ntl dublin nagra 2

Hi Guys I was on the phone to upc today enquiring about the new pvr box there offering and was told there not changing any of the cards for the new boxes.

Hi Guys I was on the phone to upc today enquiring about the new pvr box there offering and was told there not changing any of the cards for the new boxes.

They are using already the new card for the new Thomson boxes.
The question is if they are planing to exchange the old cards for the old boxes.

They are using already the new card for the new Thomson boxes.
The question is if they are planing to exchange the old cards for the old boxes.

Can the old NTL Pace DC221KN boxes handle a nagra2 card or will a new box plus card be sent out if this switch ever happens?

nagra2

hi guys

i'm all new to this,but will the switch over to nagra2 effect chorus cable in ireland??

Dream 500 = 50 euro.
I months sub to everything > 50 euro..

Hey it's a months risk..

when is the change over due?
and where did you get it for 50 euro??

it's only a guess when change over is at moment.

i've no more insite than you
but from what i read

they have nagra 2 for the pvr subscriptions
and they are giving out new pace boxes with nargar2 with standard subscriptions now too..

i'd guess. and only guess that there are a good few months left in it.

and i'm not sure if i believe the following but i read that they are running a test nagra2 only for a small area over the holidays... (don't really belive this one.. )

ok thanks, as you say we will only know for sure if and when it happens.

may be a silly question but as i said i'm a newbie, chorus cable are trying to get there customers to switch to digital,and when they do they get a box that doesnt have a card
so will chorus just change there frequency ???

may be a silly question but as i said i'm a newbie, chorus cable are trying to get there customers to switch to digital,and when they do they get a box that doesnt have a card
so will chorus just change there frequency ???

chorus and ntl are both owned by upc,when this encryption is introduced it will be on both chorus and ntl digital,doesnt matter if the boxes are differant or whether it has a card(it prob does have a card,its just hidden),when the encryption is changed chorus and ntl will change period!

I can see this one being hacked over time, if a sat provider was using the rev A05 that comes with these boxes would speed up the waiting process. We will just have to wait and see if Premiere or Digi Tv decide to update from rev A03 to A05.

NTL/UPC are a running joke in Ireland. Papers are full of letters complaining, irish forums like www.boards.ie have nothing but complaints about them. One morning even a TV presenter went off on a mad rant about their appalling customer service.

What I am getting at is they are completely incompetent and understaffed at the best of times- i.e. when trying to sign up new customers.

Currently they are broadcasting nargra 1 & 2, this will have to continue until every single person subscribed in the country has got a new card or box. I am not sure if they can just send out a card, I know my father would not know how to install it. A service guy would defintily have to install a new box. Now again NTL service calls are brutal, usually people have to take time off work and wait for a non-existant service guy to turn up a day late. Shoe is on the other foot now, have them by the balls, arrange a time, and dont answer the door even if they do turn up. If they post a new box I wont be home so it will go to the post office for collection- dont pick it up and it is returned to them. The onus is on THEM to change.

Back in the days of cablelink I was only around 12 and copped on that if you complained about reception they gave you free channels for a month, and told you to keep it plugged in on a certain date. I copped on they must send a signal to turn it off on that date so unplugged it. We had movies for good. I remember doing it on a mates box. I met his father many years later and he said it was still working, even though I thought a whole new system must be out by then. I reckon they are obliged to provide a service until ALL are updated. So do your best not to let them.

Back in the days of cablelink I was only around 12 and copped on that if you complained about reception they gave you free channels for a month, and told you to keep it plugged in on a certain date. I copped on they must send a signal to turn it off on that date so unplugged it. We had movies for good. I remember doing it on a mates box. I met his father many years later and he said it was still working, even though I thought a whole new system must be out by then. I reckon they are obliged to provide a service until ALL are updated. So do your best not to let them.

you must have been a very clever 12 yr old lol

Currently they are broadcasting nargra 1 & 2, this will have to continue until every single person subscribed in the country has got a new card or box.

Possibly, but the areas are segmented so its possible they could stop the N1 stream to areas already upgraded.

More likely though, there's the distinct possiblilty that once the majority of subscribers switch over to N2 the remainder of the N1 customers would be served by private Emm's only. This is easily possible once you get less than say 500,000 subscribers left on N1. As far as I am aware, no alternative box caters for AU on private Emm's. Any Mosc would also need a complete keyset which is matched to the CamId (You'll also need some quite involved knowledge on how to select a group clone target). Very few trader cards will have that !

Last edited:
Back