null modem

AJT

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi i need to flash my DM800HD as i cannot connect via web as no ip shows.
so i have brought a rs232 null modem cable but the problem is i do not have a serial port on my computer.
are there any ways round it.
cheers

if it's a desktop PC and you have a free PCI slot, buy a PCI Serial card, which will give you "real" serial ports not emulated this will work better.
On laptops you can also get a PCMCIA to RS232 card.

if it's a desktop PC and you have a free PCI slot, buy a PCI Serial card, which will give you "real" serial ports not emulated this will work better.
On laptops you can also get a PCMCIA to RS232 card.

Hi i brought a cable its about a foot long and says its a rs232 serial converter but i dont think its null.it has usb to rs232

check in windows device manager to see which COM port your USB - Serial has been allocated then specify the relevant COM port in DreamUP.
Also you still need the null modem cable (not a straight through) plugged in from your box the the Serial/USB convertor

check in windows device manager to see which COM port your USB - Serial has been allocated then specify the relevant COM port in DreamUP.
Also you still need the null modem cable (not a straight through) plugged in from your box the the Serial/USB convertor

Hi many thanks for your help..I turn off my computer as i was feed up but after ten mins im back as i can not rest .while computer was off i put usb in a usb port in the back of computer as was using front port and booted computer again and computer installed another driver (proific serial)comm 26 so i tried dreamup again and its now working and i have started a 64min flash.
cheers for all the help guys much and very appreciated.

it shouldnt take you an hour to flash an image mate even if your having to use dreamup...

Did you flash the clone bootloader again?
Hi i have started again yes i flashed the boot-loader first and was successful then straight after without disconnecting i started new flash..the problem now is it has been saying "box is flashing from its memory for an hour now.
and i have not been able or seen an option to erase.
thank you

ok have read you do not need to erase its done in dream up but i just don't get why it wont flash?
same old messed up image that is causing all the problems.going to try yet again..have done a factory reset this time before another attempt and using a different dreamup tool..

Last edited:
I disagree with the time. Flashing over serial takes a long time. It cannot be a communicatoin issue as you succesfully flashed the clone bootloader.
For the sake of clarity, could you also stipulate the name and also link to the bootloader you flashed?
Ditto the image you are flashing.

Going by what you have said, it has been two hours now so yuo should have finished.

Can you also post a picture of your receiver with the ethernet wire plugged in. (Beginning to sound like TX)

I disagree with the time. Flashing over serial takes a long time. It cannot be a communicatoin issue as you succesfully flashed the clone bootloader.
For the sake of clarity, could you also stipulate the name and also link to the bootloader you flashed?
Ditto the image you are flashing.

Going by what you have said, it has been two hours now so yuo should have finished.

Can you also post a picture of your receiver with the ethernet wire plugged in. (Beginning to sound like TX)

still have 20 mins of flash yet..I do not have any ethernet i use wifi from next door..I am flashing over null cable only
Whats TX?

I flashed bootloader sim 201_ssl84b
i am flashing/trying to flash image "openpli-2.1-beta-dm800-20130216-sim2-ssl84b-dOOds-
box has sim 210
dm800 hd pvr clone.
All from download section here on this forum Dreambox 800HD Clone

many thanks

16:49:59 box type: DM800
16:50:50 Calculating checksum...
16:50:54 Uploading file to box...

UPdate..getting this now6:49:59 box type: DM800
16:50:50 Calculating checksum...
16:50:54 Uploading file to box...
18:14:05 box is flashing from its memory...
18:14:09 Flashing failed (!!! 010 INVALID IMAGE (OR OLD VERSION)), box will be unusable now!!

Last edited:
Back