Looking for a printer

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have had enough of Epson. Used their brand for years but have been having nothing but trouble for months with my xp-3105. Numerous times there is a connection problem. I'll see work offline is ticked, untick it and it just comes back.
Yesterday it wouldn't connect to my wireless. Had to redo it several times before it would work.

Refuses to connect via my pc but will print through my phone. Just printed off a boarding pass for a flight to Italy through my phone and the paper moved through my printer seemingly 1mm at a time. Took over 5 minutes to print an A4 sheet ffs. Updated the firmware and now my refillable cartridges report as low.

Enough is enough. Anyone got recommendations for a non Epson printer. Thinking of Eco tank and preferable with ethernet connection so I don't have to rely solely on wireless. Budget isn't a problem but I have to bear in mind it's for occasional home use. I pondered laser but seems too exorbitant for a low user such as myself.

Not cheap but I much prefer laser

https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/produ...Rhu64Krr5OMFvBX_MKhoCCtUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

got an earlier model for my parents 2 or 3 years ago and its still going strong.

You really get what you pay for when it comes to printers
I should have added that I would prefer a colour printer. It's not a deal breaker though.
I know that laser works out far cheaper in the end for a moderate to high user but as said before I only use it occasionally. The initial cost of the laser isn't a deterrent but the cost of a replacement cartridge is.

I can't see how they can justify £113 for a standard black cartridge or £237 for an extended one. Wonder what that works out a gallon? Of course with my usage I would be unlikely to ever need one unless the original dried out 😂

The good thing about a Laser is that they dont dry out so if you dont use it for a few months your not replacing unused ink, or worse still binning the printer.

On the cost of the consumables if you can look at the cost per page.

I have mine under contract and pay per page 1p per page B&W and 5p per page colour, thats quite a high rate as i do little printing

I just got this yesterday for £60 with ink, still in the box, brand new from eBay

Canon PIXMA TS3350 Inkjet Printer, A4, print, copy and scan - Black - With Ink
Print Specifications
Functions - Wi-Fi, Print, Copy, Scan, Cloud
Print Resolution - Up to 4800 1 x 1200 dpi
Print Technology - 2 FINE Cartridges (Black and Colour)
Mono Print Speed - Approx. 7.7 ipm 2
Colour Print Speed - Approx. 4.0 ipm 3
Photo Print Speed - Borderless 10x15cm : Approx. 65 seconds 4
Borderless Printing - Yes (13x18cm, 10x15cm, 13x13cm)
Two Sided Printing - Manual operation

s-l1600.jpg

Why I went for InkJet and not Laser is cos InkJet is better for printing photographs

Probably best to get the cheapest printer available locally (Usually a Hewlett Packard) you can get some for a price less than the ink replacements. I do this and have a go at refilling the ink cartridges when the get low and if that doesn't work then just a case of getting another new cheap printer. It normally works out much cheaper overall than replacing with original ink cartridges.

I just got this yesterday for £60 with ink, still in the box, brand new from eBay

Canon PIXMA TS3350 Inkjet Printer, A4, print, copy and scan - Black - With Ink
Print Specifications
Functions - Wi-Fi, Print, Copy, Scan, Cloud
Print Resolution - Up to 4800 1 x 1200 dpi
Print Technology - 2 FINE Cartridges (Black and Colour)
Mono Print Speed - Approx. 7.7 ipm 2
Colour Print Speed - Approx. 4.0 ipm 3
Photo Print Speed - Borderless 10x15cm : Approx. 65 seconds 4
Borderless Printing - Yes (13x18cm, 10x15cm, 13x13cm)
Two Sided Printing - Manual operation

View attachment 147744
Looks ok. John Lewis has it for £44-95 but the cartridges are probably just the starter ones. The cost of genuine cartridges don't seem quite as exorbitant as Epson either.
Definitely worth thinking about.

Probably best to get the cheapest printer available locally (Usually a Hewlett Packard) you can get some for a price less than the ink replacements. I do this and have a go at refilling the ink cartridges when the get low and if that doesn't work then just a case of getting another new cheap printer. It normally works out much cheaper overall than replacing with original ink cartridges.
I refilled these on the Epson and it seemed to work ok, it's just all the other niggly problems. I'm just looking for something that will wake up when I need it, do the job and then go back to sleep without me having an hour of troubleshooting every time I need to print a page off. Really trying to steer away from wifi only connectivity.

How many pages do you print on average a year?

How many pages do you print on average a year?
Loads mate, probably a couple of sheets a week.

1656598017923.gif
Seriously though it's hard to tell but not a lot now I've retired. Probably print more for friends than myself.

Loads mate, probably a couple of sheets a week.

View attachment 147745
Seriously though it's hard to tell but not a lot now I've retired. Probably print more for friends than myself.
Wow sounds like you are snowed under in paperwork. 😉
It would probably work out cheaper to go get them printed at your local library and get’s you out of the house. Also no pissing about with temperamental printers and dodgy generic printer cartridges🤔

Epson Expression Photo XP-970 Inkjet Printer​

I know it's a epson but has RJ 45 port

Here is the specs

And you can get compatible inks
Not bad price considering it's A3 capable. Not sure I could stomach another Epson though. The RJ-45 however is quite important to me.

I was I the same position I'd always had Epson but it was constant problem after problem so in a rush I took a chance and bought a cheap HP printer/scanner from Argos.
I think it was about £40-£45 came with ink but ink is only £20. I don't use it that often but had no issue's YET !. If there's one item that's built not to last it's printers , what a load of w#nk they all are

Best to do a test print every month that will stop your printer head getting blocked , if not and you have to use the printer head cleaner option it uses quite a lot of ink to clear it

Best to do a test print every month that will stop your printer head getting blocked , if not and you have to use the printer head cleaner option it uses quite a lot of ink to clear it
I've set a reminder on my mobile to do one every 4 weeks 👍

Back