first responder does when he goes to a heart attack patient, he is not allowed to give him or her an aspirin but tells whoever called him that giving him or her an aspirin could be helpful.
There is probably a good reason that they are not allowed to give aspirin like allergies etc. Aspirin cosy peanuts if it was really a good idea then then paramedics would issue them.

As for telling you to run your own cable, again they can't thats a user decision, if you are tech savy enough to know to do it, then you will be tech savy enough to put things back to how they were when the engineer left if things go wrong before calling your supplier.

Also dont forget that you are not Openreaches customer, your supplier is - makes a big difference

There is probably a good reason that they are not allowed to give aspirin like allergies etc. Aspirin cosy peanuts if it was really a good idea then then paramedics would issue them.
Paramedics may or may not be qualified to prescribe and give drugs but my friend who was a first responder obviously was not qualified to do so, that was why he would always tell them that. Presumably a close friend or relative would know if the person was allergic or not.

From the NHS :

Heart Attack

Treating heart attacks​

While waiting for an ambulance, it may help to chew and then swallow a tablet of aspirin (ideally 300mg), as long as the person having a heart attack is not allergic to aspirin.

Aspirin helps to thin the blood and improves blood flow to the heart.

When you said 1st responded and heart attack in the same sentence I obviously assumed them to be a paramedic

I am not sure exactly what the difference in the two are, but I always thought that first responders were a bit like St John's ambulance or advanced first aiders. I know that when he was on call he was supposed to be able to get to anywhere in the area he covered within ten minutes, even before the current extended waiting times for ambulances due to overcrowding in hospitals and the strikes. He carried oxygen and blood pressure monitors and I should think EpiPens but I am not sure exactly what he was allowed to do.

I remember many years back when I worked in a factory, the nurse on duty wasn't even allowed t ogive anyone an aspirin or a paracetamol if they had an headache, in case they were allergic.

Stupid
christmas-elf-cartoon-character_1308-121534.jpg
and safety gone mad. :rolleyes:

Back