Religion V's Atheism

richyrich

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just wondered where other members stand on this debate.

With being brought up in a non-religious family and having a logical thinking mind I just can't believe in a supernatural God also with some of the atrocities done in the name of religion it has to make you wonder.

What do others think?

WO...thuis could get interesting and also touchy..lol

I was brought up by a Christian family and to be honest I was made to go to Sunday school etc etc but as I got older I did question things but I am not sure if it is my upbringing or not... but I am God fearing, I dont know that if I really analyized it if I would believe in God but I fear him for some reason, I do not like people blatantly taking the Lords name in vain but I dont even know if I truely believe in God...if that doesnt make sense please remember I am classed as a thick paddy.

Maybe the best way to explain it is I fear incase I am wrong and there is a God. Yes in times of need I pray.

WO...thuis could get interesting and also touchy..lol
I was thinking the same thing, right be warned any shite or personal attacks creep into this it will be stamped out .. keep it sensible please and have a nice adult discussion ;)

I think there is a book called The brief history of time which trys to explain the creation of the universe. There is whole chapter devoted to this topic and when it said the Universe was created with a huge bang. Always makes me wonder what was there before the Universe was created. Also mentions that for life to exist a whole series of accidents had to occur. Too many coincidences for my liking.

If you believe then you beleive.
If you dont then you dont.
But we must respect others in their beliefs or non beliefs.
As for me my God is the Sun.
Without it there would no life whatsoever.

You could be opening a can of angry worms richyrich!
: shocked2

The Problem With Creation
God requires faith. If he would appear in the sky and tell us what to do it would end the debate, but he doesn't. People see organised religion being no different to many political organisations. People see shocking things happening every day on the news, so they think a caring omnipotent God would surely step in. Some ask "who created God?"

The Problem With Evolution
One thing I often notice is that evolutionists use the term 'logical' for evolution. If you sit back and think about it creation is actually more logical than evolution. If I insisted my van came about by accident you'd have me locked up, yet the universe, even the human brain, is much more complicated and precisely engineered than my van (especially my van!) Many scientists will openly admit all the models they currently have for evolution are mathematically impossible.

Some believe there is a creator but for some reason he's left us to it. Some believe in many gods.

Everyone will have their own views but how about this scientific train of thought someone put to me?
Did our universe have a beginning? The fossil record bears testament to all life starting about the same time, hence the formulation of the big bang theory.
Assuming it had a beginning, was the beginning caused? Using Newton's Law of cause and effect, it must have had a cause.
Was the cause someone or something? Whatever/whoever it was, it must have existed before the universe.
Does a study of the universe give the impression that it came about by something (chance) or by someone (design)? To me, that is the key question.

lol, thought I might be opening a can of worms but if peoples faith feels threatened by sensible debate, how strong is that faith?

Like Tegs and others have said, I've always respected peoples faith but lately I've been questioning if this is the right thing to do but maybe this is not the place for such a debate.

Thanks for replys.

Like Tegs and others have said, I've always respected peoples faith but lately I've been questioning if this is the right thing to do but maybe this is not the place for such a debate.

Thanks for replys.

I don't feel this is the right place to discuss this but like Bronto I'm willing to let it stay so long as it doesn't get silly.

For myself live and let live regardless of religion or race.

Have Fun

I have a really good mate who is struggling with this very issue at the moment (altho he wouldnt admit it)

He seemed to be quite the cristian when I first met him about 10 years ago, and we would sit in the alehouse until the wee hours putting the world to rights.

Over the years a lot of really crappy stuff has gone on in his life and I supected that he was losing faith.

Anyway, a month or so ago he saw what he has described as a ghost (two infact)

The problem is that he cant except what he seen, and now says he dosent belive in all that "Malarky", he now believes in science.

So he seems a bit confused that he seen what he cannot except, a lot of people (myself included) would put it down as a wierd experience to talk about when the subject crops up.

Not him though his head is battered and he's in the pup more than anywhere

I woul'dnt want to walk a mile in his shoes, although I do like beer.

logical thinking mind

I am sorry but the greatest logical minds in history have through logic assumed that 'a' god exists.....ofcourse i am not questioning your subjective 'logical' mind.

I think there is a book called The brief history of time which trys to explain the creation of the universe. There is whole chapter devoted to this topic and when it said the Universe was created with a huge bang. Always makes me wonder what was there before the Universe was created. Also mentions that for life to exist a whole series of accidents had to occur. Too many coincidences for my liking.

correct me if i am mistaken, i have read this book but stephen hawking did say that a god must exist as a conclusion.

apologies just to go with the flow of this thread, I am god fearing and i believe in god.

Last edited:
Have no strong beliefs myself but my wife does. I have total respect for her faith which has given her comfort on many an occasion. If, at the end of the day, that's all religion offers, then good on it. We attended the funeral mass for a close friend yesterday and it was clear how much comfort the family gained from it. For many people I'm sure it provides much more even than that.

i believe in god and religion it provides me with a sense of direction, teaches me to be a honest god fearing person, to respect other faiths and beliefs, teaches me to help the poor and less fortunate. i believe i will be questioned for my good deeds and bad deeds. i believe in karma what goes round comes round.

i also respect those who dont have a religion, i believe we are equal regardless of faith, color and beliefs!

i also pray for unity! our soldiers who have died for our country and those still out there risking there lives! for thousands of innocent lives that are lost today through War and starvation in third world countries including the kids who wont see even get a chance in life.

those are my feelings and opinions, i hope i haven't offended any1!

I'm down with Jesus.

My surname means disciple of Christ , something I found out recently

: shocked2

why do people beleive probarly because we need something superior to look up too.

Im kind of agnostic I want to believe and I do deep down but I want solid evidence/facts, but I suppose just because you can't see it doesn't mean its not there.

ive neither found faith or lost faith, i dont believe and i do believe. i live my life and dont worry about it, i dont think about it, i just live by the rules of society and i get on fine.

maybe there is a god maybe there isnt like i said ive never really sat down and thought about it (i think id like to believe there is), i believe there is something bigger than us (whether its god or not), yes we are the top of the chain but do you see other animals praying to god? do you see those animals going to war? if there is a god i think im doing fine by just doing what the other animals do...just getting on with it..

im surprised no ones come up with the alien descendants thing yet, fact!! you cant evolve from an animal that still exists so the we descended from apes isnt true, you cant descend from them, if so why is there still apes on the planet if we evolved from them. apes wouldnt exist if we developed from them.
some people think aliens (you might laugh but nearly all the ancient people from egypt to mexico have big similarities in there "god from the sky" google it) came here created humans from apes (hybrid of the aliens and ape) hence the way we are today.

the theory is no more unbelievable than some stories in the bible,

im not into all that but in theory our god from the sky could we be our ancient rulers from outer space.

i'll leave it there, im a believer in that there is something more than us but i cant commit to any god that isnt fact. if you told me you had six legs i wouldnt believe it till i saw it and the same goes for this subject.

having said that i still would like to believe there is a god...what does that make me in the scale of things, im not 100% believer but i dont believe that there isnt anything.

a link about the space people theory, theres loads on the net about this.

space people here

just to add on my other post, there is something after life i do believe in that but the subject wasnt about that. i myself (go on laugh out loud i dont care) have seen and heard things as a young teen that cant be explained, most haunted is fake tv, what i saw and have heard wasnt fake tv i was there.

Back